CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The topic title say's it all. I was thinking recently about gay representation, and how video game creators seemingly used to be uneasy about having confirmed gay characters in their game. It's changed quite a bit, but it's still present, so I thought we could talk about characters, a large group of people believe are non-hetro, but it was never confirmed.

CourteousBewitchedBrahmancow-size_restricted.gif

OXIgvD6.gif

Ocelot's main motivation is his undying loyalty and admiration for Big Boss, in Metal Gear and in both Snake Eater and Phantom Pain, he displays immense attraction towards him. And while they never say he's gay, but his romantic attraction has been stated numerous times. Which kinda carry overs to his son.

tumblr_o8z7y6DmF71uetr35o3_500.gifv

Fang and Vanille from Final Fantasy 13 was a standout, and their relationship is defined by their loyalty and love for each other. I believe the director of the game stated one of them was originally going to be a man, which say's quite a bit about their relationship which is unchanged despite them both being girls. They have a ton of intimate moments.

tumblr_p12aa6EmU51s2w5q7o1_500.gif

I would argue Ignis (Iggy) from Final Fantasy 15 has wayyyyyy more chemistry with the main character then with Noct's actual lover interest Luna. And that his entire life is dedicated to his Prince's well being, to the point of admitting he would let the entire world burn if it meant keeping him safe. His devotion includes him being willing to sacrifice his life twice in order to protect him, and he became a master chief solely so he could make Noct happy. It's clear he loves him, and me (and alot of other people) think it's romantic.

Share some of your favorites.

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
Velvet and Eleanor in Tales of Berseria, there's even a kind of confession scene in Titania.

At the beginning of the game, Velvet is a little flirty with her friend Niko too.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely read Ignis as gay as well, but I honestly found him and Gladio to have more of a thing than him and Noct.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
sylvando: the thread

(this one's cheating because enough of it is in the text, but still technically unconfirmed)

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sora deep down loves Riku more than Kairi. He broke down the moment he found him in KH2

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The "No character is gay unless it's explicity stated" thing has always been pretty bizarre. Ocelot straight up says he's in love with Big Boss in V.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Strong male bonds can exist without homosexuality.

Saying that, I agree Ocelot was gay.

Chris Redfield is not gay.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every character in Overwatch is gay except for Moira (look at those nails)

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Miller and Big Boss himself are also implied to not be straight, even if you take this as non-canon.
maxresdefault.jpg

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I feel like Prompto and Noctis have way more mutual chemistry than anyone in FFXV

Gladio and Ignis are pretty cute though

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Piers, based off of datalog/diary entries, it seemed he was infatuated with Chris and even just kinda observing from the cutscenes alone, it did kinda feel maybe there was something stronger there than just friendship (which the entries only add to this). Now as to whether or not Chris would reciprocate the same feelings is completely unknown, but we at least have the Piers angle there. But yeah, this was never completely confirmed.

Capcom has also kinda teased a bit with Chris possibly being gay or bisexual, as well, but really nothing solid there outside of the costumes and stuff. Really frustrating that Chris's relationship is never fully explored or anything.

It always frustrates me about this. It's really been a huge problem in Japanese media, especially in more recent years, to the point that Ikuhara finally got fed up with it and called it out in his latest work, Sarazanmai.

Some of it I do wonder if it's from the executive's being like "Okay, they can be gay, but just add in a little spring of doubt that they aren't in a relationship" somewhat (probably the most homophobic aspect of it), but sometimes I do wonder if it's because some of these IPs (games, shows, etc.) are being made for International conscious markets and unfortunately some of which ban homosexuality in media (China and some Middle Eastern areas being a major market for this issue).

Ultimately, as a result, they skirt around the issue just enough, so it's always with some level of doubt. Frustrating. Plus, it gives people excuse "They never said, so are they REALLY gay and you're just not putting your views into it?", and it's just... Ugh. I've dealt with that on several occasions, too.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of like five people in the Ace Attorney fandom who doesn't actively ship Phoenix/Edgeworth but I'm not gonna pretend like it isn't there. Like.

C'mon.

(I think there was some interview with Takumi where he said something like "I wrote Phoenix and Edgeworth as a deep male friendship but... people seem to have taken it a different way" lmao)

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Claire knows something's up with Chris when his vacation letter to STARS is all about cute babes.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Sora and Riku should've been canon. Those fools should've allowed it. Kairi sucks.