SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
HD-wallpaper-thoma-avenir-mahou-shoujo-lyrical-nanoha-a-s-portable-the-gears-of-destiny-lattice-magical-girl-lyrical-nanoha-thoma-avenir-gears-of-destiny-black-knight-mahou-shoujo-lyrical-nanoha-a-s-portable.jpg

Thoma Avenir from the Magical Nanoha series, hey, let's pick up a franchise about magical girls fighting to save the world or multiverse and replace them with a literal random guy for Nanoha Force, this guy never appeared or was mentioned before but he is best friends with and beloved like a brother by popular franchise characters who really should have mentioned him before if he was that important to their lives, have him be a bit generic, also, let's give him the best weapons and have every bad guy obsessed with him and want him to join their side because everyone so loves Thoma, even the bad guys want him!

While we're at it, let's make it so that the villains are anti-magic to a point where MAGIC IN A MAGICAL GIRL FRANCHISE is completely useless, what, people watching a franchise that always used magic to fight before want to see magic being used!?

The hell kind of thing are you saying, sure, the third season introduced anti-magic but it didn't freaking make magic completely useless, it's just so that the old cast suddenly becomes useless and has to spend time training with new stuff but don't worry, Thoma who everyone likes gets into anti-magic combat really quick!

He has some fans, but mostly people who like cool powerful heroes that can do stuff while others can't, overall, he was so hated and really the series in general that Nanoha Force entered hiatus in 2013 and still has to come back, it actually seems to have killed the franchise, there were attempts at making some new movies and manga but nothing that got big like the first few series, and all of those completely ignored Thoma and any Force character or element.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
HD-wallpaper-thoma-avenir-mahou-shoujo-lyrical-nanoha-a-s-portable-the-gears-of-destiny-lattice-magical-girl-lyrical-nanoha-thoma-avenir-gears-of-destiny-black-knight-mahou-shoujo-lyrical-nanoha-a-s-portable.jpg

Thoma Avenir from the Magical Nanoha series, hey, let's pick up a franchise about magical girls fighting to save the world or multiverse and replace them with a literal random guy for Nanoha Force, this guy never appeared or was mentioned before but he is best friends with and beloved like a brother by popular franchise characters who really should have mentioned him before if he was that important to their lives, have him be a bit generic, also, let's give him the best weapons and have every bad guy obsessed with him and want him to join their side because everyone so loves Thoma, even the bad guys want him!

While we're at it, let's make it so that the villains are anti-magic to a point where MAGIC IN A MAGICAL GIRL FRANCHISE is completely useless, what, people watching a franchise that always used magic to fight before want to see magic being used!?

The hell kind of thing are you saying, sure, the third season introduced anti-magic but it didn't freaking make magic completely useless, it's just so that the old cast suddenly becomes useless and has to spend time training with new stuff but don't worry, Thoma who everyone likes gets into anti-magic combat really quick!

He has some fans, but mostly people who like cool powerful heroes that can do stuff while others can't, overall, he was so hated and really the series in general that Nanoha Force entered hiatus in 2013 and still has to come back, it actually seems to have killed the franchise, there were attempts at making some new movies and manga but nothing that got big like the first few series, and all of those completely ignored Thoma and any Force character or element.

I used to see Nanoha EVERYWHERE. I was wondering where the eff it went. Going off your subscription, I'd totally blame this guy lol. If he was that bland & gary-stu-ish, I'd assume he was meant to be a self-insert. Glad that didn't take off.

I still need to find a means to watch this series.

Feb 24, 2018
Funny thing about Rodimus is that he seemed to have worked... It just took a decade or so to do it.

Seriously, Hot Rod/Rodimus nearly always appears at the tops of popularity polls, both fan and official ones sometimes just behind the Big Three Autobots (Optimus, Bumblebee and Grimlock) along with Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, Arcee, Ultra Magnus and Wheeljack, is a regular request for new toys of him and has appeared regularly in new Transformers fiction in both the movies, comics and cartoons.

Part of is younger fans coming in any enjoying the character without the baggage of the 86 movie (I know Transformers Energon really seemed to boost his popularity with the kids at the time), his portrayal in stuff like the IDW comics helping him a lot etc. The stigma has never fully went away though as older fans still blame him for like the first... Second or so time Optimus died.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
I used to see Nanoha EVERYWHERE. I was wondering where the eff it went. Going off your subscription, I'd totally blame this guy lol. If he was that bland & gary-stu-ish, I'd assume he was meant to be a self-insert. Glad that didn't take off.

