Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Tomorrow's demonstration is gonna be huge. Like, really huge. So far most of them have been extremely successful.

Stay safe everyone!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The day started with public transportation and trucks strike, in support of protests and specifically about the expensive fares of driving though roads (also private). Several highways closed,

UN Human Rights mission arrives on monday to support the overseeing work of INDH, will be here for 4 weeks

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I wish I could go to today's protests, but my mental health has been deteriorating and triggering my social anxiety doesn't sound like a way to help with that. Also, my hip still hurts :(

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
2f9fe9b0c08baf71e94897be7a48dd49.jpg

I don't know the context of the photo, the scene just struck something in me. Maybe because the old dude looks a little like an old uncle of me. Stay safe, Chili-Era.

Iggelich

Aug 31, 2019
I read about a German exterior ministry representative said stuff about violence on both sides and admiring Piñera for calling to conversations. I can't find sources in English, would you help? It's like a huge oversight of what's actually happening

I'm sorry that I'm only now replying, I didn't see that you quoted me.

Yesterday, there's been a new segment from Tagesschau (the news show I mentioned), which for the first time now talked about deaths caused by government forces. Sadly, there's still both siding in the article. Here's a link to the google translated version (translation works quite well): Tagesschau

The german exterior minister is Heiko Maas, but I couldn't find any comments he or his ministry made about the situation in Chile.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I wish I could go to today's protests, but my mental health has been deteriorating and triggering my social anxiety doesn't sound like a way to help with that. Also, my hip still hurts :(

Take care of yourself first and foremost.

This will not end soon, maybe the mass hysteria over robbing and stuff will end soon, but the protest? Who knows when it'll end. And they shouldn't until significative change has been achieved.

I'm sorry that I'm only now replying, I didn't see that you quoted me.

Yesterday, there's been a new segment from Tagesschau (the news show I mentioned), which for the first time now talked about deaths caused by government forces. Sadly, there's still both siding in the article. Here's a link to the google translated version (translation works quite well): Tagesschau

The german exterior minister is Heiko Maas, but I couldn't find any comments he or his ministry made about the situation in Chile.

Thanks!

It's not that bad of an article, I guess that's as good as reporting can get without being more involved in investigations.

This however:

" President Piñera announced a series of social measures in the wake of the riots on Tuesday evening, including an increase in the minimum pension and the minimum wage, lower drug prices, higher taxes for top earners and a reduction in the salaries of parliamentarians and ministers. But he could not soothe the protesters. "

Pension: Only the most poorer pensions get an 20% increase, that in reality makes close to 28 USD (which is basically nothing), leaving it still like 4 times under the line of poverty.

Minimum wage: it was already going from 301.000 CLP to 330.000 CLP in January, state will subsidize another 20.000 CLP to those earning less than 350.000 CLP. Another 27.6USD increase that is subsidized.

"higer taxes for top earners": This is a wage tax, and not corporate tax. Piñera's reform to "relief" 883 MILLION dollars to the 1% richer is still ongoing and they have no intention of pulling it back.

Lower drug prices: A subsidize to privates and a deal on some prices to drop.

Reduction of salaries of parlament: A project has been sleeping in congress for 5 years, and it's only now being actually going to move thanks to protests. Reduction on ministers salaries is new at leasr.

You can now know why no one cared about his measures.

2f9fe9b0c08baf71e94897be7a48dd49.jpg

I don't know the context of the photo, the scene just struck something in me. Maybe because the old dude looks a little like an old uncle of me. Stay safe, Chili-Era.

Shit, I'll see what I can find so we can know what was going on. He may have been robbed, or it may be another thing.

A couple of years ago, a homeowner shot dead a guy that sprayed a graffity on his wall during a protest. People defended it saying he was protecting his "private property".

EDIT: seems this is from Barcelona, but the source I find was this https://www.volkskrant.nl/video/aarsman-collectie-nog-een-paar-seconden~p108527

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Today is gonna be huge. I was born for this day. At 17, we march till sunrise my brothers and sisters.

Inconsistencies between death reports from medical school and government

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Government official number of deaths are now 19, they recognized a Peruvian man that was shot during a looting incident several days ago.

Colegio Medico number stated yesterday still hasn't got a written source, nor the video of the meeting has been uploaded, which makes me feel uneasy.

EDIT: Meeting is up, but was unlisted. BUT the video is cut short at 20 minutes long. The meeting is longer, Colegio Medico was left out of the video. Probably a mistake (I hope).

At the very end of the video, President of INDH says that they are asking to speed the autopsies because more bodes are on the morgue.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Government official number of deaths are now 19, they recognized a Peruvian man that was shot during a looting incident several days ago.

Colegio Medico number stated yesterday still hasn't got a written source, nor the video of the meeting has been uploaded, which makes me feel uneasy.
Shall we keep it? Or should we just keep the government one?

