Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
ftfy and because they WERE. Because Chun Li is not even Japanese. This is quite literally an anime trope thing in fact it is most likely a reference to the time she did it in a SF anime.

The fun thing about cringe is its an empathetic response to being uncomfortable with what someone else is doing. So if you feel the cringe its literally entirely your own baggage.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, every time I keep seeing people unironically say Ryu and Chun Li should be in their 50s I wonder have you guys never heard of a floating timeline before?

It's not even a matter of having to have read comic books, stuff like the Simpsons has done it for decades now. lol

I, too, need everything in fiction to map exactly to real life logic otherwise PLOT HOLE!

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
...I thought it was a cute reference to the Street Fighter anime...

Honestly, every time I keep seeing people unironically say Ryu and Chun Li should be in their 50s I wonder have you guys never heard of a floating timeline before?

It's not even a matter of having to have read comic books, stuff like the Simpsons has done it for decades now. lol
Yeah I've seen people on twitter say that Third Strike takes place in 1999 as a way to prove that Ryu and Chun-Li are in their 50s which if that's the case why does Rashid in SF5 have an iphone? You could probably do some guesswork and say that Chun-Li is in her early 30s and Ryu is in his mid 30s but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. Capcom is never going to fully commit to a canonical age for these characters.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The fun thing about cringe is its an empathetic response to being uncomfortable with what someone else is doing. So if you feel the cringe its literally entirely your own baggage.
I mean if someone lacks the self awareness to figure that going "actually girls in Japan actually do this," (when they...fucking don't), in response to a Chinese woman who's otherwise portrayed as a mentor suddenly doing an out of place anime trope that teenage anime character do, then yea that's gonna cause some cringe and idk why you wanna die on "it's others who are wrong" hill. Capcom could do better, is the overall point being made tbh. I'm not too fussed about it considering Capcom is making an effort to do better compared to the levels of cringe that required SFV events to have alternate costumes, but like, come on they can actually do better. Hell give Luke a pouty fuccboi face.

Last edited:

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
(when they...fucking don't)

How can you possibly know that though. All it takes is one person to do that and you're wrong. And Chun Li being Chinese is irrelevant because 1) the devs are Japanese and so that might influence how they animate the characters and 2)Look at photos from Chinese cosplayers and you'll see them doing similiar anime poses so clearly there is some cross cultural exchange going on. Crazy, I know.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
How can you possibly know that though.
Ok so dude, I really shouldn't have to say this. But women in Japan are not walking anime tropes. They don't puffy cheek pout in the same vein that they don't positively responding to being pet like an actual animal.

I shouldn't need to say this. I literally do not mind them referencing a literal SF anime, I however, absolutely do mind people looking at this and going "Yea, Japanese women totally do this."

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Put me in the group of people that doesn't consider making funny faces to be an anime thing. Just a human thing.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen some White Girls do it in real life.

However they were all obsessed with anime, to that point that anime was their personality.
So that just puts us back at square one I guess lol.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Ok so dude, I really shouldn't have to say this. But women in Japan are not walking anime tropes. They don't puffy cheek pout in the same vein that they don't positively responding to being pet like an actual animal.

I shouldn't need to say this.

Nice try but I never said that. But good job at triyng to put words in my mouth. FYI I actually talk with real Japanese women and I understand some of the shit things that get projected onto them by westerners trying to fetishise them. So I'm pretty fucking incensed that would you imply I believe that. When all I fucking said was that some people do this and NOT ALL THE FUCKING TIME. NOT EVERY FUCKING DAY. But some people do this in certain circumstances. Can you wrap your fucking ahead around this rocket science logic!?

Or do you want to drop another ice cold dumb internet drive-by take?

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly confused how this got started because this is for the faces you can make at your opponent during the VS screen prelude isn't it

how did it get this many pages about it

edit:

ok now I see

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom: *Makes fun little feature to show off expressiveness of the characters.*

Era: *Argument*

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man, people here are weird.

A lot of girls in Asia do make that face to look cute, it's not just an "anime" only thing. Even back in the day to current times, lots of Japanese(or other Asian) music idols do that just for the fun of it. It's called "puku" or "pukupuku" face, basically a Japanese onomatopoeia imitating a puffer fish that's inflating itself.

Let Chun do whatever the hell she wants.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

However they were all obsessed with anime, to that point that anime was their personality.
Bingo.

Nice try but I never said that.
By asking "how could you know that?" in response to "Uh yea this culture doesn't act like this depiction in this specific form of media" is implying that there's a possibility
FYI I actually talk with real Japanese women and I understand some of the shit things that get projected onto them by westerners trying to fetishise them.
Congrats, me too. Anecdotes are typically useless. Instead of coming at me, maybe respond to the poster that stated "You know, women in Japan actually do this" as a kneejerk response to people going "huh that's weird that they did this" regarding an emote featuring a woman who literally isn't Japanese instead of the ones who think "Yea it's kinda weird that they went with this and uh, this series sorta hasn't been an A+ when it comes to representation of women so maybe they could do better given the context of this character? Even though it's most likely a reference to a super old anime featuring the character."

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
By asking "how could you know that?" in response to "Uh yea this culture doesn't act like this depiction in this specific form of media" is implying that there's a possibility

Nice try but you said
"actually girls in Japan actually do this," (when they...fucking don't)
Which implies it never happens which is why I responded asking how you could possibly know that.

Congrats, me too. Anecdotes are typically useless. Instead of coming at me, maybe respond to the poster that stated "You know, women in Japan actually do this" as a kneejerk response to people going "huh that's weird that they did this" regarding an emote featuring a woman who literally isn't Japanese instead of the ones who think "Yea it's kinda weird that they went with this and uh, this series sorta hasn't been an A+ when it comes to representation of women so maybe they could do better given the context of this character? Even though it's most likely a reference to a super old anime featuring the character."

It's pretty shitty of you to hide behind "its about representation" when the whole issue was the poster said "women in Japan actually do this" and people just immediately dismissed it and called it cringe. Despite other people pointing out that they've seen real Japanese women do it before.

Representation was never apart of it but you're trying to bring it in because it makes your argument look better which is pretty dishonest.

If people just chilled and said "yeah I don't think this is common at all" I would have agreeded with them but instead we had to turn it into an internet fight.

Imagine if we could be on civil on the internet without trying to turn discourse into a dunk-a-thon.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017

So that just puts us back at square one I guess lol.
I saw a middle-aged white woman do it when the food truck was out of bottled water

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Nice try but you said
"actually girls in Japan actually do this," (when they...fucking don't)
Which implies it never happens
You're literally arguing semantics.

It's pretty shitty of you to hide behind "its about representation"
It's always a representation thing. Chun Li is one of the most iconic characters in gaming. This isn't even the only critique of her in SFVI.
when the whole issue was the poster said "women in Japan actually do this" and people just immediately dismissed it and called it cringe
I quite literally don't why you're insisting otherwise.

If people just chilled and said "yeah I don't think this is common at all"
"Women in Japan don't do this"========="this is not very common at all, and also the character isn't Japanese in the first place" It's a neat reference but please don't die on the "I don't what you know about Japanese culture, (i'm an expert)" hill. It's not that deep. People were chill.

Can you all get this anime talk out of my Street Fighter thread? Thanks.
Capcom did this.
sf2am11.gif

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
If you guys think this thread got wild just wait until they reveal a character doing one of those ahegao faces

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I, too, have seen women make this face. It's usually when they are upset about something, but it's not super serious, so it's more of an exaggeration for comedic effect.
Also it's really not that big of a deal either way.