• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
The film and TV rights for Clue have landed at Sony, with Hasbro Entertainment closing a deal with TriStar Pictures and Sony Pictures Television to develop adaptations of the classic murder mystery board game.
Clue, the game, has players figure out who is responsible for a murder in a cast of characters that includes Professor Plum, Colonel Mustard, Mrs. White, and Miss Scarlet. The location of the murder (dining room, kitchen, ballroom, etc.) and weapon (velvet rope, lamp, knife, etc.) is also deciphered.
The board game was previously adapted into a 1985 comedy that starred Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, and Christopher Lloyd, among others. While the film performed poorly at the box office and debuted to lukewarm reviews, Clue, which was written and directed by Jonathan Lynn, has since reached cult status. Over the years, other versions were in the works, with Ryan Reynolds at one point attached to star in a 20th Century adaptation from Deadpool scribes Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.
Clue is the latest for development deal Hasbro, which spun off film and TV unit eOne last year and has been partnering with studios to produce film based on its toy and game IP.
Hasbro recently announced that it would be working with Lionsgate on a Monopoly movie that has Margot Robbie's LuckyChap attached to produce, following its success with Barbie. The company worked with Paramount — the studio behind Transformers franchise (another Hasbro property) — on the 2023 release of a Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, which grossed over $200 million at the global box office.
Said Hasbro film boss Zev Foreman and TV head Gabriel Marano, "Sony is the perfect partner to adapt a property as culturally impactful and mystery-defining as Clue. Nicole Brown, Katherine Pope, and their teams are tremendous creative collaborators and ideal partners to help us figure out after 75 years if it was Colonel Mustard in the conservatory with the candlestick."
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Clue Film and TV Rights Land at Sony

Hasbro Entertainment will work with the studio on adaptations of the classic board game.
variety.com

‘Clue’ Film, TV Adaptations in the Works Under New Deal Between Hasbro and Sony

"Clue" could soon be heading back to the screen.

dphrygian

Oct 28, 2017
Texas
Heck yes, I'm always up for a good comedy mystery. Just don't repeat the different endings in each cinema gimmick.

Edit: Between Game Night and D&D: Honor Among Thieves, John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein would be an obvious choice to helm this.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I actually feel like this could be a banger movie if its tone is focused on being a comedy with some serious moments. Like, this could legitimately have a Barbie-like moment in pop culture with the right cast and tone.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
They should repeat the different endings that the theatrical run had.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Don't think it could ever match the original.... Too many comic geniuses

But I'll be happy to see them try

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I actually feel like this could be a banger movie if its tone is focused on being a comedy with some serious moments. Like, this could legitimately have a Barbie-like moment in pop culture with the right cast and tone.

20 different movies that are just the different combinations of people

like... Professor Plum with the candlestick in the dining room

the the next movie is Colonel Mustard in the bathroom with a gun

the movie from the 80s is great, so there's not really anything i'd like to see them retread. maybe a more "serious go" at an adaptation but with all of the variances as different movies would be an interesting project.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?" "You don't need any help from me sir..." "That's right!"

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you were right that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus two plus one plus one.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The original Clue film is one of my favorite movies ever, but I am absolutely down for a new film

I think what it boils down to is a mix of cast chemistry and solid writing.

The 80's movie had some of the best comedic performers and improvers in the industry at the time, so I feel like, if you want to do something in the same vein, you should tap into the same. Cast the film with some of the best comedic performers and improvers of our current time.

Knives Out is a great current example of what a modern Clue film could be, as it had a similarly strong cast, with great comedic timing in between the more heartfelt bits.

I rewatch Clue at least once a year, and now I want to revisit again lol

Good luck to whomever they get to spearhead this, but hopefully it's just fun.

If they were to do it as a series, I'd be interested to see how they approach it. I think having an unreliable narrator would allow them to play with the "multiple endings" of the board game and original film. Perhaps each episode is a self contained mystery, with a different set up (but same core cast), and each episode ends with the revelation of a different killer, until the final episode of the season, where we find out "what really happened."

Each Season can have an new cast of actors, and a new core mystery, but the same format of whodunnit each episode.

It'd be ridiculous, but could be fun, especially if they nail the casting for each season or episode.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing dumber than this would be someone trying to remake It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Probably do something stupid like have John Cleese and Mr Bean in it or something.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I bet they can get a huge cast for this.

Dunno if they would do a Wadsworth character since he isn't in the game, but if they do, the success of the movie depends on who they cast. Tim Curry was absolutely perfect in that role.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's like...FLAMES...................................

............ON THE SIDES OF MY FACE!

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Sony about to make a live service game.

Colonel Mustard GaaS.

I'll see myself out.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
pre-Knives Out I would've said this would be worthwhile, but nowadays I feel like it's not needed. Just watch Knives Out.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The original Clue movie is one of those rare adaptations that's actually vastly better than the thing it's adapting.

Clue the boardgame is pretty bad.

pre-Knives Out I would've said this would be worthwhile, but nowadays I feel like it's not needed. Just watch Knives Out.
Or the original Clue movie. Which is at least as good as Knives Out.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
'Communism was a red herring'.

One of my favourite comfort movies, alongside...Back To The Future - still blows my mind career wise this was effectively back to back jobs in the same year for Christopher Lloyd. Such starkly different performance, movies and genres and he nails them both so effortlessly.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
20 different movies that are just the different combinations of people

like... Professor Plum with the candlestick in the dining room

the the next movie is Colonel Mustard in the bathroom with a gun

the movie from the 80s is great, so there's not really anything i'd like to see them retread. maybe a more "serious go" at an adaptation but with all of the variances as different movies would be an interesting project.
This is the only way to do a sequel/reboot.

If it's done as a regional thing you can then just release a different regions cut when it hits streaming. Hell with streaming you can rotate the version weekly. The whole time the director, producer and company should be denying there are different cuts. Just straight up denial, like helldivers is doing with their official communications at the moment (such as flying bugs don't exist, etc), "You know how things are, there are scenes and sub plots that don't make the final cut, happens in most films"

It could actually do something different, like the alternate endings in the original but turned up.