• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woah -- this one really kind of came out nowhere. That's terrible.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
It's been awhile since I've heard this story, but from what I remember this was "consensual", not to say it's not statutory rape, but by the time this was revealed the statue of limitations were well over.

So those people who says the title is accurate, no, technically, it's not.

Again though, it's been awhile since I've heard about this story again, so apologies on the murkier details if this isn't accurate.
Do you not see the part where I mentioned it is statutory rape?

Yes, and I said as such if you read my comment where it says, statutory rape.

What?

13 year old cannot consent.
You're downplaying this and that's bullshit. It is accurate. Statutory rape is a form of rape.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Holy shit. I've heard the babysitting story before, but Anthony usually just ends it at him peeping on Cher.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
His dad also mentioned in an interview a while back that he set up the girl his was dating at the time to have sex with Anthony when he was "12 or 13".

https://youtu.be/bK6wzwjyfrs at the 3:30 mark

I remember how super odd and disconcerting that was to hear about the time. This even more so.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've heard this story before but yeah it's pretty gross to have sex with a 13 year old.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
People are really taking offense to people wanting the title of this thread to change to something like "allegedly?"

Unless I am totally oblivious and this has already been confirmed to in fact be true.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can almost guarantee we don't hear about this much because back then the response was "Nice" instead of something more appropriate.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is a bit different though that can still be awful. She was his babysitter and knew for fact he was 13.
Definitely. However, these stories are notorious as well. I've known a few men who were abused by babysitters sexually.

The fact that men/boys are supposed to enjoy sex in all circumstances, even illicit sex, also makes it harder for people to come forward in these cases.

I can almost guarantee we don't hear about this much because back then the response was "Nice" instead of something more appropriate.

Yeah, it was way worse back then. It's gotten better, but we still have ways to go.

Also Anthony's father specifically wanted to his son to lose his virginity at 12. That type of stuff will get you in serious trouble with CPS today.

People really forget how messed up sexual politics were back then. Still are of course.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
People are really taking offense to people wanting the title of this thread to change to something like "allegedly?"
No, people want the title changed because of semantics, and I was one of them.

Rape is rape, and playing semantics won't do a damn thing to help the problem, so I will concede my mistake with and the way I framed the response.

Did not mean to try to twist anything out of perspective like this.

Sorry all.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I've read the book but hadn't thought much about it because Anthony seemed to want it then and doesn't seem phased by it now, plus in the context of all the crazy shit in that book I kinda had this "yeah this may as well happen" mindset to it. I was also a lot younger when I read the book.

Not denying it's statutory rape though.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Poster wasn't indicating that children could consent to sex

Last edited:

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Its fucking gross, she was almost 30 having sex with a 13 year old. Rape, outside of statuatory might be a bit of stretch though since he lost his virginity at age 12 to an 18 year old, stated in the same article, -which is ALSO fucked up- but he doesn't mention hard feelings or any sort of resentment toward either incident, its just matter of fact, which is difficult to judge. It certainly comes off as rape though. Adults should have better judgment. And to be frank some goddamn respect for themselves and those whose lives they can affect. These were probably big contributors to the kind of hard life he lived.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's been awhile since I've heard this story, but from what I remember this was "consensual", not to say it's not statutory rape, but by the time this was revealed the statue of limitations were well over.
This is really nitpicky. Sure, the title isn't 100% accurate, but is that a point you really felt had to be made? She was over twice the age of someone who was underage.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Well, hopefully this blows up thanks to you. Shit like this is never okay, even if the victim thinks it was 'awesome'.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how I got into a discussion about this very topic on Friday night with some friends. One of whom was adamant that it's different when it's an older male than when it's an older female. I pressed him on it and he could not give me a good enough reason why.

This stuff still persists.

AznMan37

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah I'm pretty sure this was in his autobiography. I also believe he had sex with his father's girlfriend while he was underage as well.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
People tended not to care when it came to underage boys. 15-16 year old being raped by a teacher was common sitcom fodder around that time. Frasier and Everybody loves Raymond both had that as a plot (2 off the top of my head having seen them recently), where the emphasis was not at all on the predatory nature of the teacher.

So a 13 year old rockstar being raped decades ago going overlooked is not at all shocking to me.

Shame, hope this gains traction, as it's something that really needs addressing.

At the time?

Archie fucks his teacher in Riverdale, which started in 2017. Aren't they supposed to be 16 or so in the show?

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Huh, no shit? That is quite something. Can't give consent at 13. Cher a child molester - I did not see that being knowledge I had today.

Status
Not open for further replies.