Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.cnn.com

China's Xi opens Party Congress with speech tackling Taiwan, Hong Kong and zero-Covid | CNN

Chinese leader Xi Jinping on Sunday vowed to steer China through grave challenges toward national rejuvenation, advancing a nationalistic vision that has put it on a collision path with the West.

Chinese leader Xi Jinping on Sunday vowed to steer China through grave challenges toward national rejuvenation, advancing a nationalistic vision that has put it on a collision path with the West.

Speaking at the opening of the 20th Party Congress, where he is poised to secure a norm-breaking third term in power, Xi struck a confident tone, highlighting China's growing strength and rising influence under his first decade in power.

Describing the past five years as "highly unusual and extraordinary," Xi said the ruling Communist Party has led China through "a grim and complex international situation" and "huge risks and challenges that came one after another."

The very first challenges Xi listed were the Covid-19 pandemic, Hong Kong and Taiwan — all of which he claimed China had come away from victorious.

The Chinese government, Xi said, had "protected people's lives and health" from Covid, turned Hong Kong from "chaos to governance," and carried out "major struggles" against "independence forces" in the island of Taiwan, a self-governing democracy Beijing claims as its own territory despite having never controlled it.

Wen-Ti Sung, a political scientist with the Australia National University's Taiwan Studies Program, said Xi's decision to flag the Taiwan issue early on in his speech was a departure from previous speeches and conveys a "newfound urgency on making progress on the Taiwan issue."

He said China would "strive for peaceful reunification" — but then gave a grim warning, saying "we will never promise to renounce the use of force and we reserve the option of taking all measures necessary."

"The wheels of history are rolling on towards China's reunification and the rejuvenation of the Chinese nation. Complete reunification of our country must be realized," Xi said to thundering applause.

Xi also underscored the "rapid changes in the international situation" — a thinly veiled reference to the fraying ties between China and the West, which have been further strained by Beijing's tacit support for Moscow following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

He said China has "taken a clear-cut stance against hegemonism and power politics" and "never wavered" in opposition to unilateralism and "bullying" — in an apparent jab at what Beijing views as a US-led world order that needs to be dismantled.

Xi's speech was peppered with the Chinese term for "security" — which was mentioned about 50 times. He called national security the "foundation of the rejuvenation of the Chinese nation," and urged enhancing security in military, economy and "all aspects," both at home and abroad.

Another point of focus was Marxism and ideology. "I don't think there will be any relaxation of the ideological atmosphere in the coming five years," said Victor Shih, an expert on elite Chinese politics at the University of California.

Dali Yang, a political scientist at the University of Chicago, said the directions laid out in Xi's opening speech were a continuation of his previous policies. By emphasizing the challenges and struggles, he said, it justifies "the need for a strong party and its great leader."

The week-long congress kicked off on Sunday morning amid heightened security, escalated zero-Covid restrictions and a frenzy of propaganda and censorship.

The Communist Party's most consequential meeting in decades, the congress is set to cement Xi's status as the China's most powerful leader since late Chairman Mao Zedong, who ruled until his death aged 82. It will also have a profound impact on the world, as Xi doubles down on an assertive foreign policy to boost China's international clout and rewrite the US-led global order.

The congress will be a major moment of political triumph for Xi, but it also comes during a period of potential crisis. Xi's insistence on an uncompromising zero-Covid policy has fueled mounting public frustration and crippled economic growth. Meanwhile, diplomatically, his "no-limits" friendship with Russian President Vladimir Putin has further strained Beijing's ties with the West following Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Xi and Putin are two birds of a feather talking about "reunification" of sovereign territory through forceful means if necessary. Fuck off

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Interesting, this reads less about 'victories' than ongoing problems.
Ultimately while everyone is chicken littling the rise of China as we've all seen the world is for the forseeable future fucked for all of us that walk on the planet no matter what continent. China has a massive real estate bubble, unrest as previously mentioned along with covid supply chain disruptions always on the table and as relations with the West get colder feel more comfortable cosying up to Russia which is an even more maligned pariah.

