• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
it's costco for restaurants

you can get like a 50 pound box of cut fries, 100 pound box of wings, premade patties, large cartoons of buns, 20-30 pound containers of sauces. all different butcher brands and kinds. restaurants that want to skip supplier fees just go there and grab what they want. warm it, fry it, serve it and charge 4x the price they paid

my buddy with a local pizza joint has a card and i go with him to grab a 200 piece spicy chicken tender box. 29.99$

throw it in the air fryer and dip it on your favorite restaurant's bottled sauce from walmart and you're eating that exact food, exact taste for 1/4th the price

FWIW, Costco now has their own business centers. Much more accessible. Although if you like brand name products Restaurant Depot is the superior choice. Also, much more variety in seafood but if you are buying in those quantities just go to your local seafood market.

SmackDaddy

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Sure, but if I'm going out of my way and spending money on it, I'd expect it to be better than... just a burger.

agreed. i think also the price and speed are why people like it too. its like half the price of five guys, prly less. i think the freshness of the meal is hands down the best you can get at that speed and price. always super crunchy lettuce and onions, and juicy tomatoes.

but yeah, its not like THE BEST OMGGGG

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
In N Out gets hype as the only place that sells fresh french fries. Everyone else has corn starch coated, momentarily fried and then flash frozen french fries. It's an entirely different vibe. The type of potatoes used isn't the best, but still.
That sounds like JL Beers, a small chain in the midwest. You can see them slice and fry a potato right in front of you (as fries or chips - though the chips are better than the fries). It's a bit more expensive than In & Out, but it's also a pretty large step above, imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
omg In and Out. It's not like it's the worst burger in the world, but if there's a more than 10 minute line up to get one, go somewhere else

Honestly with In n Out, it's not even the quality of the burger - which is solid and tasty - it's that it's so cheap. I haven't lived in LA for over seven years so maybe the prices have gone up, but I used to be able to get a burger, fries, and shake for ten bucks.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like JL Beers, a small chain in the midwest. You can see them slice and fry a potato right in front of you (as fries or chips - though the chips are better than the fries). It's a bit more expensive than In & Out, but it's also a pretty large step above, imo.
Just glancing at the website, and yeah, it's likely similar. Probably not the best chips and fries in the world, but they probably lack that aftermarket taste like In N Out stuff does. Five Guys is similar; they cut whole potatoes and fry them in the restaurant instead of using fried and flash frozen ones like everyone else. They too don't have the best fries in the world, but they're a decent stop if you want some unfrozen tasting fries.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Just glancing at the website, and yeah, it's likely similar. Probably not the best chips and fries in the world, but they probably lack that aftermarket taste like In N Out stuff does. Five Guys is similar; they cut whole potatoes and fry them in the restaurant instead of using fried and flash frozen ones like everyone else. They too don't have the best fries in the world, but they're a decent stop if you want some unfrozen tasting fries.
The chips at JL are actually amazing, again imo. The fries are just kinda ok. They have a bunch of different seasonings you can order for them.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Ever since the hot chicken sandwich craze blew up in los angeles, I don't care about chick fil a

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we pretending that frozen fries aren't texturally superior from a food science standpoint.

Many foods are worse when frozen. It's the opposite with fries, which is why chefs so often utilize freezing. Temperature control is just as valid a process to implement when it goes down as when it goes up.

It's a simple dish overall but it's one where just doing the basics results in an undeniably worse produce.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
but... popeyes has the best chicken of a nationwide chain.... and five guys has the best burger in a nationwide chain.... pretty objectively, i thought?

Absolutely not, no. Not sure if serious

The Quarter Pounder outclasses a five guys burger easily. That square nonsense at Wendy's is better. Hell, a whopper probably outclasses it

Awful product

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
in n out took me a while to get since socal people severely misrepresented why it's good.
The burger's fine but nothing special, the appeal is the price. People have nostalgia for it being a good deal when they had no income as teens and it's pretty good for the price. If you're visiting from out of country and want to try it, you'll be let down for sure. I think all the "it's the best" discussion needs the asterisk of *for the price.

