• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to it!

Between Dune Part 2 and La Chimera, Josh O'Connor and Zendaya have been on a roll this year.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Caught this last week and loved it. Multiple parts had me grinning, largely due to the tremendous soundtrack.

Script is great and performances are fantastic.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Just as a heads up, $5 ticket for this in the T Mobile Tuesday (well, now it's T-Life???) app this week

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Caught this last week and loved it. Multiple parts had me grinning, largely due to the tremendous soundtrack.

Script is great and performances are fantastic.
Soundtrack is awesome as expected. I mentioned there was some overindulgent moments, but it's really only a couple scenes where the music just kept vibing, which I normally don't mind but it did seem a bit more inconsistent.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Our theater had a preview screening and I'm very glad I caught this in IMAX, the soundtrack and especially the climax really hit being played that loudly. Also it was actually framed for IMAX which caught me by surprise.

It's certainly a spin on the old Rocky formula, but I thought this was just incredible. Mike Faist and Josh O'Conner killed it so hard that by the end Zendaya kinda got left behind, I hope they get recognition come award season.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Is it as sexy as it seems? My wife and I have been lamenting the loss of steamy flicks, and this one seems like it might be a little spicier.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Saw this on Sunday and really liked it. Far more non-linear than I was expecting and the soundtrack is GREAT. Has a really nice presentation to it as a whole. Zendaya commands the screen whenever she's in it, I really can't wait to see where else she goes in her career.

Oct 27, 2017
Did not expect the crazy high reviews (honestly can't remember the last metacritic score I saw that high, lead by a pop-culture celebrity)

I just hope this cements the end of the annoying "Zendaya isn't that good of an actress." or "she doesn't really have range"

Just weirdo takes poo-pooing a young Black actress.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Great movie, loved the themes and editing, it starts a little slow and then it keeps speeding up, I really didn't want it to end.
The soundtrack is definitely Oscar worthy and yes, I'm a Reznor fanboy.
Great acting by everyone, Zendaya obliterated any possible critic there. I'm sure it will get better with every rewatch, had that "The Social Network" feeling all over it.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
absolutely vibed with this. this is guadagnino's most energetic and accessible movie by far, and i thought everything came together with the movie ending on a high note.

the non-linear flow made for a good way of pacing the narrative and its action. you really see how much the sport wears down the characters--they're constant players on and off the court, always volleying their thoughts and emotions at one another and scrutinizing their opponents on an intimate level. we're never not observers to the sport. our heads are always on a swivel.

i've been in a media rut lately, and this movie brought something back to me. i loved it and will probably watch it again in imax soon (watched it in dolby on monday). oh, and that score is straight HEAT!!

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to check this one out. We finally get a taste of some NIN dance music.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Honestly this is the most excited I've been in a while for a non-genre movie.

Zendaya has to have one of the most iconic careers at the moment. It's wild how much good stuff she's been in in just the past 5 years alone.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly this is the most excited I've been in a while for a non-genre movie.

Zendaya has to have one of the most iconic careers at the moment. It's wild how much good stuff she's been in in just the past 5 years alone.
Is it that wild though?

It's basically just Dune 1&2, Challengers and Season 1 of Euphoria. Maybe No Way Home (though I don't really consider that a good movie).

There are plenty of actors who have been in equal or more good projects in that same time period.

Not that Zendaya's recent career isn't impressive, but there are a lot of young actors going through a similar trajectory right now.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Is it that wild though?

It's basically just Dune 1&2, Challengers and Season 1 of Euphoria. Maybe No Way Home (though I don't really consider that a good movie).

There are plenty of actors who have been in equal or more good projects in that same time period.

Not that Zendaya's recent career isn't impressive, but there are a lot of young actors going through a similar trajectory right now.
Who would you say compares?

She's the star of one of the biggest tv shows of this era, has 2 billion dollar franchises (One for the casuals and one for the film bros) and now she's in a fairly expensive prestige drama that'll probably get her an academy award nomination. Not to mention how big she is on the social media front.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
hahahahahha!!

