• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So your friends belong to an Anti-LGBTQ organization but you're cool with it because they don't agree with these specific views

In response to Ellen Page's criticism of his church, Pratt responded "It has recently been suggested that I belong to a church which 'hates a certain group of people' and is 'infamously anti-LGBTQ,'" he wrote. "Nothing could be further from the truth."

So it looks like your friends and chris pratt both belong to anti-LGBTQ organizations but neither agree with those specific beliefs...

So why are you quick to cancel pratt but not your friends?
First off none of my friends are Roman Catholic.

Secondly you're miscontrueing the situation, Ellen Page was talking about the specific church Pratt attends.

Thirdly I do have Muslim friends as well, should I cancel them because their self-declared authoritarian leaders in Saudi Arabia or Iran (depending on if you're a Sunni or Shi'a) are terrible people when the mosques they attend are full of good people who hate religious fundamentalism and bigotry? Do you see what I'm getting at?

Edit: what about Jewish friends? Some could say Israel is a powerful voice among the Jewish population yet all my Jewish friends fucking hate it because it's a genocidal apartheid nation. They're still Jewish.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I don't. Cordial relationship meaning like a co-worker? Sure. Friendships? Fuck no.

I've had friends that are Republicans and I tried literal years to try and convince them that nuking the middle east is wrong and using faggot as a slur isn't ok and black people don't deserve to be murdered by law enforcement and when I finally had enough I dropped them and never looked back.

As far as new friends goes, why would I bother with that shit again when there are literally billions of people I could interact with who aren't shitty people who I need to explain basic empathy to and hate me because of my sexual/romantic preferences?
Cordial meaning " good-natured ", guy.
No older family members who go right?
Not going to stop visiting my 90 year old grandfather because he voted for Trump... what kind of piece of shit would that make me?
I believe what I believe, and same goes for them. We honestly have no problem because we respect one another as individuals and blood runs deeper.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It's safest to just assume that all rich people are Republicans.

Even if they aren't vocal about it, they'll almost always vote in favor of their wallet.

Jul 18, 2018
Does no one here have friends or even a cordial relationship with someone who is conservative or Republican? If a close friend told you that they were a Republican would you immediately dismiss them as "trash" and never speak to them again?
Unfortunately i don't have any of these friends anymore that are at least manageable who are conservative or Republican, pretty much most i know now have extreme views. Which i'm not sure if it's related to being older, at least the ones i knew in college just wanted gun rights, or death penalty or getting rid of school vouchers and things of that nature. So now i just resorted to having them around so i can use them for my own benefits whether it be work or other things.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Not going to stop visiting my 90 year old grandfather because he voted for Trump... what kind of piece of shit would that make me?
I believe what I believe, and same goes for them. We honestly have no problem because we respect one another as individuals and blood runs deeper.
I said friendships not family. I do have an older grandmother who's racist and she sucks lol

But she shows up to family events and we clown on her anyways.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
That's nice. He voted to persecute minorities though, so, he's still a piece of shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Took the words out of my mouth. For how cancel-happy this place tends to be I can't help but find it interesting that Pratt of all people gets the benefit of the doubt.

Well before people want to cancel Pratt, maybe he actually needs to something that is worthy of 'cancelling at worst, the best people can bring up is that he defends his church.

There are other things that people have wanted to cancel him about:

He supports Law Enforcement (brother is a LEO)
He prayed for Kevin Smith (Kevin Smith was okay being prayed for/was born a catholic)
He follows people we don't like on Twitter
He said Hollywood needs to make more movies about blue collar america (He admitted that was a dumb comment, and walked it back)

Anything else?

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't he follow Candice Owens or am I getting him confused with someone else?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Republican party is full of shit no doubt, however lets not act like there isn't room for nuance.

I mean I'm a Democrat and voted for Obama twice but I was not OK with drone strikes and the fact that he didn't withdraw from Afghanistan. That means I fully support assassinations and an illegal foreign occupations going by the standards in this board.

That said I've pretty much stopped talking to anyone who was a Republican., pretty easy to do in NYC lol

EDIT: Just to clarify, NOT comparing Obama to trump at least not my intention. I just think the tribal thinking is scary and getting out of hand.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Pratt sucks and yes, if you identify as a conservative Republican in the year of our lord 2019 you are trash. No matter what you might claim you disagree with Trump on or how much good you do for your community can't cancel out a Trump vote helping take healthcare away from poor people and locking children up in cages.

Like gang, we are not even a day removed from Trump telling an elected Congresswoman of color to go back to Africa. That shit is not defensible and anyone who still supports him (whether in spite of his racism or because of it) is complicit.

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
While not exactly the same design, the "dont tread on me" slogan was designed for the marines in 1775 during the revolution.

It's also flown in the front of every US Navy ship during the day while in port.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Also a hunter (I know people are here but killing for sport will always be a cuntish move in my eyes).

And sadly GOTG is a great film :/

That is another one, being a hunter. add that to the list of 'Cancelling Pratt'

Even though Hunters and Fishermen are responsible for a fair majority of operating expenses for many public wildnerness areas and parks due to the fees and licensing that it requires.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Instead of cancelling celebrities why don't we just stop worshiping them? Like, let's not melt down when Keanu Reeves flashes a smile at a video game convention. Maybe then we wouldn't have a reality star as leader of the free world.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
User banned (3 days): hostility, inappropriate commentary
lol...
he's the best male in our family.

I'd knock your fucking teeth out if you weren't a keyboard warrior.
Pump the brakes kid

The best male in your family supports a racist, homophobic serial rapist.

The best male in your family is a cunt, mate.

And from your violent outburst it seems you've inherited his "best" bits.

