Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized, would the government step in due to monopoly concerns? If this goes through, Disney would own two major broadcast networks, ABC & FOX.
They won't. I imagine any part of the deal would mean the FOX broadcast network would no longer exist as FOX (which will still exists for News and Sports) wouldn't want it to. That said, even if it did still exist, no way the Trump-led government blocks it. Fox News is his favorite thing and they -want- this to happen.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's going to happen with FOX channel when most assets bought by Disney?

What's going to happen with Bob's Burgers?? If Disney doesn't change or kill these FOX shows, then I'm happy with this but 20th Century FOX holds many MANY franchises.

And Universal (Studios) are in the shit if this goes through.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having such a hate-boner for Disney that you think they'd look at the near $800m in box office receipts from Deadpool and say "nah."
They may keep it but make it PG-13. If I were a Disney Exec, I would be thinking, "it would have made much more if it could be released and marketed in China, where we have 2 Disneylands." MCU movies usually have their 2nd best box office showing in China.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized, would the government step in due to monopoly concerns? If this goes through, Disney would own two major broadcast networks, ABC & FOX.
Personally, from that point of view I really think government should step in. I know Marvel fans don't want to here it, but Disney is starting to look like a corporation from Dredd.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
They dumped them less than 7 years ago because they didn't see it fitting with their overall brand.
If they just cared about money they could've kept Miramax and kept releasing "adult" movies.
It's easy to look at their release schedule to see that their movie focus is Star Wars, MCU, the occasional Pirates movie, Pixar, Disney Animation and live action remakes of Disney Animations.

The Netflix stuff doesn't change their movie focus. They release a lot of sitcoms on ABC and ABC Family but I don't think you'll see a romantic comedy, horror movie or even a non-tv kids movie come out on Disney's release schedule. Those movies make money as well but Disney's schedule is now focused on hitting $700 million to a billion per release. It is hard to see them fitting in an R-rated movie if the historical trends show that there are limits to the box office potential (such as not being released in the second largest market, China).
If where going by that metric than Deadpool would be fine considering it did nearly 800 million.

Fox owns quite a lot of adult properties and if Disney wants to buy them this badly it wouldn't make any sense to buy if they weren't planning on doing something with them.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What's going to happen with Bob's Burgers?? If Disney doesn't change or kill these FOX shows, then I'm happy with this but 20th Century FOX holds many MANY franchises.

The current running shows on FOX would probably end up on ABC or Disneyflix -- or cancelled. The back catalog would certainly be on Disneyflix (and would be a boon for boosting that service). Stuff like The Simpsons and Family Guy are definitely valuable.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The current running shows on FOX would probably end up on ABC or Disneyflix -- or cancelled. The back catalog would certainly be on Disneyflix (and would be a boon for boosting that service). Stuff like The Simpsons and Family Guy are definitely valuable.
ABC has a lot of programs in that channel, they cannot cram everything. I guess they can create a new channel...

But anyway that's what I'm afraid of. "Cancelled". I think Bob's Burgers is popular enough to not get cancelled by Disney, but I hope Disney like they are doing with Marvel is to leave these franchises alone and let them continue doing their own thing.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Heck, I think when Disney launches their own streaming services and doesn't renew Netflix shows they will kill hard-R MCU shows as well.

Highly disagree. Disney knows there is an audience for that type of thing for them and they know that audience is willing to pay for that content. They also know that audience is not an insignificant amount of people (based on the data we have about viewing numbers of the Netflix stuff).

Disney's not stupid.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
If where going by that metric than Deadpool would be fine considering it did nearly 800 million.

Fox owns quite a lot of adult properties and if Disney wants to buy them this badly it wouldn't make any sense to buy if they weren't planning on doing something with them.

I am still doubtful that they would keep an R-rating and limit the ability to use the property in China. I am extremely doubtful they would do it for other X-Men and F4 characters, as Fox currently has planned with New Mutants and Dr. Doom.
That wasn't his question though.
The FCC document says they can't be owned by the same owner either.