Even for a dictator its tough in these streets

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
He also said something along the lines of being 'unwavering' in the Zero Covid policy and touted its effect on protecting public health, which is pretty significant.

There was a lot of speculation over whether Zero Covid would be dialed back after the party congress for economic (and recently political) reasons, but this makes it seem unlikely to happen any time soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Xi and Putin are two birds of a feather talking about "reunification" of sovereign territory through forceful means if necessary. Fuck off
Difference is, no one is boycotting/imposing sanctions on China even if they know for a fact that they are commiting genocide, even worse, attempts to do that get attacked as xenophobia by people that wouldnt make that argument with Russia.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
He also said something along the lines of being 'unwavering' in the Zero Covid policy and touted its effect on protecting public health, which is pretty significant.

There was a lot of speculation over whether Zero Covid would be dialed back after the party congress for economic (and recently political) reasons, but this makes it seem unlikely to happen any time soon.
"You can't strong arm a virus, Xi."

"THE HELL I CAN'T!"

less

Oct 25, 2017
Difference is, no one is boycotting/imposing sanctions on China even if they know for a fact that they are commiting genocide, even worse, attempts to do that get attacked as xenophobia by people that wouldnt make that argument with Russia.

Well. It isn't as if countries aren't working against China. The US has slowly been tightening the screws on China for a while. The Biden admin recently imposed export bans on a number of semiconductor products that is a huge setback for the Chinese chip industry just recently. It isn't over the genocide (or at least that ins't the main factor) but the US and others are wising up. China is just more integrated in the world economy so a slow approach has to be taken.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

I am frankly bit puzzled why they are still so determined with the whole zero covid policy. It has already had largish negative economic impact on china and with new variants is never ending fight that you can't win.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fair few bad lockdown stories but on balance their policy seems quite successful depending on what your priorities are.

Oh God no. They were super harmful. People were locked in their own homes and falsely accused of Covid. Crazy shit like that. it was a disaster...

www.resetera.com

Shanghai's strict covid lockdown produced so many tragedies. It's so tiring and depressing

China government just announced that Shanghai's ongoing lockdown over a nine-day period extends to an indeterminate time. https://www.thepaper.cn/newsDetail_forward_17462906 Rough Translate: Not many people outside know this but China's strict covid lockdown produced many tragedies and...

Oct 25, 2017
Well. It isn't as if countries aren't working against China. The US has slowly been tightening the screws on China for a while. The Biden admin recently imposed export bans on a number of semiconductor products that is a huge setback for the Chinese chip industry just recently. It isn't over the genocide (or at least that ins't the main factor) but the US and others are wising up. China is just more integrated in the world economy so a slow approach has to be taken.
My point is they arent comparable, Xi can do whatever the fuck he wants up to genocide and the west wills still treat him with kid gloves.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I am frankly bit puzzled why they are still so determined with the whole zero covid policy. It has already had largish negative economic impact on china and with new variants is never ending fight that you can't win.

The lack of modern health care in a lot of places, low vaccination rate among the elderly.

How do you get out? Province by province? There's no natural immunity in the county as they've been so successful at quashing it. Would it not lead to millions dead?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Oh God no. They were super harmful. People were locked in their own homes and falsely accused of Covid. Like it was a disaster...

www.resetera.com

Shanghai's strict covid lockdown produced so many tragedies. It's so tiring and depressing

China government just announced that Shanghai's ongoing lockdown over a nine-day period extends to an indeterminate time. https://www.thepaper.cn/newsDetail_forward_17462906 Rough Translate: Not many people outside know this but China's strict covid lockdown produced many tragedies and...

Yeah, I get that. That was an absolute disaster. But if you compare horrific lockdown and almost no deaths to 1 in every 300 odd dying in the US\UK plus the unknown long term effects of millions with long COVID...

