EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd not heard anything about this, so I thought it was thread worthy.
I was playing Sea of Thieves Final Beta and something started to happen, the game started transcribing the other players chat and displaying it on screen.

73b1da23-4a3c-4204-a46a-060ecd0ac0d3.PNG

What a fantastic idea if you want to play without sound, without voice chat or maybe you are deaf.
Whilst many big developers include subtiles for in game text, deaf gamers will be losing out on many communicative experiences on concosle.
I was surprised to read that a few games already support i (Forza 7 and Halo Wars 2)

Apparently this is something that the FCC have been trying to make mandatory for all VOIP services since 2011 to help accessibility, but the ESA has managed to get it push back and pushed back, the current waiver is set to expire at the end of this year, if this is not extended, then any software not compliant could result in a fine.
Hopefully this will speed up the inclusion of these features in all formats.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
That's awesome for those that need it! How's the tech though? When I have YouTube subtitles on it puts up some ridiculous stuff quite a bit.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's awesome for those that need it! How's the tech though? When I have YouTube subtitles on it puts up some ridiculous stuff quite a bit.
It was good for the most part, I was suprised it caught all the uh-huhs and yeahs. Of course, just like Siri and Youtube and whatnot it doesn't do it 100% perfectly.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing, that's incredibly cool, can't wait to dive into Sea of Thieves later this month.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Closed captions are a very neat feature. I wonder if any game has ever attempted this before besides these select few Microsoft games.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
It was good for the most part, I was suprised it caught all the uh-huhs and yeahs. Of course, just like Siri and Youtube and whatnot it doesn't do it 100% perfectly.
As long as it gets the point and doesn't go haywire then this is going to be awesome for a lot of people.

I really appreciate devs going that extra step. Naughty Dog have specific people that their jobs are to add stuff like this. The more this because the standard the better.

Speaking personally there's a few games I like to play while listening to podcasts, but those games require a bit of communication... at least to listen to teammates. So if this stuff works decently I'd use it a lot.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. What???

This seems cool enough to be a feature to actively advertise. Seriously cool and hope this is the future of chat in games.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
This is a great idea.
I imagine you can also use speech-to-text transcripts to help with the report system.

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome!!! This should get even cooler in the next couple of years with all the work Microsoft Research did with Skype Translator. It will be fun to play with anyone in the world and have their dictation translated to your language.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
That is a very welcome addition to those who need it, and I'm sure a lot of devs leave it out without even noticing so it's great that Rare has done it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if this could be used for translation? If you were playing with players that aren't speaking your language. Wonder if it could (potentially) transcribe and translate?

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
I want a chat feature that anticipates my most embarassing unconscious thoughts and broadcasts them in bold letters that fill up the entire UI.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Impressive feature. I imagine it could also be very useful for interacting with players who speak other languages.
Are there precedents of something like this on other systems?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes so much sense, cant believe ive not thought about this before! Really cool, i see it becoming the standard in the near future, and finally a great (if not vital) use of Cortana tech for gaming.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Great feature! Glad to see more games use it.

Curious, is this used for moderation/enforcement over voice chat on Xbox Live? Would be great if this can be used to quickly review voice communication reports.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a part of their inclusive initiative. Pretty awesome