• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Are they really going to get more eyes on the event by inviting a movie director? I just can't believe that there is a significant amount of people that will tune into a game awards show because Nolan is there. It's all so baffling. Like I just know that it's going to be the same old boomer speech about games being a new way to tell a story etc
Advertising your show with Christopher Nolan is a lot more likely to get outside people tune in than advertising it with Neil Druckmann (sorry Neil). Considering the show was a giant advertisement the past years it fits the event.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Certainly hope he actually has something to say about video games. Did they show BWAAAAAAM in Fortnite or something prior to Tenent? I can't think of another video game connection.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Come on now people.

He's a big celebrity, if you can get those for your show of course you're going to get them, especially if you're going to have a bunch of presenters anyway.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Kojima teamup confirmed.

and people shocked for what? you always get random fuck celebs/athletes coming to this. And does anyone actually care about the presenter/awards? we just want to see the reveals

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Christopher Nolan absolutely does not transcend mediums lol. These guests are just random as fuck.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised so many people are saying, "why?" Big names can bring in an audience. All kinds of people like video games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Man i swear ERA is way too hateful. Just because you come from another industry doesnt mean that you cant be a gamer or part of celebrating videogames. This year has been a mess and Geoff is doing what he can to put this celebration of games together and so many of us just love to complain about everything.

Really getting mad about Nolan present an award ? Smh...

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I guess all these real celebs have more free time due to COVID + videoing in is less of an ask so it's easier to get big names.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
It's gonna be the Elden Ring trailer while he talks over it in a muffled inaudible voice.

Nah it'll be elden ring but with those inception horns

FROM SOFTWARE

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

PRESENTS

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ELDEN

BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RING

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Lets see if they invite someone from the video game industry to the next Oscars ceremony.
I doubt it.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Just like Gadot is there to sell a new Wonder Woman movie, this will probably be him trying to sell you Tenet on UHD (which releases in a week or so).
Whatever keeps TGAs afloat goes, I guess.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ughhhhh!

Such an insufferable dude. With him and that WW actress ill have no choice but to skip this. I'll catch the announcements after the show.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it makes sense given the whole Fortnite thing but still super weird. The first few years of TGA it felt like they were making really good steps to introduce lesser known but important people from the games sphere to a wider audience and it feels like that isn't a focus anymore.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's a good get. Era's hate-boner for him is utterly bizarre and misplaced to put it mildly.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Just like Gadot is there to sell a new Wonder Woman movie, this will probably be him trying to sell you Tenet on UHD (which releases in a week or so).
Whatever keeps TGAs afloat goes, I guess.

Pretty much this. They have product to sell Tenet is out on digital on the 15th of December.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I understand criticisms about this, but that's a really interesting choice in my opinion!

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
i like the hollywood types that are presenting but i'm also getting annoyed at how much hollywood is at this thing. i'd rather it featured more celebritys from the video game industry like jade raymond and neil drunkmann.

hell, at the very least get hollywood types that are working in the industry like keanu reeves (cyberpunk) or ronald regan (CoD)..

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he mentions the Batman Begins game. (Which is really great!)
One of my favorite movie based games that rarely gets talked about; I view it as sort of a diet Splinter Cell with elements of Manhunt sprinkled in, but the fear mechanic was surprisingly innovative at the time. Some of what the Arkham series has been praised for the last decade can be traced back to Batman Begins, which is pretty fasincating, given that it was a comparably uneventful licensed game from the PS2 generation.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I mean, I can also appreciate that people would rather see presenters from the video game industry. What does he really have to do with video games? It's not like he's a known gamer or anything either.
Hear me out for a second, what if you can do both? Have known faces in games as well known faces in other forms of entertainment come together to celebrate game creators. Wouldn't it be awesome to have people across all facet of the entertainment industry come together to celebrate a medium that nearly 3 billion people on earth enjoy and partake in?

Nooooo, that sounds stupid. It should be exclusive to only people who make games. Nobody else should be invited because obviously they make movies and TV so they clearly don't know anything about story telling nor do they enjoy games, their families and friends probably don't play games. Its not like a lot of game developers also come from various industries especially graphics programmers, animators, music production etc. Disney and heck Sony, Warner Bros, Vivendi are clearly not true gaming companies because they also own some of the largest Movie, TV and Music production companies as well.

Kujumz

May 30, 2019
Nolan's more controversial scripts would be more likely to be considered good had they been for videogames. For some reason it does feel an appropriate comparison. Not a very big fan of his work.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out for a second, what if you can do both? Have known faces in games as well known faces in other forms of entertainment come together to celebrate game creators. Wouldn't it be awesome to have people across all facet of the entertainment industry come together to celebrate a medium that nearly 3 billion people on earth enjoy and partake in?

Nooooo, that sounds stupid. It should be exclusive to only people who make games. Nobody else should be invited because obviously they make movies and TV so they clearly don't know anything about story telling nor do they enjoy games, their families and friends probably don't play games. Its not like a lot of game developers also come from various industries especially graphics programmers, animators, music production etc. Disney and heck Sony, Warner Bros, Vivendi are clearly not true gaming companies because they also own some of the largest Movie, TV and Music production companies as well.

If you think Christopher Nolan or Gal Gadot is at this to celebrate video games I dont know what to tell you.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
If you think Christopher Nolan or Gal Gadot is at this to celebrate video games I dont know what to tell you.
Don't really care what they are there for. The people who are putting the show together need to be paid and these companies need an audience to advertise to. There are going to be millions of eyes tuned in and we all watch TV shows and Movies so i don't see what is the problem in people getting paid to advertise as well as entertain.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It's nice get, but why? I wish they put more people from the game industry in the spotlight. One guest appearances from someone else, like Larson who is a big Nintento fan, would be fine, but this, I don't know.