Not saying they're doing it right just that if you're using certain metrics (human life) there's an argument for how they've done it.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
My point is they arent comparable, Xi can do whatever the fuck he wants up to genocide and the west wills still treat him with kid gloves.

Not that there are not double standards but before this whole scale invasion Russia was also handled with kid gloves. This is not first war of conquest Russia has waged during last 30 years. Chechneya (two times), Georgia, Crimea etc. Only Crimea resulted some small sanctions.

The lack of modern health care in a lot of places, low vaccination rate among the elderly.

How do you get out? Province by province? There's no natural immunity in the county as they've been so successful at quashing it. Would it not lead to millions dead?
I guess so. I remember reading that chinese vaccines also might have lower protection against serious covid than Moderna or Pfizer.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018

Obviously, none of us can read his mind, but I am not convinced if he planned to back down on Zero Covid over the next year he would mention it here anyway. Giving it such a big stage could read like admitting some sort of failure.

The obvious path out would be an extended push for Chinese people to finally get decent vaccines followed by a gradual loosening of the rules without having to admit any sort of error. Now that his "reelection" is out of the way, he'll no doubt have a bit more of a free hand. Regardless, any change would be slow.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, I get that. That was an absolute disaster. But if you compare horrific lockdown and almost no deaths to 1 in every 300 odd dying in the US\UK plus the unknown long term effects of millions with long COVID...

Not saying they're doing it right just that if you're using certain metrics (human life) there's an argument for how they've done it.
Can you trust those numbers, though?

I honestly don't know but North Korea "officially" didn't have Covid until 2021 or something which was clearly wrong. A dictator running a zero Covid policy probably has an interest that "nobody" is dying from Covid.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian

'Almost no death'...This shows how successful China's propaganda strategy is

Because of Zero Covid Policy, People suicide, starved to death, died due to other illness because hospital refused to admit patients,
died on the side of the road because of accident but no ambulance willing to come, medics die from overwork, pregnant women and the fetuses died together because the hospital did not accept them...

Yeah techically they didn't die of COVID

They were murdered

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Can you trust those numbers, though?

I honestly don't know but North Korea "officially" didn't have Covid until 2021 or something which was clearly wrong. A dictator running a zero Covid policy probably has an interest that "nobody" is dying from Covid.

Yeah, I thought that before too but apparently they're pretty accurate accordingly to the WHO.

Out by a bit but still tiny numbers for the size if the country.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Because of Zero Covid Policy, People suicide, starved to death, died due to other illness because hospital refused to admit patients,
died on the side of the road because of accident but no ambulance willing to come, medics die from overwork, pregnant women and the fetuses died together because the hospital did not accept them...

They were murdered

Woah, I read some harrowing stories a while back that covered some of the things you mention.

I wasn't refuting that. I just meant from a purely numbers standpoint. Millions Vs thousands.

As I said when I first brought it up I'm fairly ignorant on the topic. I started following a bunch of commentators on twitter recently to try educate myself. If you have some recommended twitter accounts or other reading material please share.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously, none of us can read his mind, but I am not convinced if he planned to back down on Zero Covid over the next year he would mention it here anyway. Giving it such a big stage could read like admitting some sort of failure.

The obvious path out would be an extended push for Chinese people to finally get decent vaccines followed by a gradual loosening of the rules without having to admit any sort of error. Now that his "reelection" is out of the way, he'll no doubt have a bit more of a free hand. Regardless, any change would be slow.

If you are planning to phase out Zero Covid soon, I think your options are:

1. Don't mention it in your speech
2. Say something more open-ended like "Zero Covid has bought us the time it took to develop vaccines and strengthen the public health system." That lets you take credit without doubling down.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Woah, I read some harrowing stories a while back that covered some of the things you mention.

I wasn't refuting that. I just meant from a purely numbers standpoint. Millions Vs thousands.

