• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Imagine if Silver in Destiny or V-Bucks in Fortnite expired after five months.

This is on top of being a nearly full price game ($50) with a $10 season pass that lasts two months and numerous other microtransactions that require that premium currency (costumes, music, $2 tickets that give you a single level in the grindy season pass).

Oh, and you can buy stickers to put on your vehicle to speed up the leveling on the season pass but it's still incredibly slow.

Yes, that means that you can spend $81.99 on in-game currency today and if you don't spent it within five months, it is taken away from you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Why isn't this game free to play? It sure looks and sounds like one judging from those screen shots

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
there's also the issue that the premium currency can only be bought in round numbers by the thousands and the "login bonus" is 850 and the base battle pass is 800 so you got that 50 left over so you gotta grind in-game missions to round that up and the lowest priced thing in the premium currency store is a single music track that costs 200 and oh boy i've gone cross-eyed

again, this is on top of a 50 USD game with a slow-ass battle pass that features characters that will go away if you don't buy them within the season

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
In game currencies must legally have expiration dates in Japan (even Apex etc. have it) as far as I remember, so maybe they just didn't bother to remove the restriction for other regions.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A reminder:

Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled launched for $40, had an obscene amount more content than Chocobo GP and its battle passes were free.

They did add in-game currency after the game was out for a bit (which I agree sucks and I took issue with) but with the pass itself always being free and leveling up not being a huge grind, it was completely optional.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Disgusting.

I actually didn't realize it was a full price game, too...all the passes and microtransactions made it sounds like it was free to play.

The entire game is a shitshow.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
What the fuck are they thinking with this?

"What if we got everything from mobile games, made it worse, and charge full price for it?"

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
A reminder:

Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled launched for $40, had an obscene amount more content than Chocobo GP and its battle passes were free.

They did add in-game currency after the game was out for a bit (which I agree sucks and I took issue with) but with the pass itself always being free and leveling up not being a huge grind, it was completely optional.
also it was fun as fuck

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
So you pay for the game. Then, pay por the battle pass. Then, grind the battle pass. It also doesn't give in return any premium currency so the next battle pass has to be fully payed too. Oh, and the premium currency expires in a few months.

This is some new level of greed.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
A reminder:

The currency was there from the start. They just didn't add the way to buy it until a month or so after launch. Though they did later add ways to make it easier to get like an hour boost per day on online races, chasing golden wumpa fruits midrace, or 2x coins on weekends.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
This is the second (recent) Square-Enix game that has an initial buy-in price and then proceeds to treat the game like it's some F2P mobile title in hopes of siphoning more money out of players. 🤔

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointing. Seems like it's basically a f2p mobile game that they decided to put on Switch instead at the last minute.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
I should also note that on top of that, the game itself is quite average. It comes nowhere close to Mario Kart 8 or CTR, both of which have far more content and much better gameplay.

played the lite version for a little bit and i definitely agree with your assessment that it's average; i guess that takes some of the sting out of it.

still.. i really like final fantasy, i like the characters, i like the music, etc. i was down for an average FF kart racer. might've even imported a physical copy. but with all this gaas business? nah. it's already deleted from my switch.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
wonder if its a disincentive? maybe to not get people to buy so much at a time or sommit? dunno
Yeah I just did a quick search of people pissed about it for other games. So I wonder if this is a fuck up because there isn't a region restriction on switch so they just said F it with the MTX, but it's super weird. It should only happen in Japanese regions.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
played the lite version for a little bit and i definitely agree with your assessment that it's average; i guess that takes some of the sting out of it.

still.. i really like final fantasy, i like the characters, i like the music, etc. i was down for an average FF kart racer. might've even imported a physical copy. but with all this gaas business? nah. it's already deleted from my switch.

I would actually be down go drop $10 on this battle pass and grind through it if it were F2P. I wouldn't expect MK8 or CTR quality from a F2P game, I would just play for Final Fantasy stuff.

I'm certainly not spending fucking $50 on it.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
couldnt this in game currency be considered a type of gift card? i know some states make it illegal for that kind of stuff to expire.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's an easy skip lol. It'd be one thing if it was f2p but jeez.

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
Well if you're stupid enough to spend the money in the first place you're going to use there and then aren't you?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is a Japan regulatory thing. Most games with virtual currency have this restriction in Japan but usually don't mirror it elsewhere.

It's not a law to have an expiry date on VC in Japan. But they have other currency laws and regulations around VC that companies can avoid if they set an expiry date of less than six months on VC and state that when it's purchased.

I couldn't tell you what the regulations are that they're trying to avoid but I can only assume that they must be severe if this is the preference.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the game is just a microtransaction platform with a game tacked on instantly ensured that I'm not getting this anymore.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Getting some Final Fantasy All The Bravest vibes here.

Like if youre gonna stuff microtransactions in pretty much everything, just make the game free-to-play man

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I was really looking forward to a sequel to Chocobo Racing after the 3DS installment was cancelled, but the MTX and battle pass setup entirely killed my interest in picking up the full game. Had a bit of fun online with the Lite Version yesterday, but this isn't worth the 70 dollarydoos they're charging over here.

At least the Mario Kart DLC rollout starts next week. SE should do us a favor and just ask Nintendo to put Chocobo in that.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I was really looking forward to a sequel to Chocobo Racing after the 3DS installment was cancelled, but the MTX and battle pass setup entirely killed my interest in picking up the full game. Had a bit of fun online with the Lite Version yesterday, but this isn't worth the 70 dollarydoos they're charging over here.

At least the Mario Kart DLC rollout starts next week. SE should do us a favor and just ask Nintendo to put Chocobo in that.

Yeah, I'm sad because I wanted this forever but this is Chocobo Racing in a modern Square world I suppose.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
IT EXPIRES!? HOLY SHIT!

I saw this tweet earlier:

Can't believe this is a nearly full price game.

Yeah, I ain't touching this mobile/mmo-lookin' UI with a ten foot pole. I'm not even interested in trying the Lite version anymore. I should have seen this coming when they called the trial the "Lite" version.

CrewShadow

Feb 5, 2018
Is it just the 850 that they gave out when you started up the game? Or is it even when you purchase the currency? If its just the free 850 they gave out I can see them saying it expires because its like a promo. Xbox does that when you win gift cards from them.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just the 850 that they gave out when you started up the game? Or is it even when you purchase the currency? If its just the free 850 they gave out I can see them saying it expires because its like a promo. Xbox does that when you win gift cards from them.
Yup, you're right. I bought 1600 mythril (for a total of 2450, including the 850 that the game gives you to start with) and spent 2400 on the season pass, leaving me with 50 leftover. When I go to the Mythril Breakdown though, it shows I have 0 Mythril, and doesn't show that anything is going to expire. The menu seems to only be for free Mythil. I'll add a screenshot in a moment for proof.

The fact that the free stuff expires sucks, but isn't anywhere near as bad as paid stuff expiring. This thread may need a lock.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This is a Japan regulatory thing. Most games with virtual currency have this restriction in Japan but usually don't mirror it elsewhere.

It's not a law to have an expiry date on VC in Japan. But they have other currency laws and regulations around VC that companies can avoid if they set an expiry date of less than six months on VC and state that when it's purchased.

I couldn't tell you what the regulations are that they're trying to avoid but I can only assume that they must be severe if this is the preference.

I could see this as SE dodging the government or CERO labeling it as gambling if the funbucks don't expire and that area is waaaaaaay more restrictive and convoluted.

Status
Not open for further replies.