Loved the comparison. Thanks!
Any time! It was honestly my immediate takeaway.

It's honestly so much more, but this isn't a lovey-dovey film. It has a timeline, past to present. It expertly weaves around this timeline, crafting three very compelling and different characters, so when you get to your "Rocky vs Apollo" you're completely enthralled.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
Hoping to see it this weekend. NFL draft kinda prevented me from going yesterday today, I should have seen it when I had the chance during the sneak preview monday.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Who would you say compares?

She's the star of one of the biggest tv shows of this era, has 2 billion dollar franchises (One for the casuals and one for the film bros) and now she's in a fairly expensive prestige drama that'll probably get her an academy award nomination. Not to mention how big she is on the social media front.
  • TimothĂ©e Chalamet (though tbf, his rise started a bit earlier, but he's been in a lot of amazing films over the past 5 years)
  • Sydney Sweeney (not as critically successful, but her career has been insane the past years, going from a small role in a Quentin Tarantino film in 2019 to being the (co-)lead in 5 (!) films just in the last year. Honestly, that almost has to be some sort of record.)
  • Rebecca Ferguson (she's older, but her career has been on an equal insane rise as Zendaya's)
  • Olivia Colman (also older, but went from an actress mostly known by fans of British comedy to arguably the most well-known and loved British actress of the moment)
  • Paul Mescal (from literally nothing to one of the most in demand young actors and an Oscar nominee within five years)
  • Margaret Qualley (has, within five years, played major/lead roles in movies by Quentin Tarantino, Claire Denis, Yorgos Lanthimos & Ethan Coen and also played the lead in one of the highest reviewed Netflix shows of the past years)
  • Florence Pugh (I think she's the one to beat when it comes to the past 5 years, just insane)

Tbh, I don't really take box office return into account, more just the quality of the projects.

Also, none of the actors mentioned above have in the last five years been in anything as awful as Malcolm & Marie, though I don't blame Zendaya for that. That's more because Sam Levinson is the woooooorst.

Last edited:

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
  • TimothĂ©e Chalamet (though tbf, his rise started a bit earlier, but he's been in a lot of amazing films over the past 5 years)
  • Sydney Sweeney (not as critically successful, but her career has been insane the past years, going from a small role in a Quentin Tarantino film in 2019 to being the (co-)lead in 5 (!) films just in the last year. Honestly, that almost has to be some sort of record.)
  • Rebecca Ferguson (she's older, but her career has been on an equal insane rise as Zendaya's)
  • Olivia Colman (also older, but went from an actress mostly known by fans of British comedy to arguably the most well-known and loved British actress of the moment)
  • Paul Mescal (from literally nothing to one of the most in demand young actors and an Oscar nominee within five years)
  • Margaret Qualley (has, within five years, played major/lead roles in movies by Quentin Tarantino, Claire Denis, Yorgos Lanthimos & Ethan Coen and also played the lead in one of the highest reviewed Netflix shows of the past years)
  • Florence Pugh (I think she's the one to beat when it comes to the past 5 years, just insane)

Definitely agree that all of them have had impressive rises but I don't know, I would still say Zendaya's on another level. She has 10x the amount of followers on social media as Chalamet and Sweeney, and generally all of her works have been huge while being critically acclaimed.

Like the idea of a 50+ million original movie based around star power feels impossible in this age. I can maybe see Chalamet getting a movie like that in the next few years but Zendaya getting a movie like Challengers (As a producer as well) is a huge achievement, and I'm not sure if any of the others would really have the clout to get that opportunity.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on tuesday and forgot to post my immediate reaction but wowowowowoWOW. WOW. The feelings I was feeling when I left that cinema holy shiiiiiiiiit I felt like I needed to run laps to burn off that tension lmao

Is it as sexy as it seems? My wife and I have been lamenting the loss of steamy flicks, and this one seems like it might be a little spicier.
If you haven't pls still go check it out, while there aren't many steamy scenes the sexual tension is off the damn charts, it's still plenty sexy in its own right

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely agree that all of them have had impressive rises but I don't know, I would still say Zendaya's on another level. She has 10x the amount of followers on social media as Chalamet and Sweeney, and generally all of her works have been huge while being critically acclaimed.

Like the idea of a 50+ million original movie based around star power feels impossible in this age. I can maybe see Chalamet getting a movie like that in the next few years but Zendaya getting a movie like Challengers (As a producer as well) is a huge achievement, and I'm not sure if any of the others would really have the clout to get that opportunity.
The opportunity of playing the lead in a Luca Guadagnino movie? Thimothée Chalamet's entire career exists because he played the lead in a Luca Guadagnino film that blew everyone away. He was also in a second one a couple of years ago which was unfortunately not as successful (but still good).

I'm kidding of course, but yeah... I'm not really sure how Zendaya is that unique. She's just one of the new stars who are getting cast in a lot of high profile stuff. Her work is impressive, but I personally don't think she's on another level than those other people I mentioned.

Mairu

Oct 25, 2017
SF Bay Area
Probably my favorite soundtrack in years, thinking about seeing the movie again just because the music was used so well. Didn't expect to enjoy the movie as much as I did, really excellent all around

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
The opportunity of playing the lead in a Luca Guadagnino movie? Thimothée Chalamet's entire career exists because he played the lead in a Luca Guadagnino film that blew everyone away. He was also in a second one a couple of years ago which was unfortunately not as successful (but still good).

I'm kidding of course, but yeah... I'm not really sure how Zendaya is that unique. She's just one of the new stars who are getting cast in a lot of high profile stuff. Her work is impressive, but I personally don't think she's on another level than those other people I mentioned.
Yeah, I don't think Zendaya's acting trajectory is all that different.

What makes her stand out, though, is that she gets equal attention for being a fashion diva. So every time a movie of hers comes out, she gets a ton of press that lesser red carpet starlets like Sydney Sweeney or Florence Pugh don't, and the ubiquity of the coverage makes her seem like a much higher profile celebrity (as opposed to just high profile actress).

Kind of like how despite not really being in movies that were all that massive on their own, Angelina Jolie managed to outshine her contemporaries like Sandra Bullock and Cameron Diaz in the public consciousness because she was such an unmissable presence in a movie's promo cycle.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was a damn good movie. Also this movie was the perfect example of a film where the music itself felt like a character. The way it was utilized throughout was so hilariously cheeky.

Yeah, I don't think Zendaya's acting trajectory is all that different.

What makes her stand out, though, is that she gets equal attention for being a fashion diva. So every time a movie of hers comes out, she gets a ton of press that lesser red carpet starlets like Sydney Sweeney or Florence Pugh don't, and the ubiquity of the coverage makes her seem like a much higher profile celebrity (as opposed to just high profile actress).

Kind of like how despite not really being in movies that were all that massive on their own, Angelina Jolie managed to outshine her contemporaries like Sandra Bullock and Cameron Diaz in the public consciousness because she was such an unmissable presence in a movie's promo cycle.

I agree with you, sticking strictly to acting others like Pugh are just as good if not better. But as a whole, I definitely understand Zendaya having the bigger celebrity compared to others around her own age.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020

I'm not really saying she's unique but that she's the most successful of her peers.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this on tuesday and forgot to post my immediate reaction but wowowowowoWOW. WOW. The feelings I was feeling when I left that cinema holy shiiiiiiiiit I felt like I needed to run laps to burn off that tension lmao

If you haven't pls still go check it out, while there aren't many steamy scenes the sexual tension is off the damn charts, it's still plenty sexy in its own right
Oh snap, we'll go check it this weekend! Thanks for the response!

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
watched it again last night. just as exhilarating and galvanizing as the first time, if not more so. picked up a bit more on the nuances with the characters (w/ their personalities, motivations, and their dynamics, and how the script presents em).

the audience i had this time around were a lot more reactive and into the movie than the first audience. elevated the experience a lot.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I'll straight up tell you all but I did not like this movie and thought the drama was nonsensical and manipulative even if that was the point.

No spoilers but honestly some of the stuff was just nonsensical and as one other review put up it's completely and utterly lying to you saying that the film is the most sexy film of the year. Lol I already saw that and it wasn't this.

I wasn't going to see this even with the $5 deal however Double Toasted did this whole thing about "if I could buy a ticket and watch people's reactions through the movie it would definitely be worth it!"

I counted five people who left halfway through the movie and never came back but then realized that I turned around since I was sitting in the front row about a quarter of the theater that was seated by the time the movie started (around like 30) were already gone.

Take it as you will I think there's a certain percentage of people who will like the drama but to be honest with you a lot of people do not like being lied to and especially considering this is a pretty openly conservative area.. I honestly don't know what these people are expecting.

I will say it did capture that kind of competitive spirit of sports people I remember working in an insurance agency and this one dude was their part-time and was training for some sort of jogging or athletic event and anytime he wasn't talking about insurance he would be talking about how much he trained and was up 2 hours before work jogging.

Sadly he didn't qualify for a Olympic qualifier or whatever but he really kept pushing it. So in that regard it absolutely captured that kind of spirit. I did kind of find it funny they were so many sponsorships that the tennis dude takes but it's what it is.

If you like and appreciate nude men? Yes lol. Though it's mainly just plain nudity for the sake of. Again no spoilers it's just.. it's there!

Seriously made so many people leave!

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I'll straight up tell you all but I did not like this movie and thought the drama was nonsensical and manipulative even if that was the point.

No spoilers but honestly some of the stuff was just nonsensical and as one other review put up it's completely and utterly lying to you saying that the film is the most sexy film of the year. Lol I already saw that and it wasn't this.

I wasn't going to see this even with the $5 deal however Double Toasted did this whole thing about "if I could buy a ticket and watch people's reactions through the movie it would definitely be worth it!"

I counted five people who left halfway through the movie and never came back but then realized that I turned around since I was sitting in the front row about a quarter of the theater that was seated by the time the movie started (around like 30) were already gone.

Take it as you will I think there's a certain percentage of people who will like the drama but to be honest with you a lot of people do not like being lied to and especially considering this is a pretty openly conservative area.. I honestly don't know what these people are expecting.

I will say it did capture that kind of competitive spirit of sports people I remember working in an insurance agency and this one dude was their part-time and was training for some sort of jogging or athletic event and anytime he wasn't talking about insurance he would be talking about how much he trained and was up 2 hours before work jogging.

Sadly he didn't qualify for a Olympic qualifier or whatever but he really kept pushing it. So in that regard it absolutely captured that kind of spirit. I did kind of find it funny they were so many sponsorships that the tennis dude takes but it's what it is.

If you like and appreciate nude men? Yes lol. Though it's mainly just plain nudity for the sake of. Again no spoilers it's just.. it's there!

You had me at sports movie and sealed it with dicks. Thank you!

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Tbh, I don't really take box office return into account, more just the quality of the projects.

Also, none of the actors mentioned above have in the last five years been in anything as awful as Malcolm & Marie, though I don't blame Zendaya for that. That's more because Sam Levinson is the woooooorst.

Have any of them been on Dancing with the Stars like Zendaya? đź‘€

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
This unexpectedly ended up being my favorite movie of the year so far. Those last 15 minutes were insane and had me at the edge of my seat. My reacted really well to one specific moment that was set up so well. Zendaya, Mike Faist, and Josh O'Connor deserve all the praise they get.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL

I'm sorry but this is so silly. We are so washed if a two-minute locker room scene is what makes people leave in a movie that exudes sexual tension throughout. And that scene is like 3/4ths of the way through!

dphrygian

Oct 28, 2017
Texas
I loved this movie. Surprisingly funny, sexy, and tense. All three leads were excellent. The slow build to Patrick signaling the affair by using Art's tic was so good. Fantastic score by Reznor+Ross (and definitely a Choice to put EDM over dialogue). Some wild cinematography (the wide angle closeups in the churros scene, the tennis ball cam at the end). Didn't love the amount of obvious product placement but it wasn't too distracting.

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. Didn't quite do me in like Call Me By Your Name but it was really fun and well put together.