I don't know if it's hyped but papa john's is disgustingly sweet and I can't stomach it at all.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
Absolutely not, no. Not sure if serious

The Quarter Pounder outclasses a five guys burger easily. That square nonsense at Wendy's is better. Hell, a whopper probably outclasses it

Awful product

I couldn't disagree about fast food more vehemently.

Five Guys is where you get a homemade-tasting burg when you don't feel like prepping one. I can't stand the other three.

Oct 25, 2017
it's costco for restaurants

you can get like a 50 pound box of cut fries, 100 pound box of wings, premade patties, large cartoons of buns, 20-30 pound containers of sauces. all different butcher brands and kinds. restaurants that want to skip supplier fees just go there and grab what they want. warm it, fry it, serve it and charge 4x the price they paid

my buddy with a local pizza joint has a card and i go with him to grab a 200 piece spicy chicken tender box. 29.99$

throw it in the air fryer and dip it on your favorite restaurant's bottled sauce from walmart and you're eating that exact food, exact taste for 1/4th the price

Yea, if people ever wonder why a bunch of different chains all get the same new menu item around the same time it might be because a food supplier has something they wanted to push lol

Jun 10, 2018
I do think Shake Shack lives up to the hype personally.
Funny you say this because I think the exact opposite 😅 I just ate there again for the first time in years this past Sunday and all I could think was "mid".

Especially for that same price point (if not a little cheaper), I can go to Boardwalk and get way better food.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
Every time I've got Panda Express, the rice was undercooked and dry. If not for that, they are at least ok.

My most overrated chains are the steak places like Longhorn or Texas Roadhouse. Especially Roadhouse with the loud and overfilled dining area where I feel like I'm being pushed through a food service assembly line.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried Whataburger last year. Got like 3 different sandwiches cuz i didnt know when i could try it again and they were all just ok? I'd probably rather eat most other fast food tbh.

More like Whateverburger. Waka waka.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I tend to find most every chain restaurant and fast food to be tolerable at best. You like what you like, none of it is quality, some people enjoy it more than you, that's normal. Any hype over some new item or expanding restaurant is bullshit, but there are a few that are irredeemable as a whole to me.

Raising Cane's is just plain trash. Most sandwich chains are serving cheap Gordon's Food Service flavorless shit and everyone hates on Subway, but everything I've ever had at Firehouse Subs has tasted like it was put together from days-old discount frozen ingredients.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
If it counts, Publix subs. Every time I visit my family in Florida I hear about it(and the wings, which are great). I don't get it, they were only okay at best. I've tried several, including the tenders ones, and my take away is the bread is bad and ruins the whole thing. I am absolutely spoiled for hero/sub choices in NYC it's fucking wild. Coincidently it was also much harder than it should have been to find a bakery in Tampa that makes decent Italian bread.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
Homemade-tasting 😞

Sorry this happened to you

I mean, it's evident you've got either really trashy Five Guys or exceptional Burger Kings.

Because in no reality is a whopper even in the same hemisphere as FG burger. I don't know how BK manages to have grainy tomatoes and lettuce, but I'll be damned if they don't manage.

I've had some damned good Wendy's, so...

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
If it counts, Publix subs. Every time I visit my family in Florida I hear about it(and the wings, which are great). I don't get it, they were only okay at best. I've tried several, including the tenders ones, and my take away is the bread is bad and ruins the whole thing. I am absolutely spoiled for hero/sub choices in NYC it's fucking wild. Coincidently it was also much harder than it should have been to find a bakery in Tampa that makes decent Italian bread.

Yeah, Publix love is based on it being the best option in sandwich deserts. Growing up with all the great delis in NY/NJ I was super disappointed when I moved down south. But after sampling the other options I understood why people loved it.

15SagittaeB

Feb 12, 2022
Five Guys, I will never understand it. Their burger game is weak, their fries suck and they're overpriced as hell

While I didn't go to an US Five Guys, that also has been my experience. Sure it's nice that the patty is freshly made, but the buns just totally fall apart and the burgers aren't in any way interesting or special - I had much better ones at local burger joints, that were cheaper to boot.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
Taco Bell, at least the UK version.

After hearing about it almost weekly for years from Dan Ryckert I figured it would at least not be quite so... boring?

Not only that though, the food is just bland and cinnamon twists are awful. I was so disappointed. Very small menu too here.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Taco Bell, at least the UK version.

After hearing about it almost weekly for years from Dan Ryckert I figured it would at least not be quite so... boring?

Not only that though, the food is just bland and cinnamon twists are awful. I was so disappointed. Very small menu too here.

It's bland in the States too. The mediocre sauce carries most of the flavor for a lot of the menu items.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Whataburger is only good in Texas I've heard
Caines is complete utter trash, Chic Fil A makes better tenders
Shake Shack is OK but inferior burger to In N Out

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
Dunkin Donuts. I moved to the east coast from California a few years ago. They're is always a line and I don't get it. The coffee is OK, the donuts are OK, everything else I tried there wasn't good. And it's really expensive for what it is.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Jersey Mike's. It's good, but honestly Blimpie (RIP?) was better and had better prices. I'm spoiled being in NYC and NJ, home to better local independent stuff. And also the prices of this joint are insanity now.
prices for good subs are either expensive or they are Subway, you choose one

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, it's weird to rate chain fast food considering all the variables(management, location, whether you visited at peak hours). I'm sure there's a big difference between the random Midwest Popeye's compared to one closer to the Louisiana area.

That being said, Cane's is the correct answer. The Cane's sauce carries the entire menu HARD.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In-N-Out - Its fine for a fast food burger but has never really blown me away. When I see a hugely long line there (which is pretty much all the time), I just don't get it.

Lilification

Mar 28, 2024
I try to forget taco bell exists due to being food poisoned by them twice, but yeah they're one of the absolute worst places

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Raising canes. Chicken is whatever and the combo is lazy as fuck. A slice of toast, some shitty crinkle fries, and cole slaw. Wtf?

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
  • Raising Cane's - Every time I've tried it, the chicken was over cooked and bland, the fries were soggy and gross, and their house sauce is just okay. Everyone always talked about how great the house sauce is and it's just the same house/fry sauce every other food place has.
  • Chick-Fil-A - pretty much same complaints as Cane's. The chicken is slightly better than Cane's but still uninspiring. Waffle fries are the absolute most dogshit way to prepare a potato so they automatically lose a ton of points with me. Chick-Fil-A sauces are better than Cane's and the only redeeming factor but I don't choose restaurants based on their sauces.
  • In-N-Out - decent burger, once again just bad fries (although they aren't waffle fries so that just makes bad and not utter dogshit). But the hype surrounding it is so dumb; it's on the same level as Bucees; like, it's just a burger restaurant, and people make it like their religion. It's so weird.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
5 Guys
Jersey Mike's
Raising Cane's
Blaze Pizza
Habit Burgers
Panda Express

All those place I listed are overrated and expensive.

In N Out.

Their burgers are fine. Very much not worth the hype, but there's nothing outwardly wrong with them.

Their fries though…. Absolute trash tier. I don't get it because I can literally slice up a potato into fries, deep fry them, and the result is 500% better doing absolutely nothing special.

Like fries are impossible to mess up unless you over or undercook them. Even unsalted homemade fries are decent. In N Out fries don't seem to suffer from those problems, but how they get the cardboard texture and taste from fresh potatoes I'll never understand.

Heck, you can even bake French fries instead of frying them and the result is still worlds better. I imagine even microwaving raw potato slices would be better.

What is their secret to screwing up the most basic and foolproof thing?

That's literally what they do.... you can actually see them doing it, right in front of you. Microwaving potatoe slices.... lmao.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
burgers are good, arent they?

but... popeyes has the best chicken of a nationwide chain.... and five guys has the best burger in a nationwide chain.... pretty objectively, i thought?

If popeyes is considered the best chicken of a nationwide chain in the USA then I'll just laugh and stop even trying to find a good fast food chicken place when I visit there every year. Popeyes is bland as hell and I wouldn't even get it at half the priced they charge. Five guys also wasn't anything special when I tried it but that was 7 years ago so it may have gotten better since.