• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Lara Croft in Tomb Raider 2013/Rise. Not talking about how she looks, talking about her asinine characterization through narrative tools

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
There's usually someone in any given unskippable cutscene dungeon in FFXIV...

HcOQuiX.jpg

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
i0T4xKt.png

Zavok from the Sonic series. Supposed to be a big bad at the same level as Metal Sonic but just looks like a big goof overall.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
One of the Antagonists of Days Gone looks like the Main Character without a beard but he wears his Cappy forwards instead of backwards like Deacon does and i just could never not laugh about this fact.
latest

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Those little guys are called Grunts lol.

Pretty sure if my memory is correct in the lore they are like 5.5 ft tall and weigh about 250lbs. So in real life they would be frightening but since Chief is such a unit they seem really small haha.

The concept art for the Halo series definitely makes the aliens more intimidating then they appear in the games.
An example :
6fba426842b8ac6e9311610a70875989.jpg

1063344-jumppack_brute.jpg
Yeah, I totally saw these and they were cool and way more intimidating. In game, they are like odd and in contrast with Master Chief. Like shit, I saw the new armor on Infinite and I was like, "HOLY FUCK! That looks clean!" Saw the gameplay and was like...what? One of the coolest looking dudes in gaming should have equally cool looking enemies. Maybe later in the game you get to fight enemies like that? Oh, also, (I only played like 2 or 3 hours of a few of the beginning stages of every Halo in the MCC), do you ever get to fight large scale bosses or is it always more humanoid sized ones!?

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Those little guys are called Grunts lol.

Pretty sure if my memory is correct in the lore they are like 5.5 ft tall and weigh about 250lbs. So in real life they would be frightening but since Chief is such a unit they seem really small haha.

The concept art for the Halo series definitely makes the aliens more intimidating then they appear in the games.
An example :
6fba426842b8ac6e9311610a70875989.jpg

1063344-jumppack_brute.jpg
wonder how that feels as a concept artist lol

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
You said it was a weird observation? I wasn't looking for it. Besides, when JRPGs and anime tend to have questionable sexualization of child characters, I don't think I could be far off the mark on what I observed. Relax. I'm not trying to get you to see it in how I'm seeing it. You're coming off like I insulted you or something in the way I replied to you initially.

Honestly though, I really wasn't trying to shit on your initial post. I thought it was interesting.
Your first comment to me was fine, but the second is you insisting a character model/render clearly has a camel toe when it doesn't and that I'm somehow intentionally being obtuse about seeing it is what caught me off guard. So I would consider that a "weird" conversation to go into. Strange, bizarre, whatever else you wanna call it, but I wasn't trying to call you a pedophile like that other person said - and I do apologize if that's how it sounded. My posts can can come off a little stronger than I intend sometimes even though I'm really not that upset.

A you sure fooled me lol I wouldn't have guessed you thought anything else I posted was interesting. Doesn't sound like we read into each others posting styles well then.

"It's very clearly a bodysuit at first glance" this thread kind of proves that hypothesis false but I'm glad we're going back to implying anyone who sees it is a pedophile

You called people weird for even sugguesting the render looked naked at first glance. You can't possibly claim you didn't know what the implications of that statement were.

I called that conversation weird because that poster jumped right to claiming there was a camel toe and that I somehow wasn't seeing it....that was the weird part. And I apologized above already if that's how it came off, because it wasn't my intent. And I don't appreciate you implying I called someone a pedophile when I didn't.

What statement specifically? Because I mean, maybe at a very fast first glance or if it was a black and white image I could see some people making a quick judgement, but actually taking a good look at the design it becomes pretty clear it's a jumpsuit.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
BEHOLD!!! the be all, end all!!!

rachel from resident evil revelations

d7u793s-a7b93d04-fb81-4534-84ad-6847b4f705f0.jpg

This and several others put me off the entire game. She can't see. It's just nonsense.

