• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Read the first ten chapters of Warlock. It's pretty good so far.
giphy.gif

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
He changes locations often so if there is a place you don't like him being don't worry he'll move

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You could say he is selfish and super self centered. Which he is
His goal is to become stronger and will go anywhere that'll aid in that. Will also do anything. Not a good guy.
I figured that out in the first couple of chapters. His interaction with the Direwolves is a good example of that.

less

Oct 25, 2017
."It's really quite fun to destroy fantasies and let youths find out about the cruelty of life as soon as possible!"

Heh. Seeing this in Warlock gave me a chuckle. Xianxia protagonists should all be considered assholes or villains barring a few semi-decent ones.

Numb I actually just wait for there to be a few hundred chapters before reading them all in one go.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Heh. Seeing this in Warlock gave me a chuckle. Xianxia protagonists should all be considered assholes or villains barring a few semi-decent ones.

Numb I actually just wait for there to be a few hundred chapters before reading them all in one go.
I feel like that is an unspoken rule when it comes to reading online novels like these.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the problem with being an English only speaker I think. A lot of the stories I want to read are several hundred chapters behind.

Of course, I do think that Chinese speakers have a similar problem. It's just that they have to wait for the author rather than the translator.

Also, I wonder how much web fiction the English-speaking side of the web makes gets translated into Chinese by a fan.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, that's the problem with being an English only speaker I think. A lot of the stories I want to read are several hundred chapters behind.

Of course, I do think that Chinese speakers have a similar problem. It's just that they have to wait for the author rather than the translator.
I read in Chinese, and what I do is only try out books that are already finished. Even if I wanted to read chapters as they come out, there are so many novels that it's easy to constantly read something.

Also, I wonder how much web fiction the English-speaking side of the web makes gets translated into Chinese by a fan.
Probably very little. A lot of prominent English-language novels already get official translations, and the size of the Western web novel industry is tiny compared to the Asian ones. And even compared to the Japanese and Korean ones, the Chinese market is gigantic. To give you an idea of the scale, Qidian alone hosts some 6 million books. If anyone is going to translate English-language works, they're probably going to concentrate on published novels that don't have official translations.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That is a lot of books. I didn't think that the Chinese market was that huge compared to other markets around the world.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Also anyone have any recommendations for reading apps that work with wuxiaworld and the others? I just got a new OnePlus 5T and I decided I'd install a few new things.

I just installed Neovel but it seems to be just a novelupdates mobile app.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
That is a lot of books. I didn't think that the Chinese market was that huge compared to other markets around the world.
To give some perspective, the second largest web novel market in the world is Japan. There, it's basically just Syosetsuka ni Narou, which has around 600,000 books. The other unusual thing about Chinese web novels is that a lot of the most prominent authors are basically professional writers. They make more money writing web novels than paper books, so they keep doing it even after they've been established.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Chinese novels. Totally cool with having Racism and Rape victim become lovers tags
full

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/racism/
https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/rape-victim-becomes-lover/

Against the gods has been number 1 overall forever(still is under all time) and the amount of women he goes down on is insane. I'm not spoiling much but these pure maidens (who are way stronger than him btw) are put in a postions where he has to defend them or done something that forces him to have sex with them. Mind you they'd rather die than be defiled but the MC still does it and the story is written in a way that it'ssmoothed over. I could could into this more won't. I dropped it after this happened like 3 times. Same scenario

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/racism/
https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/rape-victim-becomes-lover/

Against the gods has been number 1 overall forever(still is under all time) and the amount of women he goes down in is insane. I'm not spoiling much but these pure maidens (who are way stronger than him btw) are put in a postions where he has to defend them or done something that forces him to have sex with them. Mind you they'd rather die than be defiled but the MC still does it and the story is written in a way that it'ssmoothed over. I could could into this more won't. I dropped it after this happened like 3 times. Same scenario
Thanks for the heads up. I might just watch out for these.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, definitely check out when something questionable like that shows up. That's probably one of the best things about Novelupdates' zillion tags - they let you filter out that kind of stuff you wouldn't know about until a million words in.

Unfortunately, one of the best and most influential Chinese novel of the last century famously has a rape scene in it. Every single xianxia, xuanhuan, and wuxia writers has read that book, so you can expect that kind of material to find itself into books now and again.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
That's why i always check the tags
Read God and devil world for a while then BOOM! surprise racism
I shouldv'e seen it coming tbh

less

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely check out when something questionable like that shows up. That's probably one of the best things about Novelupdates' zillion tags - they let you filter out that kind of stuff you wouldn't know about until a million words in.

Unfortunately, one of the best and most influential Chinese novel of the last century famously has a rape scene in it. Every single xianxia, xuanhuan, and wuxia writers has read that book, so you can expect that kind of material to find itself into books now and again.

What Chinese novel are you talking about?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, finally caught up to Ze Tian Ji (chapter 696 atm, was ~200 chapters behind when I posted my recommendation).

This is flat-out god-tier. The characters and character development is just astoundingly good and the prose is above most other Webnovels as well. And it actually knows NUANCE.
If there's one nitpick I have is that some fights can drag a little due to the flowery prose.

