• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Huh this thread is curious, people trying to expose someone as being a bigot while inadvertently outing yourself as one.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
You can believe in God and be a good person. It just so happens the most staunch believers in the United States voted for a fucking serial sexual assaulter and liar at an 81% clip. And are the things that you are not (homophobes, transphobes, etc).
While that is accurate, there are enough of the other 19% here on this forum that making that kind of automatic generalization is hurtful.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Who really cares? it doesn't affect mine or anyones else's lives.... so its gets a big *shrug*... but hope this one at least lasts a while, I guess

some of you guys need this:

ballchl_1.jpg

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
2nd marriages have a divorce rate of over 50% with 75% of third marriages divorcing. This does not bode well for them or any 2nd marriage to be honest.

Moral of the story: Stick with your first marriage. at only a 30% failure rate, they are your best chance of a long marriage.
Stick with your failed marriage because the second one has a higher chance of failing?

jVd7FR9.gif

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While that is accurate, there are enough of the other 19% here on this forum that making that kind of automatic generalization is hurtful.

I look at it like people who assume a white dude was responsible for a mass shooting before we get the reporting, you're more than likely to be right. As a white dude I know I'm not like that, as a God fearing person you know you're not like that. Neither one of us is part of those groups.

Celebrity worship is weird anyway. Pretty sure Pratt was a normal dude who made it big on his humor, delivery and overall effective way of displaying sincerity. I'm sure he worked hard. But he isn't Star Lord. If people want real heroes we should look to the scientists, the counselors, the teachers, the single moms who work two jobs to support their kids, etc. For whatever reason, our society doesn't do that.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this thread turned into some weird territory, and that 81% number getting thrown around is just misleading as that was the % of Evangelical Christians that voted for Trump, which only represents like a third of those identifying as Christian in America so it's really fucked up to just lump all Christians in there

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Several people mentioned that Pratt said blue lives matter? I googled it and am
Finding nothing?

So to recap why people hate chris pratt

Bluelivesmatter: he's said there are good cops out there, and he appreciates them (also note his brother is a LEO)

He follows Candace Owen on Twitter: apparently he no longer follows her

He hunts: that's true, he does hunt

He prays: he prayed for Kevin smith and got some outrage.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I look at it like people who assume a white dude was responsible for a mass shooting before we get the reporting, you're more than likely to be right. As a white dude I know I'm not like that, as a God fearing person you know you're not like that. Neither one of us is part of those groups.
In the end, though, what you have are people asking others to refrain from incorrectly lumping together, labeling, and insulting their group of people. I think the right reaction to that would be to refrain. It helps make this a better community in general.

Also, it sounds like the 81% figure is just the % of "Evangelical Christians" in the US that voted for Trump, and that they're just a third of those identifying as Christian in the US:
Damn this thread turned into some weird territory, and that 81% number getting thrown around is just misleading as that was the % of Evangelical Christians that voted for Trump, which only represents like a third of those identifying as Christian in America so it's really fucked up to just lump all Christians in there

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
He still follows Candace Owens despite people claiming otherwise in this thread, and a bunch of other jackasses; Colin Moriarty, some other questionable "Patriot" accounts, etc.

Do with that info what you will, I personally don't really care.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
75% of all adults in the US identify as Christian, so any suggestion that 81% of them voted for Trump is not born out by the data.

Source:https://news.gallup.com/poll/187955/percentage-christians-drifting-down-high.aspx

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
is this thread after the most embarassing thread of the year early nomination currently held by The Rock's thread?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mentioned that when I originally spouted the number. I'm not lumping all Christians that way. Although I have to say, growing up Catholic, the idea that I'm being unfair by castigating organized Christians when I grew up in a community where Catholics hid child molestation, is infuriating. But right, it's not all Catholics there either. My point is, it ain't just evangelicals that are harmful. It ain't just Christians. It ain't just Muslims. It ain't just Buddhists. Organized religion is responsible for millions if not billions of deaths in the history of mankind. I'm sorry people feel unfairly targeted or uncomfortable.

75% of all adults in the US identify as Christian, so any suggestion that 81% of them voted for Trump is not born out by the data.

Source:https://news.gallup.com/poll/187955/percentage-christians-drifting-down-high.aspx

Again that wasn't my suggestion although your conclusion isn't necessarily true unless 75% of all voting adults identify as Christian.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most Americans identify as about as or more religious than Pratt. Like, he's a lot more "regular" than conservative. I have personally been spoiled by Chris Evans, but Pratt so far has just been sorta clumsy/goofy rather than hatemongery. Hopefully he's just learning stuff rather than James Woodsing his way through Hollywood and fame.

It's fine to go after organized religion if you want to, for all sorts of reasons, but seems derail-y and not really based on his actions thus far. He sure does follow some trash on Twitter tho.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
... Pratt follows Colin Moriarty? Wow
Yes; but also some progessives and progressive causes.. and then Tucker Carlson, Moriarty, random libertarian dweebs, etc.

Really can only garner so much from follows; he's definitely the sort of person to say simple pro-American patriotic messages so it's possible he just saw something along those veins from the accounts he follows and followed them.... or he followed them for some way more questionable reasons.. who knows?

