• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 7, 2020
USA
https://news.ltn.com.tw/news/world/breakingnews/3903399

https://www.ntdtv.com/gb/2022/04/23/a103408333.html

A L-15 training jet has crashed in Anhui China, both pilots were able to escape and land with their parachute. From social media posts by locals one of the pilot appears to be Russian.

phpPiKGeC.png

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a Russian solider I presume piloting a Chinese aircraft like that? I assume this is news because it's not Normal and might be a training exercise?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Russians probably figured they weren't appearing completely incompetent enough already in Ukraine so why not bring the show on the road.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Saw it being talked about, but chinese online is saying it's in a different place

Somewhere in Henan
Zhenligu Township, Yucheng County, Shangqiu City, Henan
河南商丘市虞城县镇里固乡

The crash being share on Chinese social media

Pilot that is foreign, and some people are saying their equipment is not training gear, but sonic jet gear?

So something about China supplying jet plane to Russia for Ukraine.
But not alot of information at this time.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
The assumption is China supplying Russia.
China has never stopped military cooperation with Russia. Trading weapons, training programs, etc. Now Russia is invading Ukraine, so in a broad sense China is already assisting Russia.

But what I meant is, there is no need to overanalyze the relevance of this news to wars in Ukraine.

The report said "A L-15 training jet has crashed in Anhui China". Anhui is here:

1280px-Anhui_in_China_%28%2Ball_claims_hatched%29.svg.png

See how far it is from Russia and Ukraine? This is central-east China. This was just standard training.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
China has never stopped military cooperation with Russia. Trading weapons, training programs, etc. Now Russia is invading Ukraine, so in a broad sense China is already assisting Russia.

But what I meant is, there is no need to overanalyze the relevance of this news to wars in Ukraine.

The report said "A L-15 training jet has crashed in Anhui China". Anhui is here:

See how far it is from Russia and Ukraine? This is central China. This was just standard training.
Crashes during training is not uncommon also.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

See how far it is from Russia and Ukraine? This is central-east China. This was just standard training.

Why would this matter? Ukrainians train in the US. A flight from east China to western Russia is a few hours.

OP
OP
purplemonkey111
Mar 7, 2020
USA

According to wiki, the L15 is a Chinese developed fighter plane. I just think its weird that a Russian pilot would be training a Chinese pilot on a Chinese plane.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
According to wiki, the L15 is a Chinese developed fighter plane. I just think its weird that a Russian pilot would be training a Chinese pilot on a Chinese plane.

This is being analyzed really weird like a game of telephone as things are definitely getting lost somewhere. The fighter is an L15, which was developed by China with the Russian company Yakovlev as a consultant. That's why they think the person on the plane is Russian. They don't actually know if he's Russian other than that.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Why would this matter? Ukrainians train in the US. A flight from east China to western Russia is a few hours.
I already said this in my first sentence:
"China has never stopped military cooperation with Russia. Trading weapons, training programs, etc. Now Russia is invading Ukraine, so in a broad sense China is already assisting Russia."

And this plane is lead-in fighter trainer. I know Russia is incompetent but they won't send a student on a trainer plane to Ukraine...

Oh, I see. Chinese wikipedia about this plane has more information.

Last sentence of first paragraph: "本教练机由俄国雅科夫列夫设计局公司以顾问角色协助开发". "This trainer plane was developed by the Russian Yakovlev Design Bureau Company in an advisory role".

It's co-development by both China and Russian. I get that it feels weird, but that just "tradition brotherly love!" between China and Russia.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
This is being analyzed really weird like a game of telephone as things are definitely getting lost somewhere. The fighter is an L15, which was developed by China with the Russian company Yakovlev as a consultant. That's why they think the person on the plane is Russian. They don't actually know if he's Russian other than that.

Is that why people think the pilot is Russian? So since L15 has an Ukraine made jet engine, the pilot could be Ukrainian too!