Here are the actual rules:
47 C.F.R. §73.658(g)
Dual network operation. A television broadcast station may affiliate with a person or entity that maintains two or more networks of television broadcast stations unless such dual or multiple networks are composed of two or more persons or entities that, on February 8, 1996, were "networks" as defined in § 73.3613(a)(1) of the Commission's regulations (that is, ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC).

§ 73.3613(a)(1)
All network affiliation contracts, agreements, or understandings between a TV broadcast or low power TV station and a national network. For the purposes of this paragraph the term network means any person, entity, or corporation which offers an interconnected program service on a regular basis for 15 or more hours per week to at least 25 affiliated television licensees in 10 or more states; and/or any person, entity, or corporation controlling, controlled by, or under common control with such person, entity, or corporation.

It basically prohibits TV stations with affiliating with Fox or ABC if they come under common control. So if Disney bought the Fox channels, all ABC and Fox affiliates would have to cancel their contracts and Fox and ABC would lose all their affiliates.

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ABC has a lot of programs in that channel, they cannot cram everything. I guess they can create a new channel...

But anyway that's what I'm afraid of. "Cancelled". I think Bob's Burgers is popular enough to not get cancelled by Disney, but I hope Disney like they are doing with Marvel is to leave these franchises alone and let them continue doing their own thing.

FOX already cancels shows on the reg. All the networks do. Plenty of shows currently airing on FOX will be cancelled this year regardless. If this change happened tomorrow the only real difference would be that Disney/ABC is deciding which shows get cancelled rather than FOX. It's a very minor short-term "problem" that wouldn't be a further issue after this TV season ends.

Like I said before, Fox's animation properties are valuable. Disney would certainly find a place for them on one of their networks or their streaming platform in 2019. Live-action shows would be the ones in more immediate jeopardy. Stuff like "The Mick" or "Lethal Weapon." Again though, I feel like plenty from Fox's current lineup (The Orville, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, New Girl... for some examples) can easily mesh with ABC's brand and end up there or on one of Disney's other networks. Marvel also already co-produces The Gifted.

Disney would get some channels including FXX

This is true too though. And Disney also has A&E and Freeform.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
But if Disney owns all of Fox's non-sports and news productions and IPs, what does the FOX broadcast network become at that point? Purely syndication?

As somebody employed at a Fox affiliate? I really, REALLY fucking hope not.

I'm kind of enthusiastic about Disney buying up film rights, for example, but the question of what effect this will have on the numerous affiliate stations is pretty important. We may produce independent news content, but Fox Sports and primetime programming drive a huge chunk of our ratings. And in our area, all the affiliate licenses are spoken for, so if Fox just blips away... well, things will be very rough in the broadcast world.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're not thinking about the obvious loopholes this situation is presenting. Fox is going to continue to exist as a company. They are not merging. They are selling assets. The FOX network and ABC network also aren't merging in this scenario. Some assets are just being transferred from one parent company to another.

Yes, the FOX channel will probably be dissolved following this deal, but that isn't in violation of the FCC broadcast rules. At this point the broadcast rules are woefully outdated anyhow with more and more people cord cutting and The Internet existing.

As somebody employed at a Fox affiliate? I really, REALLY fucking hope not.

I'm kind of enthusiastic about Disney buying up film rights, for example, but the question of what effect this will have on the numerous affiliate stations is pretty important. We may produce independent news content, but Fox Sports and primetime programming drive a huge chunk of our ratings. And in our area, all the affiliate licenses are spoken for, so if Fox just blips away... well, things will be very rough in the broadcast world.

This is actually a really good question that I don't think anyone has the answer to. It will be extremely interesting to see what happens to Fox Affiliates nationwide in the event of a sale.

Oct 31, 2017
They may keep it but make it PG-13. If I were a Disney Exec, I would be thinking, "it would have made much more if it could be released and marketed in China, where we have 2 Disneylands." MCU movies usually have their 2nd best box office showing in China.

China is not necessarily averse to R rated movies. Logan, for example, was released there. I would have Deadpool as is here in the US and edit out the sex scenes or whatever for a China release.

But if Disney owns all of Fox's non-sports and news productions and IPs, what does the FOX broadcast network become at that point? Purely syndication?

