Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
avellone is getting paid a seven figure sum or did i understand the text wrong?

Aye, he's getting the pay out for this case. Dismissed with Prejudice, meaning those two claims against him can't be refiled.

As others have mentioned, there's more claims against him so this doesn't absolve him of everything.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
avellone is getting paid a seven figure sum or did i understand the text wrong?
You can't get paid with what isn't there. Those ladies don't have 7 figures between them. He'll get partial pay if they have some kind of insurance but will likely just see small checks garnished from their paychecks for years to come.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty wild settlement in favor of Avellone, the hell kind of evidence did he have on his side?

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
You can't get paid with what isn't there. Those ladies don't have 7 figures between them. He'll get partial pay if they have some kind of insurance but will likely just see small checks garnished from their paychecks for years to come.
It's a statement though. You do not just award 7 figure damages in a he said she said scenario.

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
So I dont know the specifics of the settlement but a possible series of events - if the anti-SLAPP appeal was successful, the plaintiff gets to immediately appeal that decision.

I'm wondering if defendants just ran out of money to be able to challenge another round and basically had to settle here.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
So I dont know the specifics of the settlement but a possible series of events - if the anti-SLAPP appeal was successful, the plaintiff gets to immediately appeal that decision.

I'm wondering if defendants just ran out of money to be able to challenge another round and basically had to settle here.
Oh was this a civil case? Haven't been following the details.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It may not necessarily mean he never did anything wrong in general, but that those specific claims were either untrue and opportunistic or so debatable and hard to prove that they didn't hold up in court. Can't comment on any other accusations.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damage is already done anyway
Yeah... obviously I have no idea if Chris is actually innocent or not. But imagining that he is, his reputation will never recover, he'll always have these accusations attached to him of the rest of his life. So a sizable settlement would be warranted IMO. If he's innocent, which again I have zero clue one way or the other.

May 14, 2021
Even if he isn't completely innocent, these false claims will taint every other one. If he is actually innocent, good for him.

Nov 19, 2019
The weight some of y'all put on this fucked up legal system.
I agree with you on one hand, and love your takes generally, but on the other I feel like your post is evincing what is suggested by other posters: nothing will clear this dude's name.

Not retractions, not dismissals with prejudice, not a million dollar settlement in his favor.

I think the legal system is fucked for case like this, but this result seems unusually forceful and comprehensive. That's hard to disregard for me personally.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The weight some of y'all put on this fucked up legal system.
I don't really see anyone assuming that he's absolutely innocent, but the outcome suggests he had compelling evidence and we're wondering what that could have been.

False reports of assault are very rare but they do happen (around 5% of the time), so if the scenario makes it as far as the defendant receiving a settlement then you have to consider if it's possibly one of those times. In the end though none of us will ever know.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Interesting that this and the Roiland one came out around the same time. I wonder if either of their reputations recover.

Granted, I guess in both cases there were other accusations *not* in court?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Well we'll never know all the details anyway it seems, huh. It's all settled and now we are left to draw our own conclusions.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Being dismissed "with prejudice" means he must have had some VERY compelling evidence, damn.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Back in 2021 Avellone detailed a lot of stuff on his medium blog, including evidence that was submitted

chrisavellone.medium.com

It’s Come To This

Since “updates” can usually get lost in the noise, the most recent updates are put first.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well we'll never know all the details anyway it seems, huh. It's all settled and now we are left to draw our own conclusions.
Yeah these things are so damaging to all the people involved and to progress s a whole. He'll always be Chris "May or may not have committed sexual assault" Avellone, and the only people who are really going to embrace him are going to be the shitheads who love to amplify every time there's a false accusation as if that delegitimizes all other accusations.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I hate cases like this because there's only three things that happened, and they're all terrible.

Either

1) An innocent man is always going to be tarnished, plus genuine victims are always going to have to deal with "is this just another Avellone case?"

or​

2) A guilty man is getting a shitload of cash, and his victims no justice

or​

3) A man guilty of other crimes, but innocent of this one, is basically getting 2) whilst his victims have to deal with the whispers from 1).

Literally nobody wins.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on him winning it. Truth should prevail, like with Johnny Depps case.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
A other example of why trials aren't played out on Twitter , so what happens to the people who dragged him through all this...? Are they loosing their jobs and careers? Certainly hope so.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Really shitty if the accusations were false, very unexpected outcome
Interesting that this and the Roiland one came out around the same time. I wonder if either of their reputations recover.

Granted, I guess in both cases there were other accusations *not* in court?
As things currently stand the two cases seem quite different. Roiland's was dismissed because the alleged victim didn't have the evidence to prove her claims Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. This is a reeeaally high bar for abuse victims to clear given the typically private nature of these crimes, which is a big reason the legal system doesn't tend to be suitable for these kinds of cases. Like the court could end up 80% sure of Roiland's guilt and it still wouldn't be enough to secure a conviction.

Combine that with the weirdo DMs going around between him and his underage fans…. He's gonna need a LOT more than he's currently got to clear his name

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Back in 2021 Avellone detailed a lot of stuff on his medium blog, including evidence that was submitted

chrisavellone.medium.com

It’s Come To This

Since “updates” can usually get lost in the noise, the most recent updates are put first.

If reading that is true, her own witness basically said her story was bullshit.

A libel suit is quite a bit harder to get and win. So he likely had some pretty damning evidence.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
So this means the accusations were lies originally? Says it was dismissed with prejudice as well meaning evidence was likely overwhelmingly against the accuser.

Not sure how to feel about this. This ain't the first time we're seeing this across the entertainment industry. Happens far too often too (Johnny Depp).

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Hate when shit like this happens. Abusing a good movement in metoo to cause potentially irreversible harm to innocent men.

Atarax

Mar 12, 2018
Yeah... obviously I have no idea if Chris is actually innocent or not. But imagining that he is, his reputation will never recover, he'll always have these accusations attached to him of the rest of his life. So a sizable settlement would be warranted IMO. If he's innocent, which again I have zero clue one way or the other.
This

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Greg Doucette seems to be pretty skeptical about the payout claim. That said he's been butting heads with Avellone supporters in the same way he has with the Mignogna fans, so who knows?

View: https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1639596002742001666

View: https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1639619350595354625

A quick search shows Chris filed a different lawsuit, separate from the one this guy is referring to (and seemingly couldn't be bothered to look up before trying to dunk on people)

www.courtlistener.com

Avellone v. Barrows, 3:22-cv-02247 - CourtListener.com

Docket for Avellone v. Barrows, 3:22-cv-02247 — Brought to you by Free Law Project, a non-profit dedicated to creating high quality open legal information.

A quick glance through it shows it went to mediation.

Status
Not open for further replies.