Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Confederate Flag Banned From CMA Music Fest In Commitment To Make Event More Inclusive

Next week's CMA Fest will feature hundreds of the hottest acts in Country Music. One thing it will not feature is the Confederate flag.
Next week's CMA Fest in Nashville will feature hundreds of the hottest acts in Country Music. One thing it will not feature, however, is the Confederate flag.

Along with drones, bikes and drug paraphernalia, the festival's list of prohibited items and activities now includes "Confederate flag imagery of any kind."

Some country musicians have, over the decades, wrapped themselves — or their stage setup — in the Confederate flag. Charlie Daniels, Trace Adkins and Luke Combs have all faced blowback for associating themselves with the symbol. Adkins and Combs apologized.

This year's prohibition comes as Combs is among the top acts on the bill. So is Darius Rucker, who is Black.

"This year's CMA Fest is our first major fan-facing event in nearly three years. We have always had policies in place that protect the safety of our fans and ban discrimination, but we felt it was important to further refine our language to explicitly outline what will and will not be tolerated," reads the CMA statement.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, that ain't going to go over well with a lot of people in that fanbase lol, but still good. I kind of wonder if they'll stick to it, though, or quietly allow it again once they get closer to the event and hope it doesn't get reported on as much.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Good. Fuck that flag, everything it stands for, and everyone who tries to justify it's uses by pretending it isn't what it is.
The audacity to wave that fucking thing around.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
remember when the confederacy made an official flag that was mostly white as an explicit symbol of white supremacy but it was too easily confused with a surrender flag

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Maren Morris really pushed for this at Stagecoach and a lot of the non-mainstream artists have been pushing for it for years. Nice to see the CMA's follow the flow.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Very good news. I wonder if/how many "mainstream" country fans will end up feeling alienated by this "wokism", and if the explicitly racist events in the US will see more support/become more mainstream.

I'm imagining a wave of country fans having to come out of the racist closet so they can be named and shamed...and can then argue that they're being unfairly persecuted for their "politics".

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I want to see that guy that has to enforce this...
49415599-union-army-reenactors-civil-war-reenactment-at-anderson-california-.jpg

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
About time. Hope the racist traitor losers will cry a tantrum about it and decide not to show up.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It was the main story on the website of my local ABC station a few days ago that Alan Jackson had cancelled his appearance at this event for undisclosed reasons. I assume this is why.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
It was the main story on the website of my local ABC station a few days ago that Alan Jackson had cancelled his appearance at this event for undisclosed reasons. I assume this is why.

I read a story about it but supposedly he's got a disease that makes it difficult for him to walk which was the rumored reason he dropped out.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Ehhh, that's a bit of a broad stoke there. There is plenty of overlap but lots of non racists like country.
Not to mention many talented black country artists.

I've always assumed racists moved on to the Don't Tread On Me flag, to be honest. Surprised they haven't reclaimed Georgia's flag as a more subtle display, but it might be a little too over their heads.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Not to mention many talented black country artists.

I've always assumed racists moved on to the Don't Tread On Me flag, to be honest. Surprised they haven't reclaimed Georgia's flag as a more subtle display, but it might be a little too over their heads.

The Confederate flag is still heavily used. Those two are usually used together

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the CMAs responsible for Charlie Pride's death a couple years ago? I'm glad they're banning the flag but they need to receive some kind of comeuppance for that.

Edit: I read that the CMAs and Pride's estate say they don't think he was exposed at the awards. But I still find the timing suspect.