• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I don't really make threads about new music, but Chevelle is a great band and its been nearly 5 years since we have heard new music from them. Music vid is coming Friday too for the song. Its the first one off their new album called Niratias (whatever that means) out on March 5th.

UPDATE: Video is out, posted below

Any other Chevelle fans (Chevellions I think? lol) on Era?

Last edited:

moncho13

Jul 18, 2018
Loved chevelle since high school over a decade ago. Sucks that they lost their bassist (again). Hope it's cool. Felt a little weird when Pete tweeted a promo of it today in the evening, like, read the fucking room dude.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Loved chevelle since high school over a decade ago. Sucks that they lost their bassist (again). Hope it's cool. Felt a little weird when Pete tweeted a promo of it today in the evening, like, read the fucking room dude.

They don't seem to be in a rush for a new bassist, its been over a year since he announced he was leaving and they are now promoting Niratias as two member band.

I guess it is like Sam said, that Pete writes everything and they are going to remain in this form from here on with maybe hiring bassists for tours only.
They're fun. I enjoy hearing them on the radio, so I imagine i'll get my fill of the new song.

I confuse them with Breaking Benjamin though :P

Not Tool? Thats a first lol

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a minute since I listened to chevelle. Any album's I should listen to from the last.... 10 years or so?

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
It's been a minute since I listened to chevelle. Any album's I should listen to from the last.... 10 years or so?

Of the last ten years, Hats Off to the Bull is my fav from them because of the variety and the depth of the meaning in the songs. It has a great balance of being heavy enough and very melodic at the same time.

La Gargola gets way heavier and pretty dark, and Pete's guitar playing really shines but the album isn't as melodic as anything they have done prior.

The North Corridor gets even heavier and darker, but considerably less melodic as a whole and IMO it was a big letdown. It has Door to Door Cannibals, probably my fav Chevelle song ever, but most the other songs feel like they needed a LOT more time and were rushed out. Hell the vocal recordings in a lot of the songs are embarrassingly poor for a full album release. I'm hoping the new album makes up for the last one in all honesty because you could tell The North Corridor was a struggle for them.

Wow I didn't know they're still active.

Niratias is their 9th studio album, 10th if you count the B-Sides and rarities album they released a couple of years back. They are one of the few early 2000s bands that have survived and have consistently released great songs with each album.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
La Gargola is probably my favorite one from their recent ones. It's pretty great.
Of the last ten years, Hats Off to the Bull is my fav from them because of the variety and the depth of the meaning in the songs. It has a great balance of being heavy enough and very melodic at the same time.

La Gargola gets way heavier and pretty dark, and Pete's guitar playing really shines but the album isn't as melodic as anything they have done prior.

The North Corridor gets even heavier and darker, but considerably less melodic as a whole and IMO it was a big letdown. It has Door to Door Cannibals, probably my fav Chevelle song ever, but most the other songs feel like they needed a LOT more time and were rushed out. Hell the vocal recordings in a lot of the songs are embarrassingly poor for a full album release. I'm hoping the new album makes up for the last one in all honesty because you could tell The North Corridor was a struggle for them.

Niratias is their 9th studio album, 10th if you count the B-Sides and rarities album they released a couple of years back. They are one of the few early 2000s bands that have survived and have consistently released great songs with each album.

Thanks guys, listened to la gargola this morning. Fun stuff, I'll have to listen to hats off to the bull because I'm interested in hearing their sound going in different directions.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I listened to some of their earlier albums a couple months ago and really enjoyed hearing it again. I saw them in concert ca. 2007ish. They sounded great, but I've never seen a band look more bored during a show.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I listened to some of their earlier albums a couple months ago and really enjoyed hearing it again. I saw them in concert ca. 2007ish. They sounded great, but I've never seen a band look more bored during a show.