Good question. I would think they would keep those crappy reality shows and shit like Steve Harvey show going because those get good ratings. For any movie/tv show content, I would think they would go with a licensing model. They could also order stuff to production as well. I think they would mostly keep with non scripted programming though.

That wasn't his question though.

He asked if Disney owning two major broadcast networks, ABC & FOX, would cause monopoly concerns. And it would, but it's not part of the deal.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
You're not thinking about the obvious loopholes this situation is presenting. Fox is going to continue to exist as a company. They are not merging. They are selling assets. The FOX network and ABC network also aren't merging in this scenario. Some assets are just being transferred from one parent company to another.

Yes, the FOX channel will probably be dissolved following this deal, but that isn't in violation of the FCC broadcast rules. At this point the broadcast rules are woefully outdated anyhow with more and more people cord cutting and The Internet existing.

This is actually a really good question that I don't think anyone has the answer to. It will be extremely interesting to see what happens to Fox Affiliates nationwide in the event of a sale.
Yes, I am. See my quotation of the actual rules:

47 C.F.R. §73.658(g)
Dual network operation. A television broadcast station may affiliate with a person or entity that maintains two or more networks of television broadcast stations unless such dual or multiple networks are composed of two or more persons or entities that, on February 8, 1996, were "networks" as defined in § 73.3613(a)(1) of the Commission's regulations (that is, ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC).

§ 73.3613(a)(1)
All network affiliation contracts, agreements, or understandings between a TV broadcast or low power TV station and a national network. For the purposes of this paragraph the term network means any person, entity, or corporation which offers an interconnected program service on a regular basis for 15 or more hours per week to at least 25 affiliated television licensees in 10 or more states; and/or any person, entity, or corporation controlling, controlled by, or under common control with such person, entity, or corporation.

It basically prohibits TV stations with affiliating with Fox or ABC if they come under common control. So if Disney bought the Fox channels, all ABC and Fox affiliates would have to cancel their contracts and Fox and ABC would lose all their affiliates.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, the thought of that is insane to me. Because what happens to all the affiliates if the Murdochs decide that FOX just "dissolves" after the deal is done?
No one knows. It's kind of unprecedented. I mean UPN did merge with WB network around a decade ago, but that situation was a bit different.

Since they want to keep Fox Sports, maybe they keep the affiliates. But I'm not sure what other content they'd be providing them. I'm not sure how they would survive without primetime scripted shows.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good question. I would think they would keep those crappy reality shows and shit like Steve Harvey show going because those get good ratings. For any movie/tv show content, I would think they would go with a licensing model. They could also order stuff to production as well. I think they would mostly keep with non scripted programming though.

It wouldn't make sense for them to dive back into licensing and such. The whole reason this deal is happening based on what we know is because the Murdochs (or one of them at least) wants to get out of the entertainment arms race. So why use that as your reasoning to get out only to throw one foot back in it by operating the FOX broadcast network with licensing deals and non-scripted productions that put you right back into the thing you are claiming you want out of?

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I am still doubtful that they would keep an R-rating and limit the ability to use the property in China. I am extremely doubtful they would do it for other X-Men and F4 characters, as Fox currently has planned with New Mutants and Dr. Doom.

Here are the actual rules:
47 C.F.R. §73.658(g)

China is not necessarily averse to R rated movies. Logan, for example, was released there. I would have Deadpool as is here in the US and edit out the sex scenes or whatever for a China release.

He asked if Disney owning two major broadcast networks, ABC & FOX, would cause monopoly concerns. And it would, but it's not part of the deal.
I thought he was asking about buying the company sorry

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
F4 back is great, same with Xmen (as long as we get mature movies like Logan and Deadpool, don't you dare ruin that)

numble

Oct 25, 2017

There isn't a way to edit out the content that is not available in China. The China Logan cut out scenes of gore and needed to cut out 10% of the scenes. They even cut out scenes showing horses getting hurt. I don't know what you're left with if you cut out dirty jokes, sex scenes, and gore in Deadpool.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No one knows. It's kind of unprecedented. I mean UPN did merge with WB network around a decade ago, but that situation was a bit different.

Since they want to keep Fox Sports, maybe they keep the affiliates. But I'm not sure what other content they'd be providing them. I'm not sure how they would survive without primetime scripted shows.

