Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The thing is, they could always just use archive recordings of Charles' voice for a lot of Mario's standard cries and noises - "WAH!" and "WAHOO!" don't exactly need to be re-recorded every single time a new game comes out. They have probably HOURS worth of soundbank recordings of Charles doing Mario vocalizations, so if they're giving all that up, there has to be a reason for it.

Unless they wanted Mario to have more lines in future games.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I fuckin' knew that wasn't Martinet voicing Mario in Wonder. Man, what an end of an era this is.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
7pacfr7lhtv91.png

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, he's been doing it for longer than most fans have been alive. Better to move on and pass the torch to someone else rather than hold onto the position as the voice becomes harder to do and the quality of the recordings suffer.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I really didn't think there would be anything to this. I just hope it was Martinet's choice.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Why replace him though? Martinet is iconic.

Hope this was mutually agreed upon. Gonna miss the OG for sure

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, they could always just use archive recordings of Charles' voice for a lot of Mario's standard cries and noises - "WAH!" and "WAHOO!" don't exactly need to be re-recorded every single time a new game comes out. They have probably HOURS worth of soundbank recordings of Charles doing Mario vocalizations, so if they're giving all that up, there has to be a reason for it.
Nintendo always records new contextual dialogue for their mainline Mario entries. Not only that, but Martinet also voices characters like Wario, who as of WarioWare Gold has moved onto becoming a fully voiced character. Archival recordings is only going to get them so far.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they wanted Mario to have more lines in future games.

Yeah, I guess, but Mario hasn't...ever had extended dialogue in basically any Mario games. I just can't see Nintendo pushing in that direction, especially if it means having to recast the most iconic voice in the history of gaming. Giving Mario expository dialogue would feel really weird.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
What if they want Mario to just straight up talk now? 🤔

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

'It’s-a Me, Mario!'

You know Mario—who could forget the cheery “woo-hoos!” of Nintendo’s most beloved video game character? Now meet Charles Martinet, the voice behind the iconi...

Iconic!

Also didn't know he wasn't the original voice

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
An absolute legend. It's going to be weird getting used to a new Mario voice.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I was at a convention a few months ago and despite the fact that he was the only guest charging money for autographs ($50), any time he was out his line was gigantic with the queue being overstuffed at all times. Dude can make all the money he will ever need just doing conventions at his convivence, and he's pushing 70. Hope the dude gets to enjoy the rest of his life at his own pace!

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Huh, so all those people saying it wasn't him in the newest games are maybe right? Didn't see that one coming.
Wonder what the actual reason for this is. Hopefully Martinet is doing well and just wanted to move on by choice.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Charles did a great job, glad they're giving him a good sendoff as Mario rather than just discarding old voice actors and pretending they're not there (Like Kojima giving David Hayter the cold shoulder or the original voice actor for Kratos not even being contacted by Sony Santa Monica for the newer God Of War games).

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Maybe he decided to retire from voice acting, he's 67 years old after all.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be an AI voice. Charles sold the rights to his voice to Nintendo to use until the end of time!