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Been reading about this on the news but I didn't realize Era had a thread on it. Some of my friends have been keeping me updated too... I don't even know what to say. I have no way to put into words how much I admire the courage of the Chilean people in face of an increasingly cruel government.

Força, irmãos Latino-americanos!

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I hope stability goes back to Chile as soon as possible and the government (congress and executive) approves some important social reforms.
It's a really beautiful country which I've enjoyed greatly visiting and the most developed from SA, especially when compared with my own, Brazil.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
EHv7QTeX4AA9HuO

Just the main plaza, this is from before 5 PM

EDIT: Streets 5:10 PM:

75083194_2531675873736147_1005627830278553600_n.jpg

I hope stability goes back to Chile as soon as possible and the government (congress and executive) approves some important social reforms.
It's a really beautiful country which I've enjoyed greatly visiting and the most developed from SA, especially when compared with my own, Brazil.

Everytime we read or hear something like this we say "shit, how bad are the rest then?" and yeah, SA in general is far poorer than it should be. Cold war and Monroe Doctrine left us very damaged. We could have developed much better.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Government officials estimates that, just on Plaza Baquedano (PIctured in the photos) there are 250.000 protesters. Just on the Plaza, just on the capital.

Wednesday was the highest point before, with 170.000 protesters

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Everytime we read or hear something like this we say "shit, how bad are the rest then?" and yeah, SA in general is far poorer than it should be. Cold war and Monroe Doctrine left us very damaged. We could have developed much better.

IDK about the others countries, but the economic and social situation in Chile is a lot, a lot better than in Brazil and Argentina, where the majors cities are full of favelas, really high criminality and major social problems. (Argentina being worse since they haven't been able to stop inflation since forever) Maybe only Uruguai is comparable, but I haven't been there (I want to go someday, though!)

Of course, that's no reason to stop protesting and demanding for a fairer economic system, which we all should demand from our governments

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
IDK about the others countries, but the economic and social situation in Chile is a lot, a lot better than in Brazil and Argentina, where the majors cities are full of favelas, really high criminality and major social problems. (Argentina being worse since they haven't been able to stop inflation since forever) Maybe only Uruguai is comparable, but I haven't been there (I want to go someday, though!)

Of course, that's no reason to stop protesting and demanding for a fairer economic system, which we all should demand from our governments

Yeah I understand your point. Latin America is a fucked place, crime has been left alone as a way of mass control basically. Our dictatorship had nexus with narcs and helped quite a bit.

Some fun here.

This is the War Piñera and his wife imagined.

(There was a chilean Doom clone called "Pinochestein", about a political prisoner escaping a torture center. Youtube comment on this: "Pinochestein 2: Piñera on Earth")

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I understand your point. Latin America is a fucked place, crime has been left alone as a way of mass control basically. Our dictatorship had nexus with narcs and helped quite a bit.

Some fun here.

This is the War Piñera and his wife imagined.

(There was a chilean Doom clone called "Pinochestein", about a political prisoner escaping a torture center. Youtube comment on this: "Pinochestein 2: Piñera on Earth")

Oh, I know about the Pinochestein lmao
I've never played the mod though. (I love some Doom mods and I've made some myself >.<)

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Update: Official GOVERNMENT (Normally underestimated) now says there are HALF A MILLION PEOPLE (and counting) just on the Santiago's Plaza Baquedano.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yup, huge chunk of people still arriving. I wonder what the total number in the country is

This is some 20 to 25 minutes walking from the plaza, lots and lots of people walking towards it. Cops won't be able to disperse the protest, curfew starts at 23 hours. Constitutional Lawyers said that arresting durgin the curfew in an emergency state is illegal so.. I wonder what will happen.

Far-right is calling to counter-protest this sunday. The last time they protest, this was the ammount of people:

73316453_2711336948926518_6843480754916163584_n.jpg

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, huge chunk of people still arriving. I wonder what the total number in the country is

This is some 20 to 25 minutes walking from the plaza, lots and lots of people walking towards it. Cops won't be able to disperse the protest, curfew starts at 23 hours. Constitutional Lawyers said that arresting durgin the curfew in an emergency state is illegal so.. I wonder what will happen.

Far-right is calling to counter-protest this sunday. The last time they protest, this was the ammount of people:

That was their pathetic anti-immigrant protest. Fuck them all, pieces of shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

A funar a los FACHOOOOOOS

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Official number Is More than a million already.

Last Time there were at least half that number was when Pinochet left

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
i'm sorry for posting this in spanish, but i have to do it...

LA CARITA DE LOS CULIAOS DE LAGOS Y CHAWAN. VALEN PICOOO, VALEN PICOOOOOOO ESOS CONCHETUMADRES!!!!!!!!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i just saw a video of the riots to attack on titan music.

it is really eeire how the lyrics fit :s

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
One million, this is something incredible, history being written

This is the real Chile, this is what represents all of Latin America, not some neoliberal puppets pretending that everything is ok. This righteous anger is what makes me proud to be a part of this continent and its culture