AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood makes a lot of these, but I think a lot of them don't get much marketing or are relegated to direct-to-DVD business. But sometimes, these movies have a lot of push behind them, and you see their trailers attached to big movies. And goddamn do these fuckin' trailers make my eyes roll.

I'm talking about stuff like that Wonder movie. I haven't seen it, and it very well might be a good movie, but jesus christ that trailer makes it look like utter fuckshit.

Remember Radio? Same deal.

The movies' premises, the music used in the trailers, the cheap one-liners by the characters, the shit text put in the trailers. All... ugh.

I'm also pretty sure that a significant portion of these movies are about a person who's 'different' from the rest of the population, and the story's about everyone learning to overcome prejudice and discrimination. It's all well on paper... but man, these trailers sure as hell don't make me want to watch them.

"We're not the ones who've been teaching Radio; Radio's been teach--" KIIIIIIILLLLLL MEEEEEEEE

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Strictly movies? Because first thing that popped into my mind is literally anything by David Cage.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
these all make me laugh and they all make my wife cry

i think they're pretty successful at piquing interest amongst the target demos

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't most trailers designed to be emotionally-manipulative? They're 1-2 minute long advertising pitches created specifically to psychologically hook us into paying to watch it.

Unless by cheap you mean exploiting cliched tropes? Because that I can get behind.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
This is Us is an egregious case of it.

Crash (not the cronenberg one, the best one) I fucking hate that movie so much.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is Us is an egregious case of it.

Crash (not the cronenberg one, the best one) I fucking hate that movie so much.

But Cronenberg's IS the best one.

OT - Trailers for shit like American Sniper and such, full of slowmotion american flags and a sweeping score are the bane of my movie going experience. It's like an overdose of jingoistic cheese. The worst cheese.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is Us is a fantastic show. One of the best on TV.

I also liked Pay it Forward

Collateral Beauty could be hit for this for sure, but those are better.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
War of the Planet of the Apes was a lot of this, especially the
death scene with that one grunt ape that travels with Caesar when they escape from their ransacked home.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Crash_ver2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxBw8RB1H54
do I win?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More on point, i know exactly what you mean OP. It's generally weak oscar bait and Meg Ryan comedies/dramas that i associate the most with it. Stuff like this:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I liked It Comes At Night but the trailers didn't represent the movie for what it was.

Agreed. They really didn't. A friend watched it thinking he'd like it because of the trailers, but ended up hating it and blamed them.

I saw it in theatre, with a close friend I grew up watching horror/movies with, and we both liked it.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
They have their target audience though. But yeah get tired of the same trailer with different actors and different story. And it gives you the info needed to know not to see it.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what the trailers were like for Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close but goddamn did that movie desperately try to make you feel things. Maybe a good movie to watch for anyone going through Adderall withdrawal though.