DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
We have information that Starfield cost them at least $200 million to make. Marketing might have doubled that cost.

Given that expense, does it seem likely that Microsoft would be happy for the game to have fallen to the 14th best seller one month after release? Doubtful.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
People will probably still be theorizing conspiracies about Xbox unit sales even after their revenue reporting matches or eclipses Playstation with a fraction of the unit sales.

Making a new IP from Bethesda released on fewer platforms out like it was supposed to be bigger than Bethesda's biggest multiplatform game ever when their two previous games from established IP weren't is just wild.
I mean Xbox revenue is going to exceed Sony because MS just bought on of the biggest publishers in the world. They are only going to be under Tencent at this point. That has little to do with how the Xbox is selling since a great deal of their revenue will be coming from Mobile, PC and Sony themselves.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
People will probably still be theorizing conspiracies about Xbox unit sales even after their revenue reporting matches or eclipses Playstation with a fraction of the unit sales.

Making a new IP from Bethesda released on fewer platforms out like it was supposed to be bigger than Bethesda's biggest multiplatform game ever when their two previous games from established IP weren't is just wild.
I mean we were getting platitudes like this about the game. I don't see how not to view this game as anything else but expecting it being a big hit.
Starfield_is_important.mov

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
We have information that Starfield cost them at least $200 million to make. Marketing might have doubled that cost.

Given that expense, does it seem likely that Microsoft would be happy for the game to have fallen to the 14th best seller one month after release? Doubtful.
YTD it is ranked #9 and that excludes add-on content like the Premium Add-Ons purchased for early access on game pass. Seems fine to me.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
Well yes, that's what happens when you acquire the largest third party publisher in addition to having previously acquired another large third party publisher. It helps that clearly the Xbox division isn't funding these acquisitions either and it's MS as a whole so they're not taking a hit that way either.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Then why make.... anything exclusive? Why not sell Bethesda games on PS5?

I reject your realities and substitute my own.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
theyLoveMe.gif

4th best selling game of the year and barely any time out, that's my fucking GOAT fr

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Beaten by Smitch

PS5 ahead of PS4 LTD by 9%, Xbox Series behind Xbox One 11% LTD in the US.

The Dave

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2023
Well yes, that's what happens when you acquire the largest third party publisher in addition to having previously acquired another large third party publisher. It helps that clearly the Xbox division isn't funding these acquisitions either and it's MS as a whole so they're not taking a hit that way either.

Those publishers are Xbox now though, so it's all the same. The reason MS bought them is for the money that's generated.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Well Spider-Verse is more of a spin-off (although it's becoming the big kahuna) where as NWH was the "mainline" Spider-man movie at the time. The Mario movie was obviously their mainline movie. I get the it's the same year but that just makes more sense to compare those two movies to me because that's the best showings of their true mass appeal.
That's the biggest Spider-Man movie by A LOT iirc, and the 10th movie for Spidey. Mario did a decent debut outselling every other movie prior of that I think, not sure if it will grow from that but who knows:).(… Now that I think about that that's the second movie for Mario lol)

But yeah, back to games even if it seems Mario is outselling Spider-Man in Europe and Asia right now i don't think it will close the 700k gap for the rest of the year WW l and 0% in US.
Spider-Man is the biggest Sony IP while 2d Mario is maybe the 7th for Nintendo.
But That will be fun to follow!:)
Regardless we win as both did fantastic and we will be getting more of them.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
My point exactly. Selling consoles is largely irrelevant to them.
They aren't, whatever wishful thinking may be going on. Being a console maker or platform holder (such as steam) means you get cut of third party sales, dlc, microtransactions etc. These are all lost when you lose your platform.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

This is such a massive backtrack on Starfield. The PR was that it was the biggest Bethesda launch.

View: https://x.com/bethesdastudios/status/1704246639970369954?s=46

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Starfield dropped to #14 in its second month and Xbox is getting outsold by a 7 year old Switch right now

How are these numbers good lol
Starfield is still 9th on YTD sales while being in Gamepass. It's 9th in most played. The only other single player only game in top played is Like A Dragon at 26. The console sales aren't beating the market lead but there was no expectation even by MS of that happening.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

As much as it is a good estimate for marketing costs similar to movies, the marketing was probably not anywhere near $200 million.

