Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Yesterday a Chinese gamer/cosplayer posted this post on Weibo.

(This is screen cap because the post was deleted. Recommend using they/them refer to original poster because they stated in their bio that "my sex is a mystery")

lRmBmNe.jpg

Translation:

"#isopstillalivetoday#

To new friends and old friends who don't know what happened to me:

Shandong Qingdao West Coast Political Security arrested me and my colleagues in fan-translation group as spies/traitors because of my involvement in the localization of HOV IV mod Millennium Dawn.

What's funny is that we weren't even that involved in this project. We only worked on it for about half-a-month then gave up on it.

Police interrogated us about seven or eight times questioning whether we had accepted funds from foreign agencies or were involved in the development of the game.

Then they found out they had caught a bunch of weebs, who weren't even pro-America or pro-Japan or all that, but were Marxists at heart.

The police felt embarrassed. They didn't set us free, didn't even send us to a detention center. They just kept us in the police station for 28 days(maximum legal limit.) After we were released they didn't even ask for bail.

While we were in there, my lawyer tried to reach for me but was ingnored. He tried asking the Procuratorate, but the Procuratorate said they didn't know shit about my case.

After my release, the Political Security still called me several times urging me to "redeem my crime" by reporting more "problematic" games and mods.

Both my lawyer and I thought: fuck them.

We are now pressuring the Procuratorate and trying to find their mistakes.

I can't swallow this."

annotation 1: The original post used "50w" to refer to spies/traitors.The thing comes from the fact that under Chinese law, someone who catches a spy can get a reward of up to half a million yuan.

annotation 2: The"detention center" they talked about is not the same as those "detention center" in Xinjiang.It's kind of like a jail in America and holds people for shorter periods of time.

The mod:

If my picture doesn't show then view this reddit thread with similar translation:

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Alot of game and other news from China recently too, with the no English, and limiting time of play and other various action.

A popular mobage Clash of Clan, origionally had a global server, but the last few day, suddenly, all the chinese player got move to their own server with no warning.

And you can't visit their place now too
Mf9ZoHGl.jpg

And many people suddenly findng their clan is left with themself, becasue the other are all from China and talking to the maker on their FB

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
annotation 1: The original post used "50w" to refer to spies/traitors.The thing comes from the fact that under Chinese law, someone who catches a spy can get a reward of up to half a million yuan.
Not sure if that kind of thing is 'normal' in other countries, but that just seems like a bad idea, in general.

Given that they were asking them to find and report other 'troublesome' mods, if the person in the OP had actually worked substantially on the mod, would they actually have been in real trouble?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if that kind of thing is 'normal' in other countries, but that just seems like a bad idea, in general.

Given that they were asking them to find and report other 'troublesome' mods, if the person in the OP had actually worked substantially on the mod, would they actually have been in real trouble?

Someone snitching for that reward was probably the exact reason they got picked up in the first place

OP
OP
Ceerious

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian

Fortunately for them, it was a fan MOD. If they had done paid work for real HOI IV devs, and if there was evidence that they accept foreign funds then yes, they would face much bigger trouble.

I would say they were allready in big enough trouble. They were detained in police station for 28 days and received harassment from police afterwards after all.

Held for 28 days with no legal recourse at all? That's nightmarish, my god.

Standard coercion method practised by Chinese police. They can detain suspects without evidence for up to thirty-seven days.

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm actually kinda losing it at the idea that the police thought they had found spies or pro American people translating this mod. Only for them to interrogate them and find out they are just a regular dork.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Fortunately for them, it was a fan MOD. If they had done paid work for real HOI IV devs, and if there was evidence that they accept foreign funds then yes, they would face much bigger trouble.

I would say they were allready in big enough trouble. They were detained in police station for 28 days and received harassment from police afterwards after all.
Why is that being treated as something illegal? Is it just the police trying to catch some 'spies' to get promotions or something?

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017

Yea, now that i reread what I wrote, it did seem like I was saying that what happened was no big deal. Don't mean to minimize what happened to them. Sorry

Is HOI IV legal to sell in China? I thought there was some regulation about showing a divided China or something. (like the two parties fighting eachother.)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kinda losing it at the idea that the police thought they had found spies or pro American people translating this mod. Only for them to interrogate them and find out they are just a regular dork.

All is well and good until you leak classified schematics of a tank to argue that it needs to get buffed in the game you're playing 😸

(True story)

OP
OP
Ceerious

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
The police didnt know about the game, and only see military vehicle and translating different language
……And they see the face of Chiang Kai-shek in this game. The police might be like, instanly panicked

Is HOI IV legal to sell in China? I thought there was some regulation about showing a divided China or something. (like the two parties fighting eachother.)
It is officially banned. You can't buy it directly from steam in China. Fans get steam keys from other sources.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Why is that being treated as something illegal? Is it just the police trying to catch some 'spies' to get promotions or something?
You can go to jail if you post some shit on Weibo that a CCP censor doesn't like. Not talking about "Free Taiwan" stuff, but even criticizing local official.

China under Xi's CCP is very much a dystopian dictatorship.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
You can go to jail if you post some shit on Weibo that a CCP censor doesn't like. Not talking about "Free Taiwan" stuff, but even criticizing local official.

China under Xi's CCP is very much a dystopian dictatorship.

Not just that, but they also listen and record wechat call, so you have to be careful when talking to family through those in China.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just crazy and should be a lesson for everyone that the CCP is a dystopian dictatorship.

But who am I kidding, they put millions of Uyghurs in concentration camps and some people still didn't care.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Yea, now that i reread what I wrote, it did seem like I was saying that what happened was no big deal. Don't mean to minimize what happened to them. Sorry

It shows a divided China but it breaks it down into the major warlords of the time. So you have the Nationalists and communists but also the Guangxi Clique and others.