• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
A Conservative minister left the BBC Question Time audience aghast after he asked if Rwanda and Congo were different countries.

When asked how the government's Rwanda Bill would apply to refugees and asylum seekers from neighbouring countries in central Africa, Chris Philp, the policing minister, demonstrated a surprising lack of knowledge of African geography.

Wes Streeting, the shadow health and social care secretary, was left flummoxed by his comments.

The repeated gaffes made on the BBC politics show, which was broadcast live from Tottenham, came after an audience member asked whether refugees fleeing conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo would be sent to Rwanda amid ongoing conflicts between the two nations.

He said: "Right now, in Goma, there is a genocide going on, and there's such a big conflict going on with people from Rwanda.

"So, had my family members come from Goma on a crossing right now, would they then be sent back to the country that they're supposedly at warring, Rwanda? Does that make any sense to you?"

In response, Philp said: "I think there's an exclusion on people from Rwanda being sent to Rwanda

Both the audience member and the Question Time host, Fiona Bruce, interrupted, correcting the minister by telling him that they were Congolese, not Rwandan.

The audience member repeated his question, asking: "Are they then going to be sent to Rwanda if they came here on a crossing?"

Philp replied: "From Congo?"

As the audience shook their heads and laughed, Philp said: "Would people be sent from … well … Rwanda is a different country from Congo, isn't it?"

The Democratic Republic of the Congo–Rwanda war began in March 2022.

Philp later clarified that there is a safety clause built into the legislation.

www.thetimes.co.uk

Chris Philp: ‘Are Rwanda and Congo different countries?’

The Conservative policing minister has been mocked for his gaffe on BBC’s Question Time

View: https://twitter.com/stuzi_pants/status/1783728400491839505/video/1

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Tory in 'ignorant of the basic reality of the world but ploughing on with a counter productive, enormously expensive, unethical and performative bit of cruelty because it plays well with a minority of British voters who are awful but happen to live in the right seats in the right numbers oh and dressing it up as common sense' shocker.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Philp has been known to be an absolute tool of the very lowest order for a while.

This is the cherry on top.

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
Only the best and brightest for the Conservative party. Good reminder though that the cruelty is the point, the people in charge don't even know where Rwanda is.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Should point out that Chris Philp isn't some random backbencher, he's our policing minister, so presumably would get some actual say and input on who gets sent to Rwanda.

He's also so thick he can't spell his surname right, and the rest of us just have to deal with that.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was he just choosing not to listen? In setting up the question, the guy clearly mentions neighbouring country

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
GMCmjDaWEAEbL9z.jpg

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
The ignorance when it comes to Africa is well ingrained into western countries. You'll more often see Africa being referred to as if it's a country rather than a continent.

Almost the same thing with Asia and how when someone says Asia they usually mean south east and east Asia.

Basically, plenty of geographical ignorance among white people.

Last edited:

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
The ignorance when it comes to Africa is well ingrained into western countries. You'll more often see Africa being referred to as if it's a country rather than a continent.
I'm expecting europeans to be a bit more knowledgeable about african countries just on account of Europe having fucked with those countries across our history.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting europeans to be a bit more knowledgeable about african countries just on account of Europe having fucked with those countries across our history.
You'd think so. But it's not like that has been taught properly in schools. European countries tried to sweep that under the rug for decades.

For example, with Sweden I was not taught about the horrific things we did to the Sami people here. And that's within the country!

Not to mention what Sweden did during the 17th and 18th century regarding slaves.

Oct 29, 2017
I've seen the clip a few times and I have to be wholly honest it doesn't seem like a genuine question. It seems like he basically ignored everything the young man said, got confused, and then the 'question' was rhetorical to specify the point.

I mean, Tories are broadly speaking absolute fucking idiots, but I'm not seeing this clip how most people are.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

Almost the same thing with Asia and how when someone says Asia they usually mean south east and east Asia.

I think most white people in Europe at the very least will know the difference between African countries, we may not be able to name all of them from our heads but we do get taught a lot about world geography at least in the UK. I think this is a problem for Americans because from what I understand most of geography is learning about all the different states in the US rather than learning about the world. That's why there's Americans who think London is a country or don't know the different European countries even, let alone Africa.

I've met a lot of Europeans over my lifetime and I don't think I've ever seen people refer to Africa as a country outside of them saying South Africa which is one.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
You'd think so. But it's not like that has been taught properly in schools. European countries tried to sweep that under the rug for decades.

For example, with Sweden I was not taught about the horrific things we did to the Sami people here. And that's within the country!
Yeah, sure, I'm not saying the bar is high. But I'm expecting people to know Rwanda and Congo are different countries.

And we're talking about someone IN the british governement here.

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen the clip a few times and I have to be wholly honest it doesn't seem like a genuine question. It seems like he basically ignored everything the young man said, got confused, and then the 'question' was rhetorical to specify the point.

I mean, Tories are broadly speaking absolute fucking idiots, but I'm not seeing this clip how most people are.
I think you can see it that way and still see it as idiotic. You are a politician on question time and you word a question like that then it's going to be called out, rhetorical or not. Personally, the more damning part, as you say, is the first part where he does quite clearly misses up refugees from Rwanda and the Congo.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

Yeah, doesn't sound like he's being thick, sounds more like he's just being a condescending twat.

I took as he's not really saying "Congo and Rwanda are two different countries, aren't they?"
What I took it to mean is: "Congo and Rwanda are two different countries. Which answers your question."

Which was because even he knew the optics of saying "Yes we'll ship people from countries that Rwanda doesn't like to Rwanda" out loud sounds horrendous.
The original mix up still makes him look like a thick fucking bell-end though.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They can just pass a bill saying that Congo is the same country as Rwanda.

And another bill saying that there's no problems with the Rwanda policy.

shox

Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievable that a significant portion of our country will still vote for these clowns.

I can't even laugh anymore; it's just depressing.

Mar 17, 2024

Spot-on. It would turn their worldview upside down if they saw and understood the richness, the vast diversity of people and cultures all over the world.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the least they could do is keep up with the geography of the continent they've fucked so much.

(Watch as someone rightfully asks "which continent")

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I've met a lot of Europeans over my lifetime and I don't think I've ever seen people refer to Africa as a country outside of them saying South Africa which is one.
Yeah, I think this is a garden variety instance of a politician being less-informed than the average person. I don't think I've ever met anyone in the UK or Europe who couldn't name at least five different African countries.

A lot of people won't know the difference between the two Congos, but I don't think it's accurate to say that most British / European people treat Africa as a single country.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the least they could do is keep up with the geography of the continent they've fucked so much.

(Watch as someone rightfully asks "which continent")
Bro, I'm a french dude with parents who immigrated from Portugal >_>

And I'm not saying europeans should have some knowledge out of guilt or some shit. Just following the news a bit will get you some knowledge from the neocolanialist shit still going on is what I'm getting at.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I wasn't taught about the Congo at school, or Kenya, etc. but I did learn enough to fucking open a map and a few history books and do it myself - and that's the case for many more people than this Tory prick represents as an MP, I warrant.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, doesn't sound like he's being thick, sounds more like he's just being a condescending twat.

I took as he's not really saying "Congo and Rwanda are two different countries, aren't they?"
What I took it to mean is: "Congo and Rwanda are two different countries. Which answers your question."

Which was because even he knew the optics of saying "Yes we'll ship people from countries that Rwanda doesn't like to Rwanda" out loud sounds horrendous.
The original mix up still makes him look like a thick fucking bell-end though.

Yeah, this makes more sense to me

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Really does expose quite succinctly how ill thought out this policy is. For such an enormous amount of money invested, I just can't see the logic. Maybe the photoshoot the day the first plane leaves will make some Tories cheer, but I will be looking at it with disgust.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
That's fine. I too often forget that England is it's own country and not just the dying half of the cancer cell that mitosised into America.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
this might be the single greatest reaction image i've seen
This really needs to be a new meme template.

And on topic do these fuckers not feel any kind of shame? Even embarrassment? Honestly I wish I had that kind of skill to even a mild degree, if I ever entered politics and was told part of my recorded history will have me saying the phrase "I was ambushed by cake." I'd honestly go to cultivate plants or something instead.