BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It took awhile for Marvel Studios' to figure out what the upcoming Disney+ series Daredevil: Born Again should be. In fact, it took half a season of filming to figure out they were doing it wrong. Then Marvel Studios halted production, let the original writers go, and decided to go back-to-basics in body and in soul - including adding back a few bodies from the originsl Netflix series Daredevil.

"It was pretty heartbreaking when [Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson] weren't around initially," says Daredevil Actor Charlie Cox of his co-stars, who play Karen Page and Foggy Nelson respectively, during a recent appearance at Awesome Con 2024. "When we came back to filming, and they had made some changes, which you guys have probably read about and stuff, it was clear that Foggy and Karen are kind of the heartbeat of our show, and always were."

Marvel Studios' resumed filming of Daredevil: Born Again in January, and one of the major changes included hiring Woll and Henson back to reprise their roles - and for Cox, is was a welcome change.

"It was really special to have them back. Huge shoutout to Deborah and Elden," says Cox. "I know there's been some set photos that came out, so I know I can talk about it, because it's on the internet. But it was really sweet to have some scenes together again."

Daredevil: Born Again is currently filming in New York, and we're hopeful for a late 2024 or early 2025 debut.

They were really gonna kill Foggy and Karen off screen, holy hell.

www.thepopverse.com

Marvel Studios' original plans for Daredevil: Born Again were "heartbreaking" says Charlie Cox, but its all better now

Charlie Cox thought Daredevil: Born Again was missing two important ingredients – until Marvel Studios fixed it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how the new show will turn out, but god what a bullet we dodged with the original pitch

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
They should just include Maria Hill and Talos in future MCU stuff like nothing happened lol

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Jesus, their plans were actively worse than just pretending they didn't exist like Netflix daredevil was a variant or something. And that plan would have been awful itself so that's saying something

Honestly what's the point of even bringing in daredevil to the MCU if you're not going to bother honoring the original show properly.like just make a new daredevil

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, their plans were actively worse than just pretending they didn't exist like Netflix daredevil was a variant or something. And that plan would have been awful itself so that's saying something

I don't understand the logic of it, like they weren't some rando original characters, they were Daredevil's best friends, without them who was his inner circle/main friend group supposed to be if they weren't even going to recast them

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the logic of it, like they weren't some rando original characters, they were Daredevil's best friends, without them who was his inner circle/main friend group supposed to be if they weren't even going to recast them
What did the original showrunners did before they switched?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping it means they don't fridge Karen. I like Foggy too, but if someone has to go...

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
tbh I can kind of see where they were going for with that as this is/was (to my understanding) a soft reboot of sorts. but how that'd end up, i dunno

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Granted I know jack about the production but was anyone from the original show involved in this? It feels like they had no idea what to do with him after tossing him in to a bunch of random stuff prior.

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
And the base was supposed to be Suits but Daredevil

...not a terrible concept, honestly. You can get a lot out of a more network TV type format for Daredevil. Done-in-one episodes with a serialized story snuck in. We need more of that, especially looking at how Jessica Jones was handled. That was based on comics that were structured like an episodic procedural, but they turned it into this long slog of a fake prestige TV show.

But every other detail about that version sounds awful. Especially the idea of doing a legal procedural WITHOUT Foggy and Karen. I know Karen has the mark of death on her, but c'mon. If they DO get to that point it absolutely cannot be some off screen whatever moment.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's one thing for the original plan to suck and another for them to realize it and correct it. I'm more interested in how they figured out they needed to scrap it and start over since there are other Marvel shows or movies that are not great.