As I said when I first brought it up I'm fairly ignorant on the topic. I started following a bunch of commentators on twitter recently to try educate myself. If you have some recommended twitter accounts or other reading material please share.
You're missing the broader point about those numbers not being trustworthy

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Read post 7 and then tell me that it's worth trusting the official party line on anything. Fewer deaths per population than the US/Europe? Sure. Just a few thousand deaths as officially claimed - I'd be shocked.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
You're missing the broader point about those numbers not being trustworthy

Read post 7 and then tell me that it's worth trusting the official party line on anything. Fewer deaths per population than the US/Europe? Sure. Just a few thousand deaths as officially claimed - I'd be shocked.

They do record asymptotic and symptomatic numbers separately with the latter being the one that gets the headline.

Certainly I don't trust the official line but haven't seen good evidence to the contrary either.

The few people I know in Beijing get 3 PCR tests a week on an ongoing basis. If it's like that in every city I can see how it would be relatively contained.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

They were murdered
Its amazing that despite how ruthless China has shown to be, I still frequently hear stuff like "I'm sure its not that bad over there" as the CCP speed run their way to a tech based scifi dystopia.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not too surprising (outside of the Taiwan comments imo) Xi will continue to take the party in a direction that has been in line with how they have operated during covid. Now fingers crossed they don't actually invade Taiwan

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
He must be hoping the invasion of Ukraine will continue to distract their opponents. Otherwise, invading Taiwan would cause an immediate falling out with their largest trading partners and China can't afford that.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I know so much of our attention has been focused on Russia for the last 70 years, but China is really the final boss of the global scene. The mask finally came, and the current issue with Russia and Ukraine is going to be kids stuff compared to what we possibly might have with Taiwan in china. We should have never contributed to the economic and political rise of China from the '80s onward.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
We should have never contributed to the economic and political rise of China from the '80s onward.

It's interesting to me that Western and Western-aligned Asian countries are still actively contributing to it by sending work there. Like...I'd think Taiwan would be the last country to want to contribute to China's economy, but the monitor I'm looking at right now says "DESIGNED BY ASUS IN TAIWAN" in conspicuous print on the side, but "MADE IN CHINA" in smaller print on the back. People talk about rivalry with China being a "new cold war" but during the original cold war Western homes certainly weren't filled with Made in USSR goods.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
They do record asymptotic and symptomatic numbers separately with the latter being the one that gets the headline.

Certainly I don't trust the official line but haven't seen good evidence to the contrary either.

The few people I know in Beijing get 3 PCR tests a week on an ongoing basis. If it's like that in every city I can see how it would be relatively contained.
Do they count people dying because they aren't admitted to the hospital? Because that doesn't seem to be an uncommon occurrence? How about people dying because of lack of ability to get medicine?

This is because of Xi's hubris and refusal to buy Western vaccines. Hell, they are pushing traditional Chinese medicine as COVID cure and instead of proper medical services in general... because its cheaper and easy to blame someone else.

Hundreds of millions of people are under some sort of lockdown every single day in Xi's China. There is no effort to get folks vaccinated or improve healthcare (admittedly, in US we have our own disaster) and its unlikely to improve with current housing crash, upcoming global recession (less exports), continuous lockdowns, very high youth unemployment and more. For example, provincial governments basically don't have any money since taxes go to central government and usual land sales aren't working right now.

Again, its not like the West, and other Democracies don't have their own issues, but in China everything stops with Xi, and all the top government people are getting promoted based on loyalty to Xi. And that's going to have (and already is having) all kinds of consequences.

It's interesting to me that Western and Western-aligned Asian countries are still actively contributing to it by sending work there. Like...I'd think Taiwan would be the last country to want to contribute to China's economy, but the monitor I'm looking at right now says "DESIGNED BY ASUS IN TAIWAN" in conspicuous print on the side, but "MADE IN CHINA" in smaller print on the back. People talk about rivalry with China being a "new cold war" but during the original cold war Western homes certainly weren't filled with Made in USSR goods.
Yep, the West build it's own enemy in empowering CCP. Mind you, things were somewhat looking up before Xi came to power. There was hope in further reforms, China joining global institutions, etc... You can draw parallels with Putin and Russia as well, kind of. Obviously things started rolling down hill since.

