• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, this is why Chris Rock has never been funny to me.

Even on his stint of, "The Real Husbands of Hollywood" he just clowns Kevin for not being "white famous" and it's just cringey bullshit.

Chris Rock has always been that black dude that measures his success by his proximity to whiteness.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
Good of Seinfeld for not going into that hold. Shame on you chris rock.

ADDED: Coming from the comedian that brought you Niggaz vs black people.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
This is an old round table, well before CK's most recent (re)accusation and admission.

This was the most uncomfortable moment. The rest was great.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Chris clearly was not comfortable with Louis CK saying it

He was taken back and didn't know how to handle the situation and Seinfeld took up for him

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Seinfeld handled that... very well.

"I never found the humor in it... nor do I seek it." Good answer on the spot.

Personally, I find all those comedians hilarious in their own unique ways; and I like Chris Rock a lot. But I feel like this whole bit was really unnecessary. I'm a white guy, so apologies if I'm way off base - but it kinda seemed Chris was surprised CK said it. Like, he was just joshing and then the word gets dropped, and he didn't want to flip out there, so he just rolled with it. I very well may be mis-reading though.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seinfeld handled that... very well.

"I never found the humor in it... nor do I seek it." Good answer on the spot.

Personally, I find all those comedians hilarious in their own unique ways; and I like Chris Rock a lot. But I feel like this whole bit was really unnecessary.

Seinfeld seems like an uteer tool and a dickwad, but also someone that knows were the line actually is and knows where to stop.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Ricky was so damn happy to say it. I just don't understand the obsession with saying that word.

JUST
DON'T

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ricky was so damn happy to say it. I just don't understand the obsession with saying that fucking word.

JUST
DON'T
When you've taken nearly everything away from someone without consequence, the mere idea that they might hold on to one thing and say "You can't have this" is a personal affront.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Seinfeld seems like an uteer tool and a dickwad, but also someone that knows were the line actually is and knows where to stop.

The line for Seinfeld was drawn pretty large after watching his costar career end by being trigger happy with the word. Louis CK lives in the world Tarantino lives in where they think it is okay to say it, and it has never/will never been appropriate.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
TBF, Rock rescinded that bit and said he'd never do it again because he felt it gave white people an out.

SO COLOR ME SHOCKED TO SEE THIS SHIT.

It was the 90s and apart of his standup I never understood the need to apologize

That laugh after CK said the N word is one of the most awkward and fake laughs ever and Jerry sensed it

Edit
Rewatching the vid Chris even pauses a little after CK says it him and jerry are the only ones not laughing

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Isn't this like a decade old? It was on HBO. Not giving them a free pass, but their perspectives could very well have changed since then.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so this is why Chris Rock is trending on Twitter.

It's weird that this old ass show that was everywhere when it first aired is being posted like some kind of expose.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Look I'm not going to tell comedians what they are and aren't allowed to say. But if you're going to flirt with or cross that line, you better justify it with some damn good jokes.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
MV5BMDdiNTkxNjAtNjY0ZC00ZjcyLWJhMzktNmNiZjFlYWNlZjVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

This is from an HBO special called Talking Funny from 2011. There's a lot of rough parts, including Louis not admitting the irony of laughing at a homophobic spin on "sitting on the dock by the bay".

I still really enjoyed it at the time because there's not enough specials where people from their fields just talk. I think it was an important precursor to Seinfeld making "Comedians in Cars". I've always wanted someone to arrange another Talking Funny with maybe like major female comedians. That'd be rad.

OP
OP
Barzul

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
This is old as fuck and it's not even remotely controversial.

Louis has done nigger jokes in his stand up routine.
This isn't remotely controversial? The age isn't really relevant seeing as its trending again and being discussed actively. This is not a stand up show, not sure why CK even brings it up.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Chris Rock because he was kind of a rare insight into African American middle class stuff. He also seemed more genuine and naturally talented and less MAD AMBITION NON STOP NO TIME FOR SMILING Kevin Hart. Like, on TV, there wasn't much between The Wire and Fresh Prince/The Cosby show, so it was interesting to see standup material about just being black in the middle and the challenges and cultural detail that wasn't either poverty or exceptionalism. Eddie Murphy actually came from a similar kind of background, but his material was really different. Also I have no idea what being a black middle class guy in America is like, so maybe I just read it all wrong.

But uh, yeah, Seinfeld took the right path there.

Lous made his own bed and refuses to lie in it. IDK what he's thinking tbh.

Ricky is talented and inventive and legitimately clever, but he's always like, one Blog away from being the Euphoric Fedora.

The line for Seinfeld was drawn pretty large after watching his costar career end by being trigger happy with the word. Louis CK lives in the world Tarantino lives in where they think it is okay to say it, and it has never/will never been appropriate.

Also ruined the retirements of untold numbers of secondary and tertiary cast members when syndications dumped it. Kramer did a fantastic amount of damage to all sorts of people with that shit. The main cast were already loaded, they can live without residuals. At least Mel Gibson mostly just destroyed his own career.