But man, Chen Changshen is such a fantastic main character and I love his character development.
This current arc is shaping up to be utterly fantastic.

DreTheSage

Oct 27, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Ze Tian Je is mentioned several times either its boring or good, make up your minds!

just now started the Wizard Word. LOL @ being reincarnated with a computer chip. Da fuck...

less

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, finally caught up to Ze Tian Ji (chapter 696 atm, was ~200 chapters behind when I posted my recommendation).

This is flat-out god-tier. The characters and character development is just astoundingly good and the prose is above most other Webnovels as well. And it actually knows NUANCE.
If there's one nitpick I have is that some fights can drag a little due to the flowery prose.

But man, Chen Changshen is such a fantastic main character and I love his character development.
This current arc is shaping up to be utterly fantastic.

CCS is absolutely amazing. Probably my favorite Chinese wn protagonist. And yeah, ZTJ is stellar in almost every regard. From romance to character development to the plot. One of the few times where I felt that a female in a Xianxia was actually a good character.

23 chaps till Warlock is over
There's so much shit going down right now

Oh wow. For some reason I thought that there were far more chapters for this. On ch. 855

Ze Tian Je is mentioned several times either its boring or good, make up your minds!

just now started the Wizard Word. LOL @ being reincarnated with a computer chip. Da fuck...

ZTJ is a bit slow paced in the beginning and people probably don't like that the mc doesn't start cultivating until after chapter 100. But it honestly is well worth a read.

That chip is bullshit and a horrible cheat.

Chip analyze this spell.

Chip figure out a way to breakthrough to the next rank.

Chip figure out the best way to give myself a handjob.

And so on and on and on.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I got to chapter 93 so far. I'm enjoying it so far.
Bless
It's basically complete for you for what's left
Oh wow. For some reason I thought that there were far more chapters for this. On ch. 855
Checked the chaps
Although less than 400 chaps are left for you the amount of shit that goes down is insane. Far more that has happened in the prior 800. It is a thing with these novels to jam so much in the end. Looking at you ISSTH

Looking at where you are you haven't gotten to the 2 times times we don't follow Leylin's POV. Considering us having spent almost 1000 chaps from his POV it could get annoying following people you don't care about even for plot reasons but if we knew beforehand this would happen i would have been ok with it why i'm telling you. It's not even bad just that i don't give a damn about the others

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, A Will Eternal is really going places that I didn't think it would go. I'm pretty happy with it. This is one of Er Gen's best works, easily. I really love that the protagonist's main motivation is to live forever and his personality is properly shaped around that motivation. He's deathly afraid of actually dying, but I never feel like this personality keeps him from being badass.

Oct 27, 2017
I really love that the protagonist's main motivation is to live forever and his personality is properly shaped around that motivation. He's deathly afraid of actually dying, but I never feel like this personality keeps him from being badass.

I caught up to the last translated bit of the translation of A Will Eternal and I like that a lot about his character too. His 'badass' moments come about when he's literally in mortal fear and flight isn't getting results.

Also, AWE is a hilarious read. It's way more enjoyable than I expected. Usually I like being a fast reader, but when translation is still in progress it can be a bad thing.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Bless
It's basically complete for you for what's left

Checked the chaps
Although less than 400 chaps are left for you the amount of shit that goes down is insane. Far more that has happened in the prior 800. It is a thing with these novels to jam so much in the end. Looking at you ISSTH

Looking at where you are you haven't gotten to the 2 times times we don't follow Leylin's POV. Considering us having spent almost 1000 chaps from his POV it could get annoying following people you don't care about even for plot reasons but if we knew beforehand this would happen i would have been ok with it why i'm telling you. It's not even bad just that i don't give a damn about the others

The further I read the more I start laughing. The author ripping off DnD was amusing enough but him naming someone Vegeta basically turned this into a comedy for me.

I actually don't mind the povs of some of the other characters. Not terribly entertaining but tolerable.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, Yu Ren is the freaking best. Such an amazing character.
He better get a happy ending, author :/

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
The author of Ze Tian Ji, is generally considered to be the best writer in Chinese Web novel circle.
I started reading a bit of Ze Tian Ji, and the prose is really quite good. However, it doesn't have the strongest of story hooks, so I'm not going to fully commit to it yet. Right now I'm reading "the Good for Nothing Seventh Young Lady" and it's not a particularly good book, but it does have its moments and it's been a lot of fun so far. It's also the first xuanhuan novel I've really tried so I'm going to be a bit more forgiving.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I started reading a bit of Ze Tian Ji, and the prose is really quite good. However, it doesn't have the strongest of story hooks, so I'm not going to fully commit to it yet. Right now I'm reading "the Good for Nothing Seventh Young Lady" and it's not a particularly good book, but it does have its moments and it's been a lot of fun so far. It's also the first xuanhuan novel I've really tried so I'm going to be a bit more forgiving.

Where are you in ZTJ so far? It does take a bit of time to really get going.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I'm just barely started. I plan to delve more deeply this weekend because it requires more effort than most books out there.