DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
www.denofgeek.com

Christopher Nolan Revealed as MacGruber Superfan

MacGruber's Jorma Taccone says the Tenet director emailed his support for the new spinoff series, too

"The first few times I met [Christopher Nolan] I couldn't even really look him in the eye," Hathaway told the host. "I was so intimidated. But you spend some time on set, and you learn to like read how the days go. Because he's not a very demonstrative person, so if you get a hug, it's amazing. And if he's being quiet, you know it's probably not a great day. And if he starts making jokes, you're like 'Oh my god, this day is so good.' And if he starts quoting MacGruber, you're just like this film will win an Oscar."

After MacGruber helmer Jorma Taccone found out that Nolan was into his movie, he told Vanity Fair that he had eventually tentatively approached him with a joke that would name-check him in a sequel.

"I was like, "Holy shit. That's incredible." The closer to that story is that my wife [Marielle Heller] and I were at our first DGA dinner. And she's like, "Christopher Nolan is there. You've got to go say hi to him." So I went up to him and I said, "My name is Jorma. I directed this movie called MacGruber." I said, "We're going to do a sequel eventually. What do you think of this: When the director card comes up it just says, "Directed by Christopher Nolan" with an asterisk, and then at the end of the movie there's another asterisk that says who actually directed it." And he said, "Let me talk to my wife about it."

When it was announced in January that Will Forte would return to the role in a new MacGruber TV series for NBC's upcoming Peacock streaming service, Taccone also invited Nolan to attend a read-through of the pilot episode. Nolan declined, but did send them "the best fucking email" to show his support:

"Though I can't be there in person to watch you take the first step of your odyssey—know that my spirit soars with you, and whilst it's perhaps unfair to add to the great sense of responsibility you must already feel, I am duty bound to tell you—the world is waiting, the world is watching," he wrote.

Due to the current industry shutdown and resulting restrictions, it's unclear when the MacGruber TV series will get up and running, but we'll keep you posted.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Come forth heathens who abandoned our king for false plastic idols

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
YOU CAN FUCK ME

OR GET FUCKED BY ME

OR WATCH ME FUCK SOMETHING, SOMETHING I DONT KNOW I CAN FUCK IT FOR YOU

JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT ME TO FUCK

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna say this article reads like it's super old cos the MacGruber TV series already happened...
Then I realised this was published in 2020.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
after being invited to the table read he should have responded

"I have a better idea how about no fucking way"

CanadianGoose

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 23, 2023
Turns out my GF hasnt seen macgruber despite us being together for years.

Im a terrible fucking boyfriend jfc

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I own a copy of this movie, but it's merely HD. If he was a real fan he'd use his pull to get a 4k Dolby Vision release.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Loved the macgruber skits on SNL. It works great as a parody of MacGyver.

The movie, however, was bad, and honestly, I don't think the concept makes any sense. MacGruber is best consumed in short bites.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nolan comes across as a very serious guy but then you hear about him loving Macgruber and he was just talking about Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules on the press tour for Oppenheimer lmao

Oct 27, 2017
I hear a lot of people on podcasts say they like MacGruber.

My dad and I did not like the first 30 minutes and turned it off.

I hear that's not uncommon and that it's a real love it or hate it movie.

Nolan liking it doesn't change my opinion of him. I like a lot of his movies, I don't like some of his movies and I think he's a pretty good director.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I hear a lot of people on podcasts say they like MacGruber.

My dad and I did not like the first 30 minutes and turned it off.

I hear that's not uncommon and that it's a real love it or hate it movie.

Nolan liking it doesn't change my opinion of him. I like a lot of his movies, I don't like some of his movies and I think he's a pretty good director.

I hated MacGruber the first time that I watched it. I think I just wasn't prepared for what it was. I gave it a second go and absolutely loved it. I've seen it a few times now.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I absolutely adore the MacGruber movie, literally just watched it again today. Such a great comedy.

I haven't seen the TV show...is it really that good?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man I read today how he loved the diary of a wimpy kid movies and that's why the guy who plays rodrick is in Oppenheimer

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
"I am duty bound to tell you—the world is waiting, the world is watching," he wrote.

Okay, THAT'S hilarious.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
If I ever have the opportunity to meet Nolan I will get him to sign my copy of MacGruber