Resident Evil 1 was such an awesome game in part because the designs were all simple and practical, and yet the characters were memorable. This try-hard nonsense cheapens the franchise.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
This and several others put me off the entire game. She can't see. It's just nonsense.

Resident Evil 1 was such an awesome game in part because the designs were all simple and practical, and yet the characters were memorable. This try-hard nonsense cheapens the franchise.

interesting. I thought that was lien neville from KOF Maximum Impact. I hadn't played KOF in so long.

dbbkrzc-6f89ed6e-75b7-4a24-b0f9-005a4f760da4.png

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Yeah, I totally saw these and they were cool and way more intimidating. In game, they are like odd and in contrast with Master Chief. Like shit, I saw the new armor on Infinite and I was like, "HOLY FUCK! That looks clean!" Saw the gameplay and was like...what? One of the coolest looking dudes in gaming should have equally cool looking enemies. Maybe later in the game you get to fight enemies like that? Oh, also, (I only played like 2 or 3 hours of a few of the beginning stages of every Halo in the MCC), do you ever get to fight large scale bosses or is it always more humanoid sized ones!?
Halo for the most part doesnt have bosses. The only large "Boss encounters" are against Scarabs(giant 4 legged vehicle). The other boss fights against smaller enemies are honestly not very good unfortuneately.

For the most part you'll be fighting the same enemies (Grunts, Jackals, Elites, Brutes, Hunters, The Flood) over the series, Halo 4 finally introduced a new enemy type(people dont really like them).

The joy of Halo campaigns are the sandboxes, enemy encounters and the story(if you like it). The games are a lot better on co-op as well if that's an option.

As someone who grew up playing Halo, my experiences with the franchise will be totally different from those coming in 19 years later.

Chief is definitely fresh af though, especially in Infinite lol.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the newcomers in Street Fighter 5 look terrible

Ed, Abigail and Falke just look crap
Lucia is just a plain ass cop
Necalli is decent idea, probably just his hair clipping all the time ruins it
Sean also looks like a dork but he gets a pass beacuse he isnt playable

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Halo for the most part doesnt have bosses. The only large "Boss encounters" are against Scarabs(giant 4 legged vehicle). The other boss fights against smaller enemies are honestly not very good unfortuneately.

For the most part you'll be fighting the same enemies (Grunts, Jackals, Elites, Brutes, Hunters, The Flood) over the series, Halo 4 finally introduced a new enemy type(people dont really like them).

The joy of Halo campaigns are the sandboxes, enemy encounters and the story(if you like it). The games are a lot better on co-op as well if that's an option.

As someone who grew up playing Halo, my experiences with the franchise will be totally different from those coming in 19 years later.

Chief is definitely fresh af though, especially in Infinite lol.
Oh, I see! Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea. We will have different experiences, you are right, and you are also correct on the fact Chief is fresh AF!

Desi

Oct 30, 2017

I mean, we could obviously post an endless supply of trashy weeb designs from a bunch of modern JRPGs (and they are all worthy of criticism). However, more than any of them, I think Cindy's design bothers me the most. She is absolutely emblematic of the entire game's chauvinistic foundation. Not only am I not able to take her character seriously, but she is indicative of why I can't take the game seriously.
I always feel that the main issue with Cindy's outfit is because she is dressed for a Music Festival like Tomorrowland or Coachella but got called into work. Her outfit is actually "realistic/grounded" as I see cropped jackets, booty shorts, and bikini wear all summer. This shit doesn't compliment her active profession or role so she sticks out like a sore thumb and it is bad. If they went the beach outfit route DLC that all games and anime do her outfit wouldn't contrast so much.

