Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having been watching From on Epix, I saw that Chapelwaite, with Adrien Brody, was also recommended.
Based on Jerusalem's lot, a Stephen King ng short story prequel for Salem's Lot set in the 1850's, I wasn't ready for what the show really is...

Very well shot and acted, it also probably is the closest we've gotten to a Bloodborne-esque tv series outside of the initial film Brotherhood of the Wolves (film which inspired Miyazaki).
Given the ending I'm really not sure where season 2 will go, but really looking forward to it.

I'll put screencaps behing spoiler tags, just in case you want to see the influence.
Of course, beware spoilers.

chapelwaite-tv-series-poster-stephen-king-1261585.jpeg

CW_105_00790_R.jpg

chapelwaite-lg.jpg

chapel_comb_hd_gj_v02_1_8-1200x675.jpg

FCFHpsVXMAIotB-.jpg

father-son-holy-gore-chapelwaite-jakub-at-chapelwaite.png

father-son-holy-gore-chapelwaite-de-vermis-mysteriis-eclipse.png

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those screenshots definitely gave off some serious Bloodborne vibes, which is STILL the best thing FromSoftware has ever done for me. Will check this out, the atmosphere looks incredible in those shots.

OP
OP
Elandyll

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The influence, like the big reveals, is more evident in the second half, but the show was imo great throughout.

OP
OP
Elandyll

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ohh just loved salems lot. is this one season & done like a miniseries?
It got renewed for a second season, but given the ending I have no idea where they'll go from here.
I hope they will keep the mix of victorian horror and cosmic horror, it's definitely a thing that sets it appart for me.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, weirdly enough I actually just read Jerusalem's Lot for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I knew it was loosely related to Salem's Lot and was expecting more vampire shenanigans but boy howdy do things take a turn in the story. Loved it. I'll have to check out the show.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was just about to start this today as well done From just ended. I'm also going to re-listen to the short story audiobook to refresh my memory.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Chapelwaite was one of my favorites of last year.

Both classically Gothic but also very much straightforward horror, this was so much my thing that I was worried it wasn't going to live up to my expectations but thankfully it did. Cast was strong, atmosphere was on point, the ending was great, and it had one of my favorite moments of last year when Adrien Brody harpoons his vampiric uncle and they yank him into the house. So great.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Woah, I'd seen the still ads here and there but had no idea this was based on Jerusalem's Lot.

I read Salem's Lot about 5--7 years ago when reading Dark Tower and read Jerusalem's Lot right after finishing Salem's Lot. Jerusalem's Lot was good.

One of the creepiest King shorts imo. I still remember all these years later the description of the inside of the church. Creepy af.

Now I gotta watch this. Hopefully it's pretty creepy/uncomfortable?

OP
OP
Elandyll

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In my humble opinion it's leagues better (and I liked From ok, though a little too "Lost-ish" for its own good).

Oct 27, 2017
It is crazy that this got such a mediocre response from critics - just finished episode 8 and so far the show has done a great job balancing all of the different elements really well - a great effective horror show with a lot more - can't wait for season 2

I just finished up Chapelwaite and was very pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it from start to finish. I only have one real question.
Who was the Bloodborne-esque looking figure that was killing people and gathering their blood in buckets? Did I miss a reveal of who it was?

OP
OP
Elandyll

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished up Chapelwaite and was very pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it from start to finish. I only have one real question.
Who was the Bloodborne-esque looking figure that was killing people and gathering their blood in buckets? Did I miss a reveal of who it was?
I don't think there was a reveal per se, but it is implied it was one of Jakub's followers gathering food (and it seems Philip and Stephen liked to get their food directly from the source).

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
loved it actually (although agree with others that it felt a few episodes too long), watched it around Halloween time last year and it was perfect, i was totally stoked when they announced season 2 as it thought it was a limited series

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Man this show gets really good in the back half. I just finished episode 8 now and that entire episode was tense AF.