Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamomile

Oct 25, 2017
Chris Rock tried out a new skit and people weren't happy:
Rock said he won't hire women anymore because he would need a crew of witnesses around him at all times so he wouldn't be accused of rape, one patron of the MacDougal Street club told me.

"They cry rape because they want money," said Rock, who added he won't even hire a cleaning lady because he's afraid of false accusations.

"I've seen him before and he was hysterical, but this wasn't funny at all," said one woman.

"Nobody was laughing. There were many boos and many women who were telling him he was a sexist pig. Two people got kicked out."

Source:

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/05/chris-rocks-jokes-about-sexual-harassment-bomb/

OP
OP
Chamomile

Chamomile

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, I posed this in the wrong section. Sorry about that Gaming Side. I'll PM a mod.

Oct 27, 2017
He's a comedian and it sounds like it was a joke in his set...

Now you could definitely argue it was a poor joke, and it kind of is given what's going on now, but I don't take comedian's jokes very seriously

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Too soon Chris, too soon.

Not saying the joke is cool and all, but this is really bad timing.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw him a few months ago and it was genuinely awful. He didn't do this joke but much of the material was hard to relate to, and his delivery was off. It has a snowball effect, and by the time he was getting into half decent material the mood had shifted. I imagine this would be a similar situation combined with a really poor taste joke.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
This joke is just fucking disgusting, period. No way Chris Rock can be this ignorant and crass, not even considering the consequences of how such a joke would be considered in our current climate with sexual assault allegations out of the woodwork. The more I learn about Rock, the more I find him a jackass.

Deleted member 3837

Even if you believe this stuff, wouldn't one think not to express feelings like this in our current world?

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
He's a comedian and it sounds like it was a joke in his set...

Now you could definitely argue it was a poor joke, and it kind of is given what's going on now, but I don't take comedian's jokes very seriously
The nature of standup is often to highlight serious topics in humorous ways but that doesn't negate the seriousness of said topic, rather provides another way to approach it. In this case his bit sounds like shit and paints him as an insensitive asshole.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It was a club set where he was trying new. He's allowed to fail.

Thread title should have clarified it was a joke too.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
One of my GOAT comedians but damn that joke is a huge misfire. Should think of dropping it for his new special (assuming it's in there)

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the bad timing is obviously intentional. It's a lame joke; the only way it's going to potentially score is if he can strike that delicate target. The joke is so bad though that it's pretty much dead on arrival, he would deserve the boos even if the audience was into that edgy stuff

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very much in mind nothing is sacred in comedy, but read the atmosphere dude this is not the time and place to do jokes about this.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I wonder how much of this he really means. I could easily see him believing this and exaggerating.

I can see the point being made though, there is a real chance that people who have done no wrong could be caught up in this mess and lumped in with real rapists and harassers.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
C7S0ouqVAAANACj.jpg

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very poor joke. Surprised, Chris always seemed very good at reading his audience and knowing how far to push the boundaries...

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i really hate the rage about comedians trying new shit. everything can be funny if done right. sounds like he didnt do it right.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Good thing men can't get raped.

Edit: Oh good, people saying it's wrong to ever criticise comedy.

Would it be ok if instead of stating an opinion that a joke was bad, I went to an open mic night and did a five minute stand up set about how a joke was bad.

Or would you criticise that?

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Betcha there's going to be accusations against Chris Rock.

There was one a long time ago but it was messy.

A woman cliamed she had an affair with him and that he had raped her on multiple occasions. She also claimed he was the father of her child. He denied, claimed she was extorting him for money and hired a hollywood PI to help solve the problem hush-hush. He narrowly avoided trouble there as the same PI was known for doing shady things like tapping phones. John McTiernan was sent to prison over things he had this PI do.

So basically you can look at it three ways. Potential rapist, someone who actually was extorted by a woman lying about rape or a comedian joking and exaggerating around his own life experiences.

Last edited:

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
He's better than that joke. From the article, it sounds like something a shitty co-worker would joke about.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously there's more lines and delivery to the joke. Would have been nice to seen a video here. It wouldn't dismiss the poor taste but greater context is needed here

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was already a favorite of the right for "Niggas vs. Black People" and this is sure to win him more of those fans

I don't mind comedy being offensive and touching on uncomfortable truths but this "joke" commits the cardinal sin of not even being funny. It's just a straight up shitty statement made on a stage unless there is more to it than that quote. What's the punchline supposed to be?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
i really hate the rage about comedians trying new shit. everything can be funny if done right. sounds like he didnt do it right.

I get your sentiment but I don't think that's how it works for a lot of comedians.

A lot of the big name comedians who play large theaters and arenas go into these small clubs to work on their material. See what works and was t doesn't and allow them to fine tune their act before they do the really big shows.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that bit is probably gonna get cut. That's what comedians do though, test new material and refine what works.

I remember George Carlin telling some truly crazy ass jokes that were more crass than anything I've ever heard from him before. This was after his last big set about death and suicide. He was traveling the country testing out material and the stuff I heard was sometimes funny but way more vulgar than his stuff he refined for HBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.