The presence of FS1 complicates this, but if they really want to push all-in on sports, it's possible they could go hard after TV deals and try to get live sports most nights of the week on FOX proper to replace the primetime programming they would lose. Like make deals with the NHL, NBA, NCAA, etc. to make sure you have a spread of variety every night of the week or so. They're going to have a lot to spend if they suddenly don't have 80% of what they spend on now.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I am. See my quotation of the actual rules:

47 C.F.R. §73.658(g)

I don't read it quite that way, but I'm not a lawyer so maybe I'm completely wrong here. But reading that statute it seems to me that as long as Disney does not acquire the Fox affiliates and continue to run them in addition to the ABC affiliates, which I don't believe they have any plan to, they're in the clear.

Again, the Fox company is not merging. They've stated an intent to keep some assets and sell others. IP has been bought and sold many many times in this industry. Shows have also moved from one network to another before.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I'd imagine that shows like Bob's Burgers are successful enough for Disney to leave them alone.

Speaking of the deal, ComicBookCast2 brought up an interesting point about the Disney-Fox deal's impact on the X-Men. Short version, don't expect the X-Men to get folded into the MCU immediately due to pre-existing contracts & whatnot. It may happen later once the contracts with Michael Fassbender & whatnot start to expire, but they have pre-existing deals to honor. The Fantastic Four on the other hand I can see getting folded into the MCU ASAP. Hell, the upcoming Doctor Doom movie is probably early enough in production to be re-purposed as Doom's introduction into the MCU.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
I don't read it quite that way, but I'm not a lawyer so maybe I'm completely wrong here. But reading that statute it seems to me that as long as Disney does not acquire the Fox affiliates and continue to run them in addition to the ABC affiliates, which I don't believe they have any plan to, they're in the clear.

Again, the Fox company is not merging. They've stated an intent to keep some assets and sell others. IP has been bought and sold many many times in this industry. Shows have also moved from one network to another before.
The question asked was about the situation of a Disney buying the Fox network. The answers in this conversation thread are about FCC rules prohibiting that.

Affiliates are not owned by the networks. They sign affiliate contracts with Fox or Disney. The FCC rule says that you cannot affiliate with Fox or ABC if it is under common control of an entity that owns both Fox and ABC.

Nothing in the actual rule talks about a merger.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine that shows like Bob's Burgers are successful enough for Disney to leave them alone.

Speaking of the deal, ComicBookCast2 brought up an interesting point about the Disney-Fox deal's impact on the X-Men. Short version, don't expect the X-Men to get folded into the MCU immediately due to pre-existing contracts & whatnot. It may happen later once the contracts with Michael Fassbender & whatnot start to expire, but they have pre-existing deals to honor. The Fantastic Four on the other hand I can see getting folded into the MCU ASAP. Hell, the upcoming Doctor Doom movie is probably early enough in production to be re-purposed as Doom's introduction into the MCU.
Nah, this is all meaningless. Contracts always favor the studio/network. Plenty of actors get let out of their contracts. To stick with Marvel, think about how they just abruptly stopped with The Amazing Spider-Man series despite Andrew Garfield's contract "not being finished".

Oct 31, 2017
It wouldn't make sense for them to dive back into licensing and such. The whole reason this deal is happening based on what we know is because the Murdochs (or one of them at least) wants to get out of the entertainment arms race. So why use that as your reasoning to get out only to throw one foot back in it by operating the FOX broadcast network with licensing deals and non-scripted productions that put you right back into the thing you are claiming you want out of?

I mostly agree with you though there are advantages of doing licensing deals for scripted content on a per need basis.

There isn't a way to edit out the content that is not available in China. The China Logan cut out scenes of gore and needed to cut out 10% of the scenes. They even cut out scenes showing horses getting hurt. I don't know what you're left with if you cut out dirty jokes, sex scenes, and gore in Deadpool.

