Det

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah I'm confused. Is he talking about the games being above Helldivers 2, or is he still talking about the top 20? Lol.

If it's about the top 7 then I guess it's like this:
1. God of War: Ragnarok
2. God of War 2018
3. Spider-Man 1
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Spider-Man Miles Morales
6. Ghost of Tsushima
7. Helldivers 2

He's responding about lifetime revenue for Sony titles. It was in response to this:

View: https://x.com/wowitzdave/status/1785703332943913349

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I knew that XV was up there but had no idea it was 1st in the US. I'm glad that Squeenix nurtured the talent that made that game to capitalize on the successes of that product while addressing its shortcomings. Oh wait.

Rebirth doing better than I expected, dunno what the I'm in danger tweet was about.

Good to see Ronin up there, feels like the sort of game that will have decent legs and WoM especially once it hits other platforms.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
he's talking about PS Studios first party titles that are above Helldivers 2

As long as it's not $70 lol
Unless you are BF or COD, launching at $70 against various established franchises, some that have been updating their latest release for years is such a mountain to climb. They could take the XDefiant path of launch f2p, but if they can make a compelling case for $40 it may be fine as well.

RezziHD_

Apr 28, 2022
Going by what Matt said, surprised that Ghost has done better than Tlou 2 in the US. Going by the leaked info we got earlier in the week, that would mean Tlou 2 did a decent bit better outside of the US (compared to Ghost) if I'm understanding all the data correctly?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I knew that XV was up there but had no idea it was 1st in the US. I'm glad that Squeenix nurtured the talent that made that game to capitalize on the successes of that product while addressing its shortcomings. Oh wait.
I mean they did but they made Forspoken.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
So much quaking with rage over Rebirth and its more or less doing fine. This forum, man.

Jul 2, 2021
Going by what Matt said, surprised that Ghost has done better than Tlou 2 in the US. Going by the leaked info we got earlier in the week, that would mean Tlou 2 did a decent bit better outside of the US (compared to Ghost) if I'm understanding all the data correctly?
Ghost of Tsushima was huge outside the US. It's a million seller in Japan. The worldwide sales numbers for both are very similar.
TLOU2: 10 million after 2 years.
Ghost of Tsushima: 9.73 million after 2 years.

Fantastic numbers for a new IP.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
So glad Rise of the Ronin is doing well. I'm enjoying it more than Dragons Dogma to be honest.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
If these games had launched Day One on PC, they would have no doubt made up the vast majority of the sales of the games.
Eh, Ronin would've probably done much better, but I suspect PC gamers would've largely sat out Rebirth because Square support out of nowhere without a clear commitment would've just made it into a "let's give them a few years and see if they'll still be good for it" sort of exercise. There's also the likelihood that PC gamers generally aren't chomping at the bit to play Rebirth given how the last round of late ports went, and considering the point of these exclusivity deals, from Sony's point of view, is to sort interested parties into the PS camp by default, if they were interested, they likely have a PS5 and bought it within the launch period.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Ronin would've probably done much better, but I suspect PC gamers would've largely sat out Rebirth because Square support out of nowhere without a clear commitment would've just made it into a "let's give them a few years and see if they'll still be good for it" sort of exercise. There's also the likelihood that PC gamers generally aren't chomping at the bit to play Rebirth given how the last round of late ports went, and considering the point of these exclusivity deals, from Sony's point of view, is to sort interested parties into the PS camp by default, if they were interested, they likely have a PS5 and bought it within the launch period.
Ive no idea where your getting the above from, but we've already seen series seen sales boosts on them just being on PC day 1. Including JRPGs. So yeah, it would have pulled in decent sales I think.

ChocoBuddy

Banned
Apr 9, 2024
It stopped the game from selling a ton more at launch.

The game had 200K CCU day 1. Day 2 and 3 (Sat and Sun) CCU only had an increase of 28K on Steam..

Still doing extremely well as indicated by OP. All I was getting at. I'm sure the circus did affect things, but the sequel to a niche game like DD1 performing like that is still great.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Ive no idea where your getting the above from, but we've already seen series seen sales boosts on them just being on PC day 1. Including JRPGs. So yeah, it would have pulled in decent sales I think.
If you're talking about Sega, Atlus, Capcom, and Namco, well, they don't have the baggage that Square saddled themselves with regarding FFVIIR's initial release strategy, and have demonstrated a fairly good release strategy on PC prior to their most successful recent releases.

Not much trust for Square in the PC community right now. It'll take a few years of good work to reverse that, and a VIIR2 day one release's performance would've made that somewhat clearer (while confusing the hell out of SE most likely). I think there might be a sales bump for Rebirth's eventual PC release once people see footage for R3 AND Square reveals it's coming to PC day one.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The Rebirth numbers are dire considering it is a 70+ dollar game now past its primary sales period and could only hit 14th overall. OG FF VII sold for half that with no premium editions to pad the revenue side.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
DD2 selling more than Rebirth even tho it released a month after it is both impressive for DD2 and sad for Rebirth.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately, it's just become clear PS5 games aren't exactly being sold in droves. Rise of the Ronin has done good... not great... I imagine SE was hoping Rebirth would have sold a lot better as well, not even a 90+ on metacritic seemed to help move units. If these games had launched Day One on PC, they would have no doubt made up the vast majority of the sales of the games.