YTD it is ranked #9 and that excludes add-on content like the Premium Add-Ons purchased for early access on game pass. Seems fine to me.
I agree, SF is most likely doing fine and a profitable game and there is nothing to suggest otherwise. It is also likely that MS wanted the game to be significantly better than fine. Otherwise you would not use verbiage like, "one of the most important rpgs ever made."

Starfield is still 9th on YTD sales while being in Gamepass. It's 9th in most played. The only other single player only game in top played is Like A Dragon at 26. The console sales aren't beating the market lead but there was no expectation even by MS of that happening.
People were absolutely expecting XS to beat XB1 in the traditional peak year of sales.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
Can we stop with this? Hardware is key to driving Game Pass subs (which they've missed pretty projections hugely in the past year or two).
well...is kind of a conundrum for Xbox really, not as easy as "they care" or "they dont care"

is not irrelevant, buuuut they're playing the LONG game within the console market, Microsoft is probably thinking about the next years not in the current sea, COD as an exclusive at some point, couple of new IPs that can rival Sony and Nintendo huge stuff, and even Gamepass dominating subscription services.

they wont abandon hardware but i dont think even they expect to move the needle without something with the impact of a BOTW.

If they expected Starfield to be that...yeah, thats unlucky because will a success, it wasnt like...an EVENT, but is not like is their last chance.

Deleted member 12823

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 22, 2022
well...is kind of a conundrum for Xbox really, not as easy as "they care" or "they dont care"

is not irrelevant, buuuut they're playing the LONG game within the console market, Microsoft is probably thinking about the next years not in the current sea, COD as an exclusive at some point, couple of new IPs that can rival Sony and Nintendo huge stuff, and even Gamepass dominating subscription services.

they wont abandon hardware but i dont think even they expect to move the needle without something with the impact of a BOTW.

If they expected Starfield to be that...yeah, thats unlucky because will a success, it wasnt like...an EVENT, but is not like is their last chance.
Let's not forget..The GameCube and OG XBOX had no shortage of great 1st party games( ok mainly the gamecube but the Xbox still had Halo 2 and a few others) ...yet they never took off because the competition was so strong.
They aren't even trying in so many countries still while PS and Nintendo are becoming more entrenched.
in the hardware side...even if after so many years they finally had something at that BOTW level( which I wouldn't bet on).. people would either skip it or play on PC gamepass as opposed to buying a Xbox console.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 and Series consoles are literally going in the opposite direction.

It sure would appear so and considering now is when consoles is suppose to peak, I do worry for the Series S and X consoles. I think Sony haven't got everything right with the PS5 era doing so far and big 1st party developers on their part not releasing a new game for the system, you'd think the gap might only get bigger really.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man 2 doing very will very curious how a AAA Wolverine game will do.
With Insomniac developing it, it's sure to do well.

I can't believe once upon a time some of us thought Sucker Punch was making the 2018 game, and were like...why....when it was revealed to be Insomniac, lol.

NineBall

May 22, 2022

Number in YTD is meaningless. MK1 outsold it in US and WB said MK1 sold 3m worldwide. So Starfield is below that in US.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

I can't believe once upon a time some of us thought Sucker Punch was making the 2018 game, and were like...why....when it was revealed to be Insomniac, lol.
Yeah those where crazy time lol, but SP was working on something just as great.

Im excited to see that as well. Been too long since we had either a good X-Men or Wolvie game.
Yeah I never got a change to play origins would love to see it on the store one day.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021

Haha who would have thought that simple reveal when looking back at it will lead to all of this now.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
Let's not forget..The GameCube and OG XBOX had no shortage of great 1st party games( ok mainly the gamecube but the Xbox still had Halo 2 and a few others) ...yet they never took off because the competition was so strong.
They aren't even trying in so many countries still while PS and Nintendo are becoming more entrenched.
in the hardware side...even if after so many years they finally had something at that BOTW level( which I wouldn't bet on).. people would either skip it or play on PC gamepass as opposed to buying a Xbox console.
OG Xbox were different times, this day and age even with the huge hit of the One, the Xbox brand is at least recognizable.

but i agree, is gonna get significantly harder as time goes on, it will definetly be interesting if they can develop THAT game.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It sure would appear so and considering now is when consoles is suppose to peak, I do worry for the Series S and X consoles. I think Sony haven't got everything right with the PS5 era doing so far and big 1st party developers on their part not releasing a new game for the system, you'd think the gap might only get bigger really.
that's even more worrying, no?