Still, great news he's 90. Not long left.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi

The man taught me how to treat women, how to take care of home and family, how to balance a check book, shoot a basketball, etc.. He stepped up when my father didn't.. He votes a certain way... these are old folks stuck in old time.
It's normal for people to get rattled when someone says shit about someone they love.
And you're pushing it to another level with that last line....

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

This is literally one of the most vile, hateful posts I've ever seen on this forum. Holy shit.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The man taught me how to treat women, how to take care of home and family, how to balance a check book, shoot a basketball, etc.. He stepped up when my father didn't.. He votes a certain way... these are old folks stuck in old time.
It's normal for people to get rattled when someone says shit about someone they love.
And you're pushing it to another level with that last line....
The man taught you how to treat women, and supports a rapist?

You can respect him stepping in to fill a necessary void, but this idea that he's beyond criticism is a joke and ignores the people his beliefs actively hurt.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
First off none of my friends are Roman Catholic.

Secondly you're miscontrueing the situation, Ellen Page was talking about the specific church Pratt attends.

Thirdly I do have Muslim friends as well, should I cancel them because their self-declared authoritarian leaders in Saudi Arabia or Iran (depending on if you're a Sunni or Shi'a) are terrible people when the mosques they attend are full of good people who hate religious fundamentalism and bigotry? Do you see what I'm getting at?

You said "I was raised Roman Catholic and pretty much all of my family are still practicing and I have no issue with it." Then you said you attend churches that your family attends when you go to weddings. Now you're saying you don't have friends that are Roman Catholic? Are you estranged from your family? If so apologies if that was not clear.

You said "With his brand of christianity (i.e. super homophobic and against wealth redistribution) and what the Republican party is in 2019 it absolutely fucking does [warrant cancelling Pratty]"

Your family's Roman Catholic church is Anti-LGBTQ (i.e., their "brand"). Chris Pratt's church is Anti-LGBTQ.

This is clear.

You're employing absurd mental gymnastics that allow you to "cancel" Chris Pratt while not having any issue that your family also belongs to an anti-LGBTQ organization.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I mean I'm a Democrat and voted for Obama twice but I was not OK with drone strikes and the fact that he didn't withdraw from Afghanistan. That means I fully support assassinations and an illegal foreign occupations going by the standards in this board.
It's not a matter of support, but a matter of acknowledgement. As people who voted for the Obama administration, we have to own that we enabled things like drone strikes in the Middle East, even if we are against such policies.

Republicans seem to live in an imaginary land where they believe their party doesn't actively seek out to harm minorities. They never admit to any wrongdoing, and as such will never even attempt to change for the better.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The man taught you how to treat women, and supports a rapist?

You can respect him stepping in to fill a necessary void, but this idea that he's beyond criticism is a joke and ignores the people his beliefs actively hurt.
But you know at this point you're just insulting the man to antagonize his grandson, as I doubt the grandfather is reading this thread. No one is beyond criticism but that doesn't mean we should resort to insulting each others loved ones.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of cancelling celebrities why don't we just stop worshiping them? Like, let's not melt down when Keanu Reeves flashes a smile at a video game convention. Maybe then we wouldn't have a reality star as leader of the free world.
I don't think Shithead won because he was a celeb.

He won because a large portion of the country are assholes and creeps, and another large portion thought it was a goof.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Yuh huh... fuck this "extremism on both sides" shit. Wanna show me how many white people are being murdered by leftist political rhetoric? How many straight white people are having their rights stripped and are constantly put at risk by minorities? How many democrats are openly threatening to separate white families? I'd love to see those fucking receipts.

How belligerent of you.
You don't seem level headed or practical at all. Lack of systematic oppression does not equate a need for hate.
Are you for Antifa?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not a matter of support, but a matter of acknowledgement. As people who voted for the Obama administration, we have to own that we enabled things like drone strikes in the Middle East, even if we are against such policies.

Republicans seem to live in an imaginary land where they believe their party doesn't actively seek out to harm minorities. They never admit to any wrongdoing, and as such will never even attempt to change for the better.
I mean, we're literally in a thread where posters are pretending that these concentration camps only sprouted into existence within the last two years...

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I was going to ask the same thing.

Serious question: how do you square the fact that the man who taught you how to treat women supports a rapist who says that he can grab women by their genitals because he's famous?
You think he even heard that access Hollywood tape man?? I'm also in my mid 30s.. 17 years ago, yes, he was instrumental to my family in a number of ways.
You guys need to get with reality here.
Also, born and raised in Mississippi.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You want to talk more. My PM's are open to all.
Don't talk shit about family members here... that should be fucking obvious
I have recently talked shit to my family members for their political beliefs. A few months ago my cousin (who is married to a black woman and has two mixed race children) said racism doesn't exist. This past week I had a Facebook thread about Colin Kaepernick explode into a full-on flame war because of an aunt and another cousin who parachuted in to remind us all that kneeling at the anthem is unAmerican and that Kaep is a washed up wannabe activist looking for attention.

I never let it escalate to a full-on screaming match and we can be cordial at holidays, but these are some wretched beliefs and yes, it does devalue my opinion of them. It doesn't matter if you're cool to a handful of people in your personal life if you're also okay with say, Trump repealing the Affordable Care Act which has insured twenty million people who otherwise don't have it. You shouldn't let someone off the hook over the big picture because they get the little things right here and there.

And you shouldn't get mad at other people for ripping into your family members (who are complete strangers to them) over how they vote, especially if they're someone who's directly affected by Republicans' oppression and bigotry. They have every right to be upset.

Oh and don't go around calling other people "keyboard warriors" and then tell them you'd beat them up. Grow up.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US

Doesn't give me any information at all. What is your mentality with what i said regarding the rhetoric with how you can't be racist towards a person based on their skin color if it's white.

You are insinuating there isn't extremism on both sides when there clearly is. You may be part of the problem on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.