Maybe back on PS4, a lot of PS-only games could survive on only selling to PS4 players, but it doesn't seem like the majority of PS5 games can attest to that and basically need PC ports to sell as well as PS4 games sold.
All this and the debate is about a game that cost $40 and the game prices this gen went to $70.

So basically both companies are now focusing on the other sku.

Sony pushed the disc version heavily since 2020, MS did that for the Series S.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Rebirth numbers are dire considering it is a 70+ dollar game now past its primary sales period and could only hit 14th overall. OG FF VII sold for half that with no premium editions to pad the revenue side.

OG FF7 retailed for 49.99 USD, not sure why you think it released for 34.99. It was a cultural milestone game whereas Rebirth is just another AAA game that's exclusive to one platform and ignoring the huge market growth of other competing platforms.

DD2 selling more than Rebirth even tho it released a month after it is both impressive for DD2 and sad for Rebirth.

Just another example that SE needs to go multi-platform.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

OG FF7 also had 27 years of sales on tremendous amount of platforms. Even 16 couldn't catch FF7 OG yet despite selling better than Rebirth (at least initially) and being out for 10 months.

Rebirth is definitely not gonna stay #14 forever, we dont really have a frame of reference to say how good/bad this performance is compared to other titles though. Its really more of an interesting bit of data rather than something you can really make a lot of assumptions of.

Apr 24, 2024
I mean once a game is past its initial launch period, it'll only sell like 300 copies after that. Just look at original Uncharted. Remember the joke how it was uncharted in the NPD top 20? I think it only sold like 2000 copies ever

St. Eam the 3rd

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 18, 2022
Based on estimates from enpleinjour on IBF:

2024 Q1 PS5:
  • US : -16%
  • UK : -15%
  • EU : +20%
Looking really good for PS5 for Q1 results considering last Q1 was the highest of all time in console gaming.
Was wandering about the +%:)… It's been edited to
  • US : -16%
  • UK : -15%
  • EU : 0%
  • also JP: -40%+
US is close to -25% YOY in the same timeframe as pointed by Welfare on IB

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Maybe I'm not connecting proper dots but what would that matter for console sales?
Better designed so you're not having to chose between what I think 3 Series S systems for one Series X or however the split was. The shortage was in part due to this. Also the design philosophy. If you didn't design the Series S to effectively be your price drop it's quite possible the Series X is designed in a way that's both cheaper to produce and profitable in a way those savings can be passed on to consumers. Again, the Series X has a lot of demand, just not at $499.
It's just hard to say. Without the Series S, the Series X doesn't exist. It's probably named different, designed different and powered different. Anaconda from the jump was always two systems. To get the full suite of changes you'd have to go back to 2016-17.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
The fact that people can't use their brains and that Mat has to say it out plain and clear to avoid getting heat, is kind of amazing in the worst way.
There's this really weird narrative that consoles are doomed and everyone under 30 uses PC. I have no idea why people suddenly think this way; it's something that started up this past year.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If there was only one design they'd be able to make more and thus sell more. Who knows what that console would be if it was just one SKU though.

Better designed so you're not having to chose between what I think 3 Series S systems for one Series X or however the split was. The shortage was in part due to this. Also the design philosophy. If you didn't design the Series S to effectively be your price drop it's quite possible the Series X is designed in a way that's both cheaper to produce and profitable in a way those savings can be passed on to consumers. Again, the Series X has a lot of demand, just not at $499.

It's just hard to say. Without the Series S, the Series X doesn't exist. It's probably named different, designed different and powered different. Anaconda from the jump was always two systems. To get the full suite of changes you'd have to go back to 2016-17.
The Series S continues to outpace the X tho. So, there is a customer that this system caters to that wouldn't be buying an X. Maybe if absolutely forced, I guess. It's hard to say. But the main plus for the S if you are a consumer is price point and it's not like PS5 has dropped in price with one tier of specs. So, what we'd have there is an Xbox and Playstation going head-to-head with comparable performance and the same price point.

I don't see a world where that would have ever been better for Xbox console sales.

EDIT: I'll put it another way. We seem to know from December sales that Xbox in the US market has about a 20% value proposition problem. Series X will sell quite well at $400. But, to make that box from go and forego the Series S/X approach, you are coming in quite a bit weaker than the Playstation 5. And that is also a scenario that I don't think would have been better for Xbox console sales.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
The Series S continues to outpace the X tho. So, there is a customer that this system caters to that wouldn't be buying an X. Maybe if absolutely forced, I guess. It's hard to say. But the main plus for the S if you are a consumer is price point and it's not like PS5 has dropped in price with one tier of specs. So, what we'd have there is an Xbox and Playstation going head-to-head with comparable performance and the same price point.

I don't see a world where that would have ever been better for Xbox console sales.

EDIT: I'll put it another way. We seem to know from December sales that Xbox in the US market has about a 20% value proposition problem. Series X will sell quite well at $400. But, to make that box from go and forego the Series S/X approach, you are coming in quite a bit weaker than the Playstation 5. And that is also a scenario that I don't think would have been better for Xbox console sales.
Personally I think they would have been better off selling a single discless $400 SKU and then heavily discounting it. But I mean, I guess it depends what they want out of their user base.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Very happy to see Unicorn Overlord doing so well. Rebirth seems to be doing pretty well too despite the doomsaying.