Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
and fuckboys who used to listen to 311 in high school who "realized" the concept of unity is terrifying and working against them.
Oh God I can't believe it
but when this era's through I'll say that's it.
Edification will take place.
Pull up the reigns and get out of the race.
My bros are down for the Unity.
311 is down for the Unity.
Unanimity of the Unity.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The Gadsden Flag is the universal symbol for "I'm a privileged white asshole who doesn't understand how the world works".

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
lol, a guy who's christian and is republican doesn't warrant pressing the cancel button.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not from the U.S so I don't know completely, but I thought that Trump was on a whole other level? Read an article once that stated that a lot of republicans don't agree with all of Trump's views. Could be wrong or a sensationalist article though. Although we kinda have the same over here in The Netherlands. Luckily he isn't our president but Wilders from the PVV is an example of that, most of the PVV party members don't even want to associate themselves with Wilders
yes, you are "correct" trump is far right republican. Just like there are Christians or Muslims and extremists that think most Christians or Muslims are not hardcore enough. Trump is a extremist. The problem though is even if most republican think he is too extreme they don't speak out on him because "he is from our party" most Republicans think he is crazy, but only if the camera is off.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Not publicly.

Also lol @ everyone trying to provide cover fire for this. The Don't Tread On Me thing is universally recognized, in 2019, as a symbol of the Tea Party movement and far-right politics. It's even recognized as a hate symbol by some groups.
Let's see just how far we can stretch expectations, folks!

Not everyone knows this. Not everyone even believes this. And, frankly, if people wouldn't let shitty movements like that freaking take symbols like this and then abandon them at the first sign of terrible, things like this, Pepe, and, apparently, the circle game wouldn't be seen as alt-right symbols and could live on being whatever the used to be.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The dont tread on me symbol isnt a GOP thing right?
It's the profile pic for that POS Colin Moriarty so I assume it's right wing.

It didn't used to be, but more and more its associated with the right wing or alt-right. It used to be pretty common in New England because it was a revolutionary war flag. I don't think it'll ever become a GOP symbol, but if someone is flyign this flag/symbol today there's a pretty good chance they're either ignorant (which I'd imagine Chris Pratt falls into) or a Tea Party leaning conservative. Prior to 2008 it would have been associated with, generally, an independent minded person ... moderately anti-government, perhaps anti-war, perhaps pro- drug legalization, maybe pro-gay rights, but also maybe right leaning but not necessarily right leaning, etc. I would have associated it with like, a liberal anti-government type person from New Hampshire... Someone whose idea of individual liberty is no broader than cheap cigarettes and legal weed. But around/after 2008, it started to widely get co-oped by the Tea Party to be anti-government, which meant anti-Obama, which meant anti-Liberal, which became the alt-right.

I'm worried about 'The Battle Hymn of the Republic' going the same way. It's a fucking anti-slavery abolitionist pro-Union Civil War fight song that Martin Luther King Jr famously quoted just before he was assassinated.... But the fucking Right has been trying hard to co-opt it hard for decades. FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS, man

Last edited:

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect thread to leave my theory!

Told my wife last year that my long game theory is that Chris Pratt will be President by 2040 or so. I laid out all my reasons why. Long story short he'll be the perfect face for conservatives to rally around after the left's grip finally loosens after their dominant wins post trump.

She was like "lol no" but I told her just watch. This marriage is the start. I fucking called this shit.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
In this thread: People are realizing that you can be a Republican and not be a full on Trumper.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Wealthy people tend to be right wing for the tax breaks.

They're tend to be too disconnected to care about the problems of non-white/non-straight people.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I hate that the Dont Tread on Me thing has been co opted, I have a Navy Jack on my wall and have for years(since I was in the Navy and all, the flag actually came from my last ship and was given to me by the navigation officer) and I've had numerous people question me about it. I'm not a tea party nutter I promise, I just feel a connection to my time in the Navy is all.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
It's rather recent, too. US Soccer had gear with "Don't Tread On Me" for many years.

51877829_d1662f9c67.jpg

Heck, Clint Dempsey even rapped about it:

Then the fucking Tea Party came and co-opted it.

I was JUST about to mention that. The snake and the language is used a lot for Philadelphia sports teams as well.

6a00e54ef2975b88330133ec8d3839970b-pi.jpg

DaDLXj6V4AI7Ivl

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Pratt is definitely very christian and very proud of his farm.
Nothing wrong with either of those tho, it's the rest of him that sucks and his specific branch of christianity that seemingly forgot to mention to treat others as your neighbor and not to hoard wealth

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's been co-opted by the right but it's from the revolutionary war.

"The Gadsden flag is a historical American flag with a yellow field depicting a rattlesnake coiled and ready to strike. Positioned below the rattlesnake are the words "Dont Tread On Me." The flag is named after American general and politician Christopher Gadsden, who designed it in 1775 during the American Revolution."

ed3.png

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Not all conservatives are bad people. Not all conservatives support or like trump.

Let's not be generalizing myopic morons please.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
lol, a guy who's christian and is republican doesn't warrant pressing the cancel button.
With his brand of christianity (i.e. super homophobic and against wealth redistribution) and what the Republican party is in 2019 it absolutely fucking does.

Oct 25, 2017
It was bound to happen with someone in the MCU, there's probably a few more that just keep it quiet, can't all be as cool as Cap

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Utterly unsurprising after his bible quote tweets.

He's exactly the goofy dude who has his fun when he's younger, then gets some money, joins a church, and gets more (openly) conservative. It's a tale as old as time.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
whole lot of celeb watchers/gossipers are on the "Pratt is gonna run for office one day" train... (yikes)

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Has he ever publicly said anything or is this thread just everyone jumping to conclusions based on... a t-shirt?

Foxhound

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Knee jerk reaction much?

Maybe somebody just likes the aesthetic. The design has a history of Being in support of liberty - which I can't speak for the community, but for myself on this - which I have zero qualms with. I fail to see how he should be vilified for wearing this shirt.

Also, what's the big deal if he is Republican? That doesn't make him a bad person inherently. I just don't get what the big deal is.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"Libertarians" when talking about cops or the military

579.png

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Knee jerk reaction much?

Maybe somebody just likes the aesthetic. The design has a history of Being in support of liberty - which I can't speak for the community, but for myself on this - which I have zero qualms with. I fail to see how he should be vilified for wearing this shirt.

Also, what's the big deal if he is Republican? That doesn't make him a bad person inherently. I just don't get what the big deal is.
You mean supporting the party doing what they're doing in your country right now. With Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.