That said, its a thorny problem. We build up CCP and its power through outsourcing manufacturing and allowing technology transfers. Now the world is tied. Hell, West doesn't have knowledge or capability to bring a lot of manufacturing back at any speedy time limit. And further, if its moved back, a lot is moved to Vietnam and other nearby countries. Lets just say that supply chain won't be present in case of "hot" conflict with China over Taiwan.

Last edited:

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Do they count people dying because they aren't admitted to the hospital? Because that doesn't seem to be an uncommon occurrence? How about people dying because of lack of ability to get medicine?

This is because of Xi's hubris and refusal to buy Western vaccines. Hell, they are pushing traditional Chinese medicine as COVID cure and instead of proper medical services in general... because its cheaper and easy to blame someone else.

Hundreds of millions of people are under some sort of lockdown every single day in Xi's China. There is no effort to get folks vaccinated or improve healthcare (admittedly, in US we have our own disaster) and its unlikely to improve with current housing crash, upcoming global recession (less exports), continuous lockdowns, very high youth unemployment and more. For example, provincial governments basically don't have any money since taxes go to central government and usual land sales aren't working right now.

Again, its not like the West, and other Democracies don't have their own issues, but in China everything stops with Xi, and all the top government people are getting promoted based on loyalty to Xi. And that's going to have (and already is having) all kinds of consequences.

Xinjiang (the region with the Uighurs) has been 2 months in lockdown now and people can't get dialysis and are in grave danger because hospitals are in lockdown and they can't get treatment.
People gone suicide because they are out of jobs, savings and food. Economy is in shambles despite ostensible growth by numbers.

Any other deaths not directly from covid are not counted towards the total, but we know they are there.
The "official" number, even if we assume it's accurate, does not paint a full picture of the human misery.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Xinjiang (the region with the Uighurs) has been 2 months in lockdown now and people can't get dialysis and are in grave danger.
People gone suicide because they are out of jobs, savings and food.

Any other deaths not directly from covid are not counted towards the total, but we know they are there.
The "official" number, even if we assume it's accurate, does not paint a full picture of the human misery.
Of course not, that was a rhetorical question really to the other poster. China frankly did do the right thing in the beginning and it saved millions of lives. Of course Xi and CCP basically patted themselves on the back and ignored the rest of the necessary work afterwards, starting with refusal of Western vaccines.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Of course not, that was a rhetorical question really to the other poster. China frankly did do the right thing in the beginning and it saved millions of lives. Of course Xi and CCP basically patted themselves on the back and ignored the rest of the necessary work afterwards, starting with refusal of Western vaccines.

Frankly I agree too. If they walked the path of Vietnam, Taiwan or New Zealand it would've been great. But now they (to be more precise, he) forced themselves into a corner of nationalist stubbornness.

Or if you want the conspiracy route, covid is the greatest opportunity to exercise the dream of full-scale, all-day surveillence state.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Frankly I agree too. If they walked the path of Vietnam, Taiwan or New Zealand it would've been great. But now they (to be more precise, he) forced themselves into a corner of nationalist stubbornness.

Or if you want the conspiracy route, covid is the greatest opportunity to exercise the dream of full-scale, all-day surveillence state.
Oh, I am sure its a great excuse to basically turn China into even more police state. Its super easy now to just set people's "health code" to red as been happening now on constant basis like with those bank petitioners who lost their cash in the rural bank implosion.

Since all public transportation and even cabs and such check for health codes, its very easy for CCP to lock folks down now. However, they could have still have that and vaccinated people with actually working vaccines. IMO, its a mix of nationalism, paranoia, surrounding himself with yes-men who assured him that vaccines will be ready and so on.

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
The lockdowns in China only really served a purpose in 2020, which despite being extreme and draconian, were very effective in curbing death rates.