Pete is not a great frontman by any means in terms of his stage presence, I saw that when I first saw them live and saw some concert footage. But it turns out that no one really cares about that lol. They still have a lot of fans and are like always touring (pre-covid of course), one of the few bands to stand the tests of time.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Pete is not a great frontman by any means in terms of his stage presence, I saw that when I first saw them live and saw some concert footage. But it turns out that no one really cares about that lol. They still have a lot of fans and are like always touring (pre-covid of course), one of the few bands to stand the tests of time.
Yeah, if you want to see a band run around and jump on stage, Chevelle is not it. But if you just want to go and listen to the music, they've been consistently one of the best that I've seen. The show I saw on the North Corridor tour, Pete was sick, but still gave it everything for two hours non-stop.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Glad they're still at it. But your avatar make me long for a new silverchair more 😞

Dude... if only Daniel Johns stayed a rocker. He is just worlds apart from what he was during the "real" Silverchair days (which was before they came back into 2007, briefly). Now he was a great frontman at his peak. Im just happy those albums exist

Yeah, if you want to see a band run around and jump on stage, Chevelle is not it. But if you just want to go and listen to the music, they've been consistently one of the best that I've seen. The show I saw on the North Corridor tour, Pete was sick, but still gave it everything for two hours non-stop.

They do sound great live and put a lot into the songs they perform on stage, but you can't help but notice the lack of energy when they tend to make such aggressive and driving music. And its like they are up there with other great bands but just don't focus on the "theatrics" element when they do their shows.

I can't complain though since they have yet to lose it when it comes to making great songs.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Apparently the song is on Spotify if its already Jan 8 in your region...Damn Eastern time, 5 and half hours for me to go :/

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I saw them three times, and the two most recent ones were their best. They were having a lot of fun on stage. This was 2017 and 2019. The first time I saw them was around 2012, and they were so-so then.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
The most 3.5/5 band in existence. I wouldn't say they're lighting the world on fire but they are one of the most consistent, enjoyable bands I've listened to. I can miss a few album releases, hop back in, and go "yup this is a Chevelle release". Not at all a slam on them, they're just perhaps the most set on their course band I know.

Oct 27, 2017
yesssss!

2021 finally has some good news :P

I used to listen to pretty much every Chevelle album back to back in highschool. Had a few on CD, but this was mp3 player era lol. I was kind of late to party, because they were past their "peak" in the rock/alternative metal scene when I discovered their music videos on Youtube. But I guess being late gives you the opportunity to completely binge and soak up a band's discography haha.

A few weeks ago I actually got a Chevelle-chorus-ear-worm and started streaming their music on Spotify, and I just had a blast listening to their albums again. Songs like "Letter From a Thief", "Saferwaters" and "Comfortable Liar" will always be classics to me. I think my favorite album has to be either "Wonder What Comes Next" or "This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In"), but obviously "Vena Sera" and "Sci-Fi Crimes" are loaded with great tracks, too.

"Hat's Off To The Bull" was a kicakss project, but I could tell they were moving in a different direction. I kind of stopped listening to them after "La Gargola" and found some other bands to obsess over, but I knew Pete still had it in him to make another great masterpiece. I'm excited to hear what is coming next for sure!

Last edited:

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I came across them in my last school year, so their sound is quite nostalgic for me. But since they are not really a thing here keeping up is quite hard. And I mostly familiar with their first three albums.
It seems like it is also out on Amazon where it's already Friday.
Well, after a first casual listen I can say it sounds like Chevelle, but a bit different in tone from what I remember. If I just randomly came across this song I'd recognize it as a Chevelle song. I like it.
It's no Point #1 or An Evening With El Diablo but it's enjoyable.
Now I spent over an hour listening to old Chevelle songs even though I wanted to go to sleep. Thanks OP.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The most 3.5/5 band in existence. I wouldn't say they're lighting the world on fire but they are one of the most consistent, enjoyable bands I've listened to. I can miss a few album releases, hop back in, and go "yup this is a Chevelle release". Not at all a slam on them, they're just perhaps the most set on their course band I know.

Considering the state of the rock industry and commercial bands, the status that they have remained in all these years puts them way closer to like 8.5-9/10 band. They stay safe, but without feeling like "I have heard this song before" and you feel like you are getting another nice serving of what they offer each time.

yesssss!

2021 finally has some good news :P

I used to listen to pretty much every Chevelle album back to back in highschool. Had a few on CD, but this was mp3 player era lol. I was kind of late to party, because they were past their "peak" in the rock/alternative metal scene when I discovered their music videos on Youtube. But I guess being late gives you the opportunity to completely binge and soak up a band's discography haha.