I still need to find a means to watch this series.
I do like Nanoha, but Force is...well it has it's small section of fans but it's absolutely the worst entry in every way, even the art itself having trouble depicting big fights well, it actively killed the original continuity, as in, those movies and manga i mentioned were either short attempts at a reboot or alternate universes.

Thoma was also not the only issue, also, i don't even think having a guy as a main character could be an issue even if everyone else had been a girl, it's just Thoma sucked and there already was a guy that helped during fights and was actually quite popular with fans, more popular than most of the girls, Yuuno, who had been there from the start, sure, he had less magical power than Nanoha, but hey, they insisted on Anti-Magic in a magic franchise for some weird reason, so why not?

But why use the guy that has been there from the start, knows magic, can fight, already has established connections to the cast and is popular with fans when you can invent someone else?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Did people really say Miles and Gwen last year?

You could argue that Marvel pushed characters on us like the Inhumans but Gwen became big despite Marvel not pushing her and the fans demanding more. Miles started off being pushed but more than earned his keep and now has a well regarded game and beloved film and is basically a major, accepted and well loved part of Spider-Man canon now.
Despite Marvel not pushing Gwen?
She got her own book, she was in a succesful movie, she got her own "Gwen-Verse".....you think Marvel didnt push her on us?

And Miles is still a jobber.
Yes hes popular from the movie and the game, but in comics if the writers forgot he was a character no one in comicdom would notice.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Despite Marvel not pushing Gwen?
She got her own book, she was in a succesful movie, she got her own "Gwen-Verse".....you think Marvel didnt push her on us?

And Miles is still a jobber.
Yes hes popular from the movie and the game, but in comics if the writers forgot he was a character no one in comicdom would notice.

Gwen and Miles are going to carry the next two Spider-Verse movies, sequels to one of the most beloved animated movie of all time.
They're also a trio with Pete in a hugely popular Disney show for kids.
I'd say they're doing well.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

Ugh fuck Rodimus Prime! Son of a bitch ruined my childhood!
City High

Billed as the next Fugees:

www.youtube.com

City High - What Would You Do? (Clean Version)

Music video by City High performing What Would You Do?. (C) 2001 Interscope Geffen (A&M) Records A Division of UMG Recordings Inc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyg5IoEv8oA

Yeah City High was a huge disappointment to me. They didn't have the same vibe or mystique or just flyness as Fugees. Hell I still rock Fugees in my Playlist.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
The sad thing about legacy comic characters is that while they might be popular in their own right, and be kept around as a supporting cast, they never will never stay as the "main" version of said hero, because eventually, the publisher will ask themselves if bringing the OG character back will drive interest

The only case where it stuck was with Captain Marvel, for two reasons

1 no one wants to mess with the "Death of Captain Marvel" storyline, as it remains a touching personal tale
2 no one really cared about Mar-Vell

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
I mean god for 80s cartoons you could basically put a stack of them in a room, close your eyes and point, and have a right answer nearly 100% of the time. So many were meant to be giant franchises that just came and went.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Even into the PS2 era, thanks to the odd breakout hit, you had people trying. One that really fell off after looking like it might have a decent shot was, of course...
DKKviunXoAIa-Nl

A million sales on the first game was an alright start, but not exactly assailing the heights any of these characters had

Second game comes and goes, TV show promised but never arrives, and 3's never even released in Europe. Now the games need kickstarters for HD rereleases, while the fellas on the left had big budget remakes that have sold in the tens of millions, and on the right has a movie that made over 300 million dollars at the box office
There were others too like those Tak the power of juju games. Had sequels and even got it's tv show but really no one actually cared.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
How dare you. He didnt fall off, instead they chose to keep making it the Goku show. Gohan was robbed

Dragon Ball has always been the Goku show though. When has a series changing protagonists ever work out? And it's not like Gohan's arc didn't make sense, he never really cared about fighting, it would have been weird to keep pushing him. Toriyama was right that he didn't have a leading man personality and he was absolutely right in sidelining him.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Dragon Ball has always been the Goku show though. When has a series changing protagonists ever work out? And it's not like Gohan's arc didn't make sense, he never really cared about fighting, it would have been weird to keep pushing him. Toriyama was right that he didn't have a leading man personality and he was absolutely right in sidelining him.
Gohan didn't go out of his way to fight, he stepped up when there was a reason to. Like most anime.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
JoJo. That said, I don't disagree with Toriyama ultimately deciding against pushing Gohan as the lead.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Yeah kids from the prequel era love those movies too.

Fucking kids though. Don't know these children movies are ours and ours alone? We were here before them and I am pretty sure we could take them in a fight.

I think some people unironically are like this. New characters should be run by the original fans first, and you can't change the originals. The Doctor can't be a woman. Velma can't be a South Asian lesbian.

Bengraven