grand

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, something weird I just noticed, on Viz and Mangaplus it says the next chapter is coming in two weeks on the 14th/15th, but on the Japanese Shonen Jump+ site it says the next chapter is coming next week on the 8th.
Weird. The blurb does say the next chapter is May 8th:

0yrDv9m.png

I ran through the other weekly Wednesday series and half say 5/8 while the other half say 5/15. Dandadan also says 5/7, which Viz actually corroborates now despite the Golden Week break.

It wouldn't be unheard of for the apps to be wrong since the translations get sent out prior to those editor blurbs being added. But it should be a holiday break and Jump Plus definitely went on break during previous years. I'm not sure if this is a mistake or if Jump+ is trying a weird staggered release where only half the series go on break.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Some good character drama this chapter. Really glad to see some more of Asa and Denji clashing. She really thought telling her crush she knows how it feels to be the reason a family member died would help in this situation and then on top of that pulled back her help because of sushi. She's so good lol.

Also interesting that Yoru isn't aware of Nayuta like Fami is and the latter has kept quiet about it too. Asa and Yoru continue to fight for control, Asa just wants it over with and to let Yoru fight Chainsaw Man at this point but she cares about Denji so she's all over the place.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fuji doing a good job writing Asa and Denji this chap, I like it. Amazing reaction faces too.

I guess he doesn't notice the scars popping on/off
Sugo explained this when he met denji and they were looking at Asa posters, he said "they say scars appear on her face when she fights devils". Felt like Fujimoto using him as a mouthpiece to explain the scar thing to readers haha. Considering past chapters, it wouldn't make sense if they always became visible when Yoru assumed control.

Denji choosing sushi over steak, the food he previously saw as representing peak happiness, seems pretty deliberate. Fumiko and Barem stood for the anti-CSM and pro-CSM sides of last arc's core thematic conflict. While Fumiko sits on Denji, Sugo calls Fumiko "that sushi woman" and Denji copes about not being CSM, saying "Yeah, maybe I can't eat steak every day.... but I do eat potstickers and ice cream and other tasty foods." Denji's insistence on sushi this chapter while refusing to transform signifies his alignment with Fumiko and her anti-CSM position. Asa isn't crazy about that as she's split between Denji and CSM... but remember how she was able to first eat fish in the aquarium arc where she became fond of Denji.

Truly part 2 is a tale of surf & turf

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Since we're almost halfway through 2024 (holy shit!), I think it is fair to say that the Reze movie is coming out in 2025. Seeing as that studio will probably pivot immediately to JJK season 3 after they finish working on it, we might have to wait till late 2026 or maybe even 2027 to get the rest of Part 1.

As much as I liked MAPPA's adaptation, in hindsight I'd rather another studio with less on their plate had taken CSM so that there could have been a faster cadence. It's crazy to me that a less than 100 chapter manga (counting Part 1 as its own thing) won't be fully adapted till 7 years after it ended.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're almost halfway through 2024 (holy shit!), I think it is fair to say that the Reze movie is coming out in 2025. Seeing as that studio will probably pivot immediately to JJK season 3 after they finish working on it, we might have to wait till late 2026 or maybe even 2027 to get the rest of Part 1.

As much as I liked MAPPA's adaptation, in hindsight I'd rather another studio with less on their plate had taken CSM so that there could have been a faster cadence. It's crazy to me that a less than 100 chapter manga (counting Part 1 as its own thing) won't be fully adapted till 7 years after it ended.
There's no way they don't follow up the Reze movie with season 2 of the anime. That would be really stupid. Unless the movie does hundreds of millions and they decide to adapt all the rest as movies.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
MAPPA is self producing Chainsaw Man and avoiding the typical terrible production committee set up. That's why they can do things like have a million endings and take their time with the adaptation. But with greater opportunity comes greater risk. The production committee isn't swiping all the profit from the animation studio like normal.... But they also aren't upfronting a lot of the advertising & production costs. They'll definitely be a season 2 of Chainsaw Man because MAPPA's fate is partially tied to CSM's.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
There's no way they don't follow up the Reze movie with season 2 of the anime. That would be really stupid. Unless the movie does hundreds of millions and they decide to adapt all the rest as movies.
They'll follow it up but same team works on JJK and CSM. Those people are 100% gonna jump to JJK s3 first before adapting the rest of part 1. It'll be a long wait for the final 12 episodes possibly till late 2026 or even 2027

And there's no chance they're gonna push back JJK instead. It's one of the biggest manga/anime ever, Toho will be on MAPPAs ass to deliver the next season so they'll make a whole two cour season before finishing CSM. Just so long for what's a short and fast paced manga

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Tbh I expect that Mappa is going back to work on season 3 of JJK real soon. But they probably had enough Mappa crunch time to do a chainsaw man movie and decided to do so since JJK has nothing left that works as a movie like the last one.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MAPPA is self producing Chainsaw Man and avoiding the typical terrible production committee set up. That's why they can do things like have a million endings and take their time with the adaptation. But with greater opportunity comes greater risk. The production committee isn't swiping all the profit from the animation studio like normal.... But they also aren't upfronting a lot of the advertising & production costs. They'll definitely be a season 2 of Chainsaw Man because MAPPA's fate is partially tied to CSM's.
If that's the case....man, their CEO seems low key vile but does seem to be either taking a great gamble as he sees this series having such financial potential like we do or that this is a money siphoning scheme.

But also, yeah, JJK is their baby. It is the show that put them...on the map.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I just realized this is set in early/mid 1999, so the timeskip between p1 and p2 was over a year. People were saying the dates on the march fart chart meant 1998, which would've been only 5-6 months. The longer skip feels a lot more natural.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I just realized this is set in early/mid 1999, so the timeskip between p1 and p2 was over a year. People were saying the dates on the march fart chart meant 1998, which would've been only 5-6 months. The longer skip feels a lot more natural.
We don't know if the current year is 1999. Barem's reference to the king of terror/death arrival in half a year could be separate from the July 1999 doomsday. Which would make sense as the 4 horsemen precede the apocalypse.

Also there was a lengthy timeskip when Asa joined the CSM church so that could account for the gap as well. Since there's still green foliage in the environment and people are shown wearing warmer weather clothing, I think it's more likely that we're now in the Summer of 98. With Death arriving at the beginning of 99 to begin the lead up to the apocalypse.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know if the current year is 1999. Barem's reference to the king of terror/death arrival in half a year could be separate from the July 1999 doomsday. Which would make sense as the 4 horsemen precede the apocalypse.

Also there was a lengthy timeskip when Asa joined the CSM church so that could account for the gap as well. Since there's still green foliage in the environment and people are shown wearing warmer weather clothing, I think it's more likely that we're now in the Summer of 98. With Death arriving at the beginning of 99 to begin the lead up to the apocalypse.
The year is actually 2007 or later since they referenced a song from that year in that karaoke chapter

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT THE OLY FUCK

LIKE WHATEVER DUDE, CAST HIM FIRE PUNCH ADAPTATION SOMEHOW AH

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
CH 165

NOTHING CHEERS UP A MAN FASTER THAN BONING A WOMAN

Dude just said that out loud, after smoking on the train.
Also, I am kinda surprised that Katana is sorta sympathetic to Denji.
Katana doesn't want to beat a pathetic, weak version of Denji/Chainsaw Man. He wants him in his best condition. Otherwise, he won't enjoy defeating him.

I love the world building showing how messed up everything has become, especially that panel of the mother missing an eye sleeping with her son on the subway with ruined buildings behind them. Denji's right: there is no regular life to return to.

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
More of a transitionary chapter, but we got some great character and world-building moments.

Nice to see Katana having more of a character than just "dead Grandpa", not sure I want the series to go to a Soapland tho... not with how many bad experiences Denji has with adults hitting on him.

Fami is being extra cagey about her goals, obviously in order to manipulate Asa and Yoru to do what she wants, but I do like that this touches on how murky of an idea it is to save someone when Denji doesn't want to be "saved".

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Asa: "Sure she did some bad things before, but Fami's heart is in the right place. Right?"
Fami: "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I love this chapter. So much character work in so few pages along with a peek at the state of the city.

That feeling of not being able to go back to how things were along with Denji's horror at how nonchalant they are being about death is well done.

Asa is desperate to save Denji at this point but I don't trust Fami one bit.

I like how consistent Katana is in being a fucking asshole toxic masculinity yakuza.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Asa and Denji really need to sit down and talk. She knows pretty much nothing about his past and what he went through. Denji pretty much sees being Chainsaw Man as an upgrade to being homeless and hungry (he's not wrong).

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, heavy chapter. Usually these type of stories make you wonder if the powers the MC got were worth all the trouble and trauma, but in Denji's case his life truly was absolute shit before becoming Chainsaw Man, so of course he doesn't want to go back to that. Hopefully this story somehow lets him have a semblance of a happy ending... but after Part 1's ending and Nayuta currently missing it's hard to have any hope.

Also love how blatantly sus Fami is, but they all just roll with it anyways

In the meantime we get some much needed levity with Katana suggesting Denji hits up a brothel. Given his past experiences with older women, surely nothing can go wrong!

Oh no