Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would take 100 racists who would not otherwise be exposed if it means someone loses their job for a few days and gets it back, absolutely.

No, not "and gets it back" because your stance in this thread has been that she deserved to lose her job for not following protocol.

You believe that one completely innocent person being attacked by a mob, being publicly branded as something they are not, and losing their job in the process is 'worth it' for 'exposing' people via public shaming rather than any other avenue of redress?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
No, not "and gets it back" because your stance in this thread has been that she deserved to lose her job for not following protocol.
I didn't say she deserved to lose her job, I said I did not fault Chipotle for letting her go for the reasons they did. In fact, I said it was my hope she would get her job back.

You believe that one completely innocent person being attacked by a mob, being publicly branded as something they are not, and losing their job in the process is 'worth it' for 'exposing' people via public shaming rather than any other avenue of redress?
Yes, when there are few other viable avenues of redress available to minorities.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say she deserved to lose her job, I said I did not fault Chipotle for letting her go for the reasons they did. In fact, I said it was my hope she would get her job back.

Yes, when there are few other viable avenues of redress available to minorities.

i hope you never end up being in the shoes of that innocent person

Stat

Oct 25, 2017

Not that I want to throw my hat into this, but its why we (though Im Canadian and it still applies) have the "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" in the legal system.

It's that reasonable doubt is that we would rather let an actual criminal walk free than put an innocent person in prison vs. putting everyone in jail including innocent people. It's why the death penalty is so expensive to pursue; if you're going to sentence someone to death, you want to make sure you get it right.

Vs. this idea that someone should be punished right away before we get all the details; its why mob mentality is scary as hell if you turn out to be innocent.

Wasn't there a paper/speech about how internet mob mentality can utterly destroy people's psyche.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I linked him a TED talk about exactly that in this very topic.
He said he "has no minutes" for the targets discussed.
Ah, no, again you are (probably willfully at this point to suit whatever narrative you have concocted) misrepresenting my words. I specified two distinct people that were discussed in the talk - not all of them. Please stick to what was actually said and do not misrepresent my words.
Not that I want to throw my hat into this, but its why we (though Im Canadian and it still applies) have the "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" in the legal system.

It's that reasonable doubt is that we would rather let an actual criminal walk free than put an innocent person in prison vs. putting everyone in jail including innocent people. It's why the death penalty is so expensive to pursue; if you're going to sentence someone to death, you want to make sure you get it right.

Vs. this idea that someone should be punished right away before we get all the details; its why mob mentality is scary as hell if you turn out to be innocent.

Wasn't there a paper/speech about how internet mob mentality can utterly destroy people's psyche.
Yes, it absolutely can, but we are straying from my original point where others sought to make it more broad than intended. Let's get back to base camp with my original statement:

It's good when people jump in when it's just though, and with cases framed like this one was way more often than not that "mob" gets it completely right.

Specifically, "in cases framed like these". What that means is in cases where a minority has claimed there to be racist intent, it is still my assertion that more often than not the general public (some would frame that as a "mob" for their own reasons) gets it right, and that it is indeed a good thing for minorities who have little other viable courses of redress to have these people exposed.

Yes, that means sometimes like in this instance, people get it wrong. However, that doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater and decry the practice entirely as it still serves an overall net positive in these types of situations.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What is the punishment for being a racist in America? Does a PoC have the ability to walk into a police station and say "X person is a racist, please arrest them"? No. Minorities have suffered under racism since the inception of this country with no legal recourse. Now, they have the ability due to our technology to make the world aware of these people, because nobody else is going to do it for them.

Tell me the viable recourse minorities have against racists and why overall making racists public and accountable is a bad thing.
If this isn't the infamous bad faith posting then I don't know what is

I said it right here, actually, a whole 2 days ago:

I personally believe she should get her job back after being re-trained, I don't think it serves anyone for her to not be there but I can't fault Chipotle for letting her go for the reasons she did.

Here is a link: https://www.resetera.com/posts/15127357/

So please, tell me exactly how it's "bad faith" by holding the exact same position I held days ago.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, no, again you are (probably willfully at this point to suit whatever narrative you have concocted) misrepresenting my words. I specified two distinct people that were discussed in the talk - not all of them. Please stick to what was actually said and do not misrepresent my words.