From around May 2020 through to the start of this year China by in large operated "normally" within the confines of a closed boarder. This was during a period where the rest of the world seemed at a loss with covid, secondary lockdowns during the delta outbreak right through to the eventual vaccination period which thankfully meant lockdowns could end in the west despite the contagious nature of omicron.

There were pocket lockdowns in small districts and cities in China during this period, but nothing like what has happened during this year. There is little threat to life with omicron, even with a weak vaccine and bad national health infrastructure, nobody is dying. The lockdowns and the zero covid policy have become nothing more than an exercise in state control, for whatever reason.

There was optimism amongst my friends in China that this would relax after this conference but that now seems unlikely.

My fiancées parents live in a city of 19m people where there are 80 cases of covid and her father is indefinitely in a quarantine facility because he was in close contact with someone who was positive. He hasn't tested positive once. Her mother is forced to stay at home as a result.

I lived in China for 7 years up until 2017, and had some of the best years of my life, met wonderful people and enjoyed the culture immensely. Even back then things felt different. You knew there was censorship and state control but it was just something that operated in the background with little effect on the day to day.

Xi's second term which has occurred over the last 5 years (since I left China) feel like a complete regression in the progress made by a burgeoning economy and an affluent, younger generation.

It's absolutely terrible to try and hazard a guess what the next 5 years will contain.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I know so much of our attention has been focused on Russia for the last 70 years, but China is really the final boss of the global scene. The mask finally came, and the current issue with Russia and Ukraine is going to be kids stuff compared to what we possibly might have with Taiwan in china. We should have never contributed to the economic and political rise of China from the '80s onward.

Final boss of the global scene?

What a weird way to describe a country and what a weird way to view the world and life.

Fubbelub

Jul 25, 2021
www.bbc.co.uk

Hong Kong protester dragged into Manchester Chinese consulate grounds and beaten up

Clashes break out after unidentified men attack placards at a Hong Kong pro-democracy protest.

Fucking hell.
A spokesperson for the consulate said the protesters had "hung an insulting portrait of the Chinese president at the main entrance".
"This would be intolerable and unacceptable for any diplomatic and consular missions of any country. Therefore, we condemn this deplorable act with strong indignation and firm opposition," the spokesperson added.
Impressive how they just lean into being totalitarian nutters, and openly thinks everybody else is/should be as well.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Oh God no. They were super harmful. People were locked in their own homes and falsely accused of Covid. Crazy shit like that. it was a disaster...

www.resetera.com

If you compare it to other countries like the US for instance, it's more heaven than hell. The bad thing is not adjusting the policies despite having vaccines and medicine.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Economy is doing poorly, covid regulations are an unmitigated disaster, our soft power is down the drain, Taiwan is more estranged than ever, give me a third term!

*applause* *yay* *our hero*

At this point they're keeping all the restrictions and lockdowns in place to keep people from fleeing.

If you compare it to other countries like the US for instance, it's more heaven than hell. The bad thing is not adjusting the policies despite having vaccines and medicine.
You have a very strange definition of heaven.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Its amazing that despite how ruthless China has shown to be, I still frequently hear stuff like "I'm sure its not that bad over there" as the CCP speed run their way to a tech based scifi dystopia.

I'm just tired. I've never heard someone on Era said, 'I'm not America, but I know American's gun control/racist problems isn't that bad'! Like, never ever. And I'm sure if someone did say that, they'd be banned, harshly.

But I lost counts of how many times I've heard people said 'China isn't that bad because I know some Chinese'. Heck, the most ridiculous one I've heard was 'I know because I've been to ASIA'. And conversation like this rarely happen in threads about other countrys' problems. I just don't get it. Nobody here trust Trump, Putin, Tucker Carlson, Alex Jones ...yet there are people who chose to trust Xi Jinping, the most powerful, the biggest dictator of them all. Fucking brilliant propaganda work from Chinese government I say.