A few weeks ago I actually got a Chevelle-chorus-ear-worm and started streaming their music on Spotify, and I just had a blast listening to their albums again. Songs like "Letter From a Thief", "Saferwaters" and "Comfortable Liar" will always be classics to me. I think my favorite album has to be either "Wonder What Comes Next" or "This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In"), but obviously "Vena Sera" and "Sci-Fi Crimes" are loaded with great tracks, too.

"Hat's Off To The Bull" was a kicakss project, but I could tell they were moving in a different direction. I kind of stopped listening to them after "La Gargola" and found some other bands to obsess over, but I knew Pete still had it in him to make another great masterpiece. I'm excited to hear what is coming next for sure!

HOTTB was like Pete detaching himself from Chevelle and approaching it more like an artist. I would say it was an evolution of what we saw in TTOT, which was a more distinctive original sound while Vena Sera and Sci-Fi Crimes were definitely trying to be more "radio rock" (at least as far as Chevelle could go lol).

I definitely wasn't really crazy about The North Corridor but it has one of Chevelle's greatest songs (Door to Door Cannibals, as I mentioned earlier) so you should check it out for that alone.

chevelle is from my home town

Cool stuff

I came across them in my last school year, so their sound is quite nostalgic for me. But since they are not really a thing here keeping up is quite hard. And I mostly familiar with their first three albums.
It seems like it is also out on Amazon where it's already Friday.
Well, after a first casual listen I can say it sounds like Chevelle, but a bit different in tone from what I remember. If I just randomly came across this song I'd recognize it as a Chevelle song. I like it.
It's no Point #1 or An Evening With El Diablo but it's enjoyable.
Now I spent over an hour listening to old Chevelle songs even though I wanted to go to sleep. Thanks OP.

Damn I will have to check it out, but I have a feeling I will have to wait till 12am...

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Music video will be out in about 2 hours but we have audio. Really liking this.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have loved Chevelle since 2001 and I've seen them live around five times. I really didn't enjoy their last album because the bigger heavy metal push and their musical range not shining through because of it. So far I love what I'm hearing from this song.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

Music video will be out in about 2 hours but we have audio. Really liking this.

Thanks for posting, yes the song is excellent. This is one of those singles where they really put out all the stops and fight for a big hit, probably the best one since Jars.

It definitely has the creativity and power that their HOTTB era had.

I have loved Chevelle since 2001 and I've seen them live around five times. I really didn't enjoy their last album because the bigger heavy metal push and their musical range not shining through because of it. So far I love what I'm hearing from this song.

As a fan for like 16 years, I can easily tell TNC was a huge struggle for them and most the songs hit walls that they couldn't overcome and just left them in a poor state when making the album.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I loved Chevelle back in middle and high school. First 3 albums are solid and I still own them. I've definitely lost track of them. Might be a band worthy of a revisit.

Niratias info
OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Now that the single is out I'm going to post what we know about the Niratias album so far

1. NIRATIAS apparently stands for (Nothing Is Real And This Is A Simulation)
2. Album is space themed, at least in the sense of song inspiration
3. 13 tracks, someone found out that three of the slots are labeled with the Explicit warning. Not something Chevelle dabbles in often
4. Another song "Endlessly" debuted earlier before the single "Self destructor", but it is only the acoustic version performed by Pete on vid
5. They said a long time ago they wanted to do another album that was more melodic after the previous two albums steered away from that

Can't wait to hear the whole thing on March 5th though!

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I dig the song.

Chevelle was one of those bands my friends and I would listen to as we drove around our hometown aimlessly in the middle of the night because there was nothing to do.

When I'm super stressed now, I go out for aimless drives around the city and Chevelle is one of those bands that I'll put on while doing it.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good jam.
Doesn't get me as pumped as Omen did for the north corridor (even if the rest of the record didn't really deliver), but I'm in

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if you want to make a new thread or want to keep this one updated, but here is their next new song SilverX:

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Back when I was a senior in HS, 2001, we had a little grunge/rock garage band that mostly played Silverchair, Nirvana, And deftones covers.
We played a 3 song set at our senior chapel one week that included Point #1 , Dos, and a song by another Christian rock band... don't recall... oh it was a private Christian school lol.
Made a lot of new friends that day.
Don't care much for them these days but I can respect the hustle.