I am verbatim quoting what you said about the people who were the example subjects of the talk. That you have "no minutes" for them.
A talk about how the psychological scarring they suffered via a twitter mob far exceeds anything any legal system could ever inflict, and of vastly disproportionate response to their perceived crimes.

You have further declared you are fine with a completely innocent person being harassed as collateral damage for your perceived 'greater good'.

You can clarify that stance, or you can back pedal from it, but I am not "concocting a narrative".

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I am verbatim quoting what you said about the people who were the example subjects of the talk. That you have "no minutes" for them.
A talk about how the psychological scarring they suffered via a twitter mob far exceeds anything any legal system could ever inflict, and of vastly disproportionate response to their perceived crimes.
Jonah Lehrer being a serial plagiarist and liar who could barely eek out a solid apology is not perceived, it is well documented. Justine Sacco's racist tweet was not perceived, it actually happened. I'm not a plagiarist and liar, and I don't post racist tweets so I guess I will never understand their specific plight.
You have further declared you are fine with a completely innocent person being harassed as collateral damage for your perceived 'greater good'.
It's not a perceived greater good, racists being exposed is a greater good and is worthwhile. If your perception on that differs, I believe that is unfortunate but leaves little else to be discussed between us if we are that far apart on the matter.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is the punishment for being a racist in America? Does a PoC have the ability to walk into a police station and say "X person is a racist, please arrest them"? No. Minorities have suffered under racism since the inception of this country with no legal recourse. Now, they have the ability due to our technology to make the world aware of these people, because nobody else is going to do it for them.

None of that has anything to do with the fact that you think it's okay to publicly ruin someone's life over a perceived action by using the internet as a mob to enact vengeance. That's why I said it's shit.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
How do you dine and dash at Chipotle though, you have to pay at the register before hand...or did they just grab the food and run?

These guys are fucking idiots though....ah man, now people will use these jokers to push some nutty conservative agenda. Fuck these guys. God damn it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
None of that has anything to do with the fact that you think it's okay to publicly ruin someone's life over a perceived action by using the internet as a mob to enact vengeance. That's why I said it's shit.
It has plenty to do with it in the context of this conversation because I said that for a reason and offered a specific purpose. You cannot divorce the good from the bad and focus solely on the bad as that is not anywhere near an objective look at the circumstances I was discussing, it just means you don't like "mob justice" under any circumstances, even when it is a net benefit for minorities, which is why I mentioned that. You've just discounted the context of my comment entirely in order to say you're just against something, which is fine of course, but if we're talking facts you also have to recognize you're vehemently against something that has had a positive effect for a lot of people, people who are historically and currently under-served in our country.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a huge difference between reporting being shit and someone being or not being racist.

In fact I think that some sort of racism did play a role here (would the reaction be the same if middle aged old guy was joking?). BUT it's almost impossible to know that. It's just one of those things that we need to be aware of.
You're still calling the manager racist?

How do you dine and dash at Chipotle though, you have to pay at the register before hand...or did they just grab the food and run?

These guys are fucking idiots though....ah man, now people will use these jokers to push some nutty conservative agenda. Fuck these guys. God damn it.
If you order food and don't have money, it's Chipotle's policy to just give you a freebie and not shake you down for the food at least the first time. If you go unnoticed you can get several free meals by abusing this, which they admitted to and did this at multiple locations.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It has plenty to do with it in the context of this conversation because I said that for a reason and offered a specific purpose. You cannot divorce the good from the bad and focus solely on the bad as that is not anywhere near an objective look at the circumstances I was discussing, it just means you don't like "mob justice" under any circumstances, even when it is a net benefit for minorities, which is why I mentioned that. You've just discounted the context of my comment entirely in order to say you're just against something, which is fine of course, but if we're talking facts you also have to recognize you're vehemently against something that has had a positive effect for a lot of people, people who are historically and currently under-served in our country.

