• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/21/chinas-new-gaming-rules-to-ban-poker-blood-and-imperial-schemes/

On April 10th, the country's State Administration of Press and Publication, the freshly minted gaming authority born from a months-long reshufflelast year that led to an approval blackout, held a gaming conference and enshrined a new set of guidelines for publication that are set to move some to joy and others to sorrow. TechCrunch confirmed with an attendee present at the conference and a source close to the SAPP that the event took place.

Games that contain images of corpses and blood will also be rejected. Developers previously modified blood color to green to circumvent restrictions, but the renewed guidelines have effectively ruled out any color variations of blood.

2jWWjY9.png

China will also stop approving certain games inspired by its imperial past, including "gongdou," which directly translates to harem scheming, as well as "guandou," the word for palace official competition. The life inside palaces has inspired blockbuster TV series such as the Story of Yanxi Palace, an in-house production from China's Netflix equivalent iQiyi . But these plots also touch a nerve with Chinese officials who worry about "obscene contents and the risk of political metaphors," Daniel Ahmad, senior analyst at Nikos Partners, suggested to TechCrunch.

It's odd to me that they'd actually straight up ban ancient Chinese imperial intrigue drama. You know, like concubines backstabbing each other, eunuchs, emperors. It's hilarious that even metaphors are something officials are afraid of. Pic above is from a mobile game where the women compete to win the Emperor's love.

Also, green blood doesn't work anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I've always wondered why the Yakuza games are impossible to find on Taobao. Must be because they take the gangster / gambling / underground elements really seriously.

You can but pretty much many other game you want on Taobao, but Yakuza has always been strangely absent.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/21/chinas-new-gaming-rules-to-ban-poker-blood-and-imperial-schemes/

2jWWjY9.png

It's odd to me that they'd actually straight up ban ancient Chinese imperial intrigue drama. You know, like concubines backstabbing each other, eunuchs, emperors. It's hilarious that even metaphors are something officials are afraid of. Pic above is from a mobile game where the women compete to win the Emperor's love.

Also, green blood doesn't work anymore.
"obscene contents and the risk of political metaphors" is very telling terminology for what the purpose of this ultimately is. Even the risk of political metaphors, let alone actual political points, is enough to cause concern.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Not even this can get through:

Perhaps games akin 2D platformer featuring family friendly Winnie the Pooh in search fountain of honey will do better.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
do the court drama rules extend to c-dramas- ah i bet not huh

Perhaps games akin 2D platformer featuring family friendly Winnie the Pooh in search fountain of honey will do better.

pooh bear doesn't have a chance of getting past the great firewall

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they only mean "human corpses", because it feels like every game lets you kill and skin some kind of animal these days.

Also not even allowing green blood is crazy.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Most of that can be found in FFXIV. Curious what'll happen to the Chinese version if anything.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The biggest question for me is why Mahjong?

Has to be because it incites gambling or something...the same reason for the banning of Poker games.

Why do virtual when you can do rl Mahjong...and see the pain you inflict stomping others

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
No it is incredibly popular, it is a Chinese game.

Betting on mahjong is technically illegal but it still happens everywhere on a daily basis. My father in law spends hours on end in mahjong halls, and also playing this certain card game that I have never understood properly.

That's kind of what I thought. My in laws from Hong Kong play it all the time.