Noctis and the Bros(& sister) get a pass as they dress like they come from Insomnia and you can guess that its citizens dress up like that except maybe not as luxurious lol

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I totally saw these and they were cool and way more intimidating. In game, they are like odd and in contrast with Master Chief. Like shit, I saw the new armor on Infinite and I was like, "HOLY FUCK! That looks clean!" Saw the gameplay and was like...what? One of the coolest looking dudes in gaming should have equally cool looking enemies.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston

The chewbacca-like character (forgive me for not knowing the names) seemed ok, and more fitting with what I thought Halo would look like. Now, the speaking aliens? Nah fam, they don't seem to belong to the Halo world I had in my mind. They look oddly cartoonish and way too colorful (like an enemy from Jet Force Gemini). It's that dissonance between MC and the enemies again, it feels like two different art styles to me. Again, y'all are very used to it and were raised with it, but it looks very odd to me, a newcomer.

Oh, and to clarify, is not that I dislike the designs, it's just that the enemies look like the belong in a different game, even while looking good.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The chewbacca-like character (forgive me for not knowing the names) seemed ok, and more fitting with what I thought Halo would look like. Now, the speaking aliens? Nah fam, they don't seem to belong to the Halo world I had in my mind. They look oddly cartoonish and way too colorful (like an enemy from Jet Force Gemini). It's that dissonance between MC and the enemies again, it feels like two different art styles to me. Again, y'all are very used to it and were raised with it, but it looks very odd to me, a newcomer.

Oh, and to clarify, is not that I dislike the designs, it's just that the enemies look like the belong in a different game, even while looking good.
Well....forget what you had in mind and think it should look like, and engage with what they gave you.

It's an alliance of alien species, I wouldn't expect them to look similar to humans and human culture.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Well....forget what you had in mind and think it should look like, and engage with what they gave you.

It's an alliance of alien species, I wouldn't expect them to look similar to humans and human culture.
It's not supposed to look human-like in mind, at all. It's just that I feel like there is disconnection between the main character and the world (even the ships look amazing) and the enemies. I can't get over that dissonance, and that's why I mention some of the enemies as I couldn't take them seriously. I've talked with a few Halo fans before and they understand what I mean even if they don't necessarily agree. It's ok. We all have opinions.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a great design but would be better without the pantie showing like that.

but she's the horniest or zeros sex addict sisters. And that's not like head cannon. That's the story. It makes sense if we're not discussing the actual problems of the character or story otherwise.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
0dbc282fefa8c5ac778c8bebdde8ea8b9215fef3_00.jpg

DIgimon Cyber Sleuth tried to convince me that somehow this woman is a well-respected detective.
Is she just... hanging out at home? Because I could just barely buy that.

If she's actually out in the field, then that's stupid.

If this is just her online avatar, then it's stupid, but most avatars are dumb.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm more surprised about the fact that a woman designed this character.

Japanese artists are culturally a lot less reserved in regards to sexy designs, regardless of gender. I've seen plenty of shoujo series with skeevy designs, including Sailor Moon itself.

Japanese fanart overall is very fanservice-oriented and it leaks to creative output.

Azhcrove

Nov 30, 2017
I care not for the particular cardinal direction in which they came from, but most mascot characters that are designed to look small and cute. Baby Yoda? Definitely not my thing. Moogles? As a DRK main, they can catch these hands too. List goes on, but luckily it seldom ruins things for me.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Most any character that was clearly designed to be grim and gritty makes me snicker uncontrollably. Gears of War was impossible for me to finish for this reason.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I personally find Adam Jensen from the recent Deus Ex games to be a little bit try-hard design-wise. Although a lot of that might be the performance and the voice acting that I saw in the trailers (I haven't actually played any of those games).

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I personally find Adam Jensen from the recent Deus Ex games to be a little bit try-hard design-wise. Although a lot of that might be the performance and the voice acting that I saw in the trailers (I haven't actually played any of those games).
His voice is fucking terrible and try hard as all hell

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
He looks like a fucking idiot, even by FF standards
latest
Honestly one of the main reasons I can't bring myself to play FFXV. How did we get to this point.

One of the Antagonists of Days Gone looks like the Main Character without a beard but he wears his Cappy forwards instead of backwards like Deacon does and i just could never not laugh about this fact.
latest
Lookin like your fentanyl dealer cousin from Indiana who stole your bmx bike to sell for parts back in 2002

Last edited: