Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
"US Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts has taken the extraordinary step of rebuking President Donald Trump's criticism of a federal judge.

"We do not have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges," the chief justice told the Associated Press.

"What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46294734
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/politics/supreme-court-john-roberts-trump/index.html

I thought this was pretty interesting; I don't recall something like this happening before.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same Roberts who sat on Kav complaints so it wouldn't interfere with his confirmation?

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I sure hope Roberts continues to become more and more liberal and begins to fill Kennedy's role.
It almost certainly won't happen to that extent - and remember, Kennedy was not equally split between both "wings", he was a fundamentally conservative judge - but there's a good bit of research that suggests such lopsided Courts trend toward an equilibrium over time. As Chief Justice he's also trying desperately to protect the Court as both a reputable, apolitical institution and as a vehicle for his legacy.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Kavanaughs claims about mainstream media and Clinton backed blah blah blah alone should have disqualified him

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Will John Roberts be the next swing judge? I don't expect anyone beside him, especially Kavanaugh who is a Republican loyalist.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Will John Roberts be the next swing judge? I don't expect anyone beside him, especially Kavanaugh who is a Republican loyalist.
He's not even that anymore. He's a Trump loyalist. Then again, I'd say a vast majority of GOP members are now loyal to Trump and the Republican party is effectively dead.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Is it not quite hard to swing a judge vote one way or another because they have to explain themselves within the law so can't just say, I side with this view so it is so?

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
He's trying to gaslight people into believing that, so the Court can continue to execute wildly unpopular conservative policy.
I don't agree with that characterization. I genuinely think he believes himself to be an arbiter of justice rather than policy and from his perspective (irrespective of reality) he wants to protect what he views as a fundamentally distinct branch of government.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
He's the federalist society/ Bush neocon judge. He could give a shit about Trum. His one interaction with him was to play him to get on the bench to do the bidding of corporations.
henhowc was referring to Kavanaugh, the guy who literally said that a sitting president (i.e. Trump) shouldn't be criminally prosecuted.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
He's trying to gaslight people into believing that, so the Court can continue to execute wildly unpopular conservative policy.

This is exactly my reading of the situation.

If Roberts wants people to respect the court, the first step would be to stop voting for fundamentally illegitimate legal arguments.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with that characterization. I genuinely think he believes himself to be an arbiter of justice rather than policy and from his perspective (irrespective of reality) he wants to protect what he views as a fundamentally distinct branch of government.

The most effective way to gaslight people is to start with yourself.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Roberts isn't becoming more liberal; it just looks that way since the Overton window is getting yanked by the short hairs to the extreme right.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty meaningless, but of course Trump is going to bash him on Twitter and in speeches and on TV, because he's so fucking thin-skinned.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump legitimately can have one or two more Supreme Court justices appointed under his tenure. I don't want to hear about how actually the court is totally nonpartisan. I'm tired of all of it.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017

I think Roberts is also gaslighting himself a bit, but it's basically this.

SCOTUS is a wholly political institution and has been since the getgo. It needs to be constitutionally reformed or abolished. It cannot continue to exist once we admit it is what it is.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I think Roberts is also gaslighting himself a bit, but it's basically this.

SCOTUS is a wholly political institution and has been since the getgo. It needs to be constitutionally reformed or abolished. It cannot continue to exist once we admit it is what it is.

I think this is exactly correct but also kind of a basilisk, since we are very unlikely to have the political wherewithal to actually take the necessary steps any time soon.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The comments aren't about political ideology. They're about Trump's concept of political allegiance and loyalty.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Its going to be impossible to shake the image in my head of a Supreme Court Justice going on a conspiracy theory-driven tirade about how one party is evil and disgusting and in due of biblical punishment in the form of justice .... at his own fucking confirmation hearing. Roberts can't clean up that mess and it will only get shittier unless sanity is restored.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
jeez....Roberts has never been, nor will ever be a liberal.

Roberts is simply rebuking the notion of judges being loyal to a person.

Roberts actually cares about his legacy, and how the SCOTUS is viewed.

Oct 27, 2017
It almost certainly won't happen to that extent - and remember, Kennedy was not equally split between both "wings", he was a fundamentally conservative judge - but there's a good bit of research that suggests such lopsided Courts trend toward an equilibrium over time. As Chief Justice he's also trying desperately to protect the Court as both a reputable, apolitical institution and as a vehicle for his legacy.

I wouldn't think Roberts to ever become become a liberal or anything like that, but more along the lines of what you are saying: a moderating or swing vote in contentious decisions...to help maintain they court's equilibrium.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
HE continues with:

.....are so many opposing view (on Border and Safety) cases filed there, and why are a vast number of those cases overturned. Please study the numbers, they are shocking. We need protection and security - these rulings are making our country unsafe! Very dangerous and unwise!

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
He's all over the place. Bunching the ninth circuit in with immigration judges and making shit up about numbers in between the nonsense with zero evidence. This guy is a moron.