In other words "the end justifies the means" even if innocent people get ruined?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
In other words "the end justifies the means" even if innocent people get ruined?
Speaking in the specific context (of exposing racists) that I was (that I have to keep mentioning for some reason), If one person has been falsely identified as a racist and a ton more comparatively have been correctly identified as one, yes. However, I would not say this girl was "ruined" by any stretch of the imagination either- the idiots who may have been just looking for free food and were cool with robbing people look like the bad guys here. She made some money on GoFundMe, and she has her job back with an apology from Chipotle. I don't know what you classify as "ruined" but I don't think that's necessarily it.
I think I've heard that rationale used somewhere before, I just can't place it...
Please elaborate.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Speaking in the specific context (of exposing racists) that I was (that I have to keep mentioning for some reason), If one person has been falsely identified as a racist and a ton more comparatively have been correctly identified as one, yes. However, I would not say this girl was "ruined" by any stretch of the imagination either- the idiots who may have been just looking for free food and were cool with robbing people look like the bad guys here. She made some money on GoFundMe, and she has her job back with an apology from Chipotle. I don't know what you classify as "ruined" but I don't think that's necessarily it.

Please elaborate.

In this instance all turned out well but as you state maybe on average more good than bad comes from mob justice but in the inverse, every innocent victim of mob justice doesn't make out as well as this example.

Also this person should never have been put through this.

Facts before action, otherwise it's just blind and can be indiscriminate.

Oct 27, 2017
In this instance all turned out well but as you state maybe on average more good than bad comes from mob justice but in the inverse, every innocent victim of mob justice doesn't make out as well as this example.

Also this person should never have been put through this.

Facts before action, otherwise it's just blind and can be indiscriminate.
I think on the bolded it's also worth noting that even though we have ample evidence suggesting her actions were the result of her knowing and having a history with the makers of the video, there are still people in the thread post-video questioning her integrity and implying her actions may have been influenced by racial prejudice; even when there's a high degree of likelihood of 'innocence' people still question whether you're 'truly' innocent and give power to slanderous claims. That's the sort of damage which is a lot more potent long-term than the immediate loss of the job (obviously she's gotten that back if accepted at this stage).

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
They officially offered her her job for real this time. She's also suing - from her GoFundMe:

The money donated will also be used to cover attorney/ council fees.
Myself and any of Dom's friends and loved ones know that she loved her job, loves people and did not deserve the unfortunate chain of events that occurred this week. I don't feel she deserves to be without pay for protecting her team and I want to fight for her. Hopefully this gofundme can support her through the holidays. Thank you for all the help.

Probably going for defamation. It's blatantly obvious it was never about policy, they (Chipotle, the press, the thieves) were painting her as a racist. She'll probably win, especially since Chipotle walked back their reasoning then admitted they were wrong.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That answer will vary from individual to individual of what they find acceptable or not, just to make it clear it's entirely subjective.
Of course. That's why I asked that person for their opinion.
I'd love to know your opinion, as well.

You don't get an answer to that question until you come up with flawless methods and tools with which people of color in America can seek racial justice. Sorry.
Ok, buddy.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Of course. That's why I asked that person for their opinion.
I'd love to know your opinion, as well.
I can't really put a number on it or anything, I guess it's just "I know it when I see it" in the sense that if I saw the majority of people that were being as exposed as racists actually not be racists, I would consider it a big problem worthy of derision.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't get an answer to that question until you come up with flawless methods and tools with which people of color in America can seek racial justice. Sorry.

What, like the flawless methods and tools of one persons selective video posted up on twitter?
Its fine to harrass a totally innocent person until someone comes up with an exemplary foolproof method with zero margin for error in the meantime?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but can you actually answer the question?
Dr. Wily has a good answer
I can't really put a number on it or anything, I guess it's just "I know it when I see it" in the sense that if I saw the majority of people that were being as exposed as racists actually not be racists, I would consider it a big problem worthy of derision.
So, 49.9% is your number of acceptable collateral damage.
Yikes

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
What a strange policy.
The idea is that you garner good will by not shaking down and embarrassing customers . Plus the food is already made.

Regarding call out culture. I do think it's important to document and call out racists. I just think we should be quicker to correct outselves when it's clear ou initial assumptions were wrong. Like its been how many days since the dine and dash tweets came out and some dude on this page is still concinced the manager is a racist. And several mods and posters had zero sympathy for the manager after the video got her fired despite her telling the truth about them failing to pay previously.

