• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
The developers apparently just snuck this in yesterday. The newest canary builds now allow Switch Pro/DS4/Steam controllers (as well as android phones with motion) to provide motion data to games, allowing the gyro to function pretty much just like it would on an actual 3DS system.

In order to do it, you'll need to set your controller up for cemuhook- there's a guide here that will explain how to do it for each controller type. Once configured, you should be able to open Citra and go to the menu at configure>input>motion, choose cemuhookUDP from the dropdown box, and start playing. I'm sure the Citra team will post a better guide soon.

I recorded a quick little demo of the shooting gallery minigame in Majora's Mask 3D with it- no audio, but you can see how the controller movements translate to in-game aiming (the padtest displays false jitters when pressing a button). This was done with the Switch Pro controller:

It seems to work really well. The only downside is that this conflicts with the ability to use Steam's support, which was really useful for handling the touch interface stuff on a gamepad.

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a list of 3DS games using gyro control? I now Mario Kart 7 does, and the 3D Zeldas, and Wario Ware Gold obviously, but can't remember any more at the moment.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Nice! Last time I tested OOT on it I went to the archery mini game, forgot how much harder that was without the motion controls...hopefully the Steam support issue gets sorted in time, I could imagine the Steam controller track pads being handy for the touch screen.

Can't wait until the emulator gets ubershaders or something similar to eliminate stutters, either way the progress made so far is positively staggering.

OP
OP
Nerrel

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a list of 3DS games using gyro control? I now Mario Kart 7 does, and the 3D Zeldas, and Wario Ware Gold obviously, but can't remember any more at the moment.

Starfox 64 3D and RE Revelations also make heavy use of it. I never really used the gyro in those games since face tracking wasn't available and the 3D would break, but both games should benefit a lot from having it on PC. Snake Eater also used it, although I think it was limited to balancing on ropes rather than shooting.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I've wanted to play more Citra but it's been hit and miss for me on some games. Plus, when we getting it playable in 3D through a VR headset?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty funny the impetus for this was Raj's work on getting gyro to work on a Wii U emulator first