Who really cares? Unless he uses his fame to spread this stuff which he really hasn't I have trouble caring.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned that when I originally spouted the number. I'm not lumping all Christians that way. Although I have to say, growing up Catholic, the idea that I'm being unfair by castigating organized Christians when I grew up in a community where Catholics hid child molestation, is infuriating. But right, it's not all Catholics there either. My point is, it ain't just evangelicals that are harmful. It ain't just Christians. It ain't just Muslims. It ain't just Buddhists. Organized religion is responsible for millions if not billions of deaths in the history of mankind. I'm sorry people feel unfairly targeted or uncomfortable.

Again that wasn't my suggestion although your conclusion isn't necessarily true unless 75% of all voting adults identify as Christian.
It is incredibly statistically unlikely that 81% of voting Christians voted for Trump.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
it's disturbing that a subset of Era equates the simple act of praying with being pieces of shit. And I say this as an atheist.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Nether did most of the Stars, you can't blame a dog for not wanting to bite the hand that feeds it

Oh, I wasn't. I was just mentioning it because people made a big deal out of it at the time.
is this thread after the most embarassing thread of the year early nomination currently held by The Rock's thread?

I'd say the thread of people ranting about not wanting to be told "Bless You" after sneezing is also up there lol

People got their axe to grind, I get it, but it does start getting out of hand.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
He sure does follow some trash on Twitter tho.

That's not really indicative of anything. I follow a ton of trash and right-wing nuts for simple entertainment purposes.
I'd say the thread of people ranting about not wanting to be told "Bless You" after sneezing is also up there lol

People got their axe to grind, I get it, but it does start getting out of hand.

oh fuck youre right

ERA is so angry and the year has barely started :(

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's talking about evangelicals.
Which has no relevance to this thread unless you know that Pratt identifies as an evangelical Christian.
I never argued that they did. I'm just being a pedantic asshat :/.
I'm no fan of religion either in my personal life, but I really don't see why you being a pedantic asshat about religion in a thread about two famous people getting married is necessary.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's disturbing that a subset of Era equates the simple act of praying with being pieces of shit. And I say this as an atheist.

I can only answer for myself but praying != organized religion.

I mean, I guess admitting your problem is the first step towards correcting it?

Self-reflection and action unfortunately do not always follow each other.

I'm no fan of religion either in my personal life, but I really don't see why you being a pedantic asshat about religion in a thread about two famous people getting married is necessary.

I mean it isn't really.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Ron Howard, Jeff Bridges, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nick Offerman, Meryl Streep, Denzel

I googled wives of Ron Howard, Jeff Bridges, Denzel, never heard of them. See you have to at least have a wiki page to be qualified as a known actor. But I will give you SMG/Freddie Prince Jr and Ron Swanson/Tammy 2. Meryl Streep doesn't count, her husband died early.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn dude moves quick. Divorced a year ago, been going out with this chick for 7 months. Wants a piece of the Schwarzenegger Kennedy action real bad.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to them both.

As for the rest of what the thread turned in to: I will agree that Republicans aren't a monolith. Just like Democrats aren't. I also know that not all Conservatives are evil, and not all of them are Christians.

BUT.

There is a trend, and those trends have served as sufficient ways to determine how a person is most likely to act. Beliefs influence actions, even if they don't determine them. I know that correlation isn't causation but the preponderance of the evidence leads us to certain reasonable conclusions.

Being a willing member of a party and supporting that party in spite of the actions of those leading said party makes you complicit in their actions, because they have your support in pursuing those courses of action. It's why when Conservatives mention something about politics at work or with friends, unless they're of sound mind, you get "that look". Is it judgemental? Yeah. Are they wrong? I dunno. Cause while they aren't accusing you of being a bad person, they're wondering what you have to gain for supporting bad people (or at least people that make bad decisions).

This is why hearing Chris go full bible thumper mode causes us Atheists, Democrats, Liberals, Never Trumpers and good people on the Right, to tense up. Because it's the same rhetoric we hear from the people that actually ARE the bad people on the Right. (Walk like a duck, talk like a duck... you get it). It's the same reason us blacks shat on Chance the Rapper for saying "It's okay to be a Republican" in this climate. Yes, it IS okay to be a Republican. You just gotta be comfortable with acknowledging that even if you don't agree with some of the things your party is doing, you're still supporting them, and that makes you complicit.

IMO. To all that stuff.

The religious stuff though? I respect and support his right to use his free speech to promote his faith. I don't respect his faith. I respect his right to gush about it though if he wants. Don't mean I ain't gonna trash the religion itself though because ideas aren't sacred. None are above question.

Oct 27, 2017
Is that a question? I really don't know what more you want from me. I agreed it wasn't necessary.

I never said 81% of Christians voted for Donald Trump.
So what's the relevance of saying "the most staunch believers in christ voted for Trump" in this thread? Pratt being religious? Oooo got 'em!

The real question is whether or not Pratt, Adam Scott, and Nick Offermann still send pictures of the epic shits they take to one another.