Like document and call out racism and racists when you see it, but have the basic decency to at least apologize, admit you were wrong and give half a shit about someone who got demonized, libeled, attacked, fired and didn't deserve it. My big issue is how many people in this thread couldn't even do that. You guys need to do better.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I was responding to his use of "until a majority". I never said what you seem to be implying. Again, how many innocent people getting dragged by the mob are acceptable to get the results he linked to above? It's a simple question that neither of you can answer, apparently.
Well, I posted 11 stories, and then there's this one, so that would come out to about 9% (I am missing a ton though admittedly), so hey I'll gladly say I'm fine with 9% if you're so concerned with having a definitive answer.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Here's one.
I guess bullying a 14 year old girl off of a platform is justified to you.
You're trying really hard to frame things a certain way, I'll give you that, however there is a difference between thinking a situation in isolation is justified and thinking a pattern of behavior shouldn't be discounted due to the few times things go wrong,

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...keep-calling-the-cops-on-black-people-699512/

Identifying as the victim allows the women in these scenarios to maintain both innocence and ignorance. Luckily, modern technology has revealed the insidiousness of this form of racism as well as the perpetrators' consistent failure to grasp the severity of their behavior. With the assistance of camera phones, the public is forced to have a discussion about this perilous kind of supervision and what can be done about it. Brando Simeo Starkey of The Undefeated argued that shaming white people for calling the police on black people can actually be beneficial as a means to stop their harassment. On The View, Whoopi Goldberg said, "What's brilliant is that a lot of people are saying, 'This does not make sense to me. So, it's [the videos] trending in a better way."

It's not just about a person of color feeling misjudged in a fleeting moment – these events have residual effects over time. Suicides among black children have risen 71 percent within the last decade. Although researchers do not unanimously agree on the causes, some suggest that those affected by racism, as well as poverty, are put at a greater risk. According to a study conducted by University of Minnesota researchers, when black children are aware of racism, they become less connected to their communities and less academically invested because of the disillusionment of their places in society. When black people are pushed out of neighborhoods due to redlining and gentrification, displacement trauma follows. The space is no longer theirs.

Thank God racists are being exposed and held accountable.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're trying really hard to frame things a certain way, I'll give you that, however there is a difference between thinking a situation in isolation is justified and thinking a pattern of behavior shouldn't be discounted due to the few times things go wrong,

I'm trying to "frame" that mob behaviours are some of the most disgusting depths humanity can sink to, and that there is no such thing as 'justified' collateral damage.
Protecting the innocent is vastly more important than punishing the guilty. In every scenario.

Your first thoughts about reading what happened to Millie bobby Brown should be "Thats disgusting. That should have never happened to her. That should never happen to anyone".

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you."

Oct 27, 2017
You framed it yourself; you've said just a few posts above that you would find a situation where for every one hundred correct assessments of a situation where a 'guilty' party is caught in mob justice it's acceptable for nine of those people to have been innocent. I don't think much more framing is needed to think that's a pretty horrible mindset.

For reference, it is estimated between 2 and 10% of prisoners (in the United States) are innocent, and although there's quite a difference in being locked up in prison and tarred in public/potentially losing a job and having difficulties with employment in the future, I find it very difficult to accept that many people would find the same logic remotely acceptable or justifiable (to purposely exaggerate, a statement of "it's only 10%, you don't want murders, rapists, thieves, and more on the streets do you?" would rightly be shot down as disingenuous, and that same attitude is used to blatantly oppress minorities who are disproportionately affected). If you think justice should operate on the principal of minimising the risk of innocent people being falsely prosecuted even if it means guilty parties not facing consequences it should be clear why the logic you're proposing may not sit well with people and doesn't need any additional framing when there are quite a number of comparisons available to suggest that may be a bad idea.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Protecting the innocent is vastly more important than punishing the guilty. In every scenario.
All those PoC in those stories I linked were innocent and were harassed, I guess they don't matter as much though. All the minorities who have done nothing but exist in this country and are innocent yet are still victims of our shitty people and culture are innocent but you aren't worried about protecting them I guess.
For reference, it is estimated between 2 and 10% of prisoners (in the United States) are innocent, and although there's quite a difference in being locked up in prison and tarred in public/potentially losing a job and having difficulties with employment in the future, I find it very difficult to accept that many people would find the same logic remotely acceptable or justifiable (to purposely exaggerate, a statement of "it's only 10%, you don't want murders, rapists, thieves, and more on the streets do you?" would rightly be shot down as disingenuous, and that same attitude is used to blatantly oppress minorities who are disproportionately affected).
We're not talking about prison. For all you know, I have an entirely different take on that with it being an entirely different scenario and all.