If it's not feasible to change and edit the movie for a China release, then I wouldn't release it there. The studios only get 25% of the gross in China and SH movies only do around 100-120MM at the BO, and DP would probably do something similar. Would an extra 20-30MM from China be worthy? Depends on the cost and feasibility of doing those edits and I wouldn't change any creative control because of wanting to release in China.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nah, this is all meaningless. Contracts always favor the studio/network. Plenty of actors get let out of their contracts. To stick with Marvel, think about how they just abruptly stopped with The Amazing Spider-Man series despite Andrew Garfield's contract "not being finished".
But at the same time, the people at Fox still need to secure their jobs after the buy-out (if it happens), right?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The question asked was about the situation of a Disney buying the Fox network. The answers in this conversation thread are about FCC rules prohibiting that.

Affiliates are not owned by the networks. They sign affiliate contracts with Fox or Disney. The FCC rule says that you cannot affiliate with Fox or ABC if it is under common control of an entity that owns both Fox and ABC.

Nothing in the actual rule talks about a merger.

You are correct, the FCC rule doesn't talk about a merger, my mistake. However, Fox and ABC would not be under common control of an entity that owns both Fox and ABC. In every possible scenario we're talking about Fox still exists as a Sports and News broadcaster not under Disney ownership, but under Newscorp.

But at the same time, the people at Fox still need to secure their jobs after the buy-out (if it happens), right?
I imagine it will work like every other company that is sold or shuttered. Execs will gets a nice cushy payout. Some people will find new jobs in the new organizations. People lower on the food chain will get fucked and have to use their contacts to find work elsewhere.

Oct 25, 2017
They won't, Disney doesn't want the Fox channel or Fox news and certainly won't be taking on the entirety of 20th Century Fox's film production(and thus market share).
television production would be the only division that they would be largely growing in(and in that department Disney is way behind the competition).

numble

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly agree with you though there are advantages of doing licensing deals for scripted content on a per need basis.

If it's not feasible to change and edit the movie for a China release, then I wouldn't release it there. The studios only get 25% of the gross in China and SH movies only do around 100-120MM at the BO, and DP would probably do something similar. Would an extra 20-30MM from China be worthy? Depends on the cost and feasibility of doing those edits and I wouldn't change any creative control because of wanting to release in China.
You are ignoring the growth of the Chinese box office (this year so far China is $7.5 billion, up from $6.6 billion last year and compared to $8.8 billion this year in the US), the fact that the 25% share is up for negotiation this year (the 25% deal is part of a WTO settlement, the US could try to fully litigate for the Chinese distribution market to be fully opened at the WTO, but it is more likely there will be some further concessions from China), and the fact that Disney has put 2 Disneylands in China due to their recognition of the importance of the market.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Man, reading all the "generic/mediocre" posts and tweets about MCU movies is like we are talking about Underworld / Resident Evil franchises. If that deal would go through it's certainly not set in stone that Marvel/Disney would not let some movies get their own flavor or do R rated content (like Deadpool / Logan) with their asset.

I agree though that Disney is really is getting scary with how much IPs they own and their reach in entertainment media.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see some really wishful thinking in terms of Marvel Studios keeping parts of FOX's X-Men franchise. Remember what happened when Disney acquired Star Wars? Clone Wars cancelled, all video games cancelled, novels cancelled, EU ejected. They're not gonna keep Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see some really wishful thinking in terms of Marvel Studios keeping parts of FOX's X-Men franchise. Remember what happened when Disney acquired Star Wars? Clone Wars cancelled, all video games cancelled, novels cancelled, EU ejected. They're not gonna keep Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

Deadpool was incredibly successful. They will likely cut the fat though but Deadpool is by no means part of that.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poeple also thought Disney would throw out the prequels. Didn't happen. Remained canon and gets referenced in the tv shows, comics, and books constantly.

Star Wars only threw out the tie-in media after the purchase.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Poeple also thought Disney would throw out the prequels. Didn't happen. Remained canon and gets referenced in the tv shows, comics, and books constantly.

Star Wars only threw out the tie-in media after the purchase.
Zero chance they wont relaunch the entire X-Men line for introducing it into the MCU.
But that doesnt mean they would need to recast Reynolds. The new jokes write themself.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Why would they scrap everything, especially Deadpool? If this Deal goes through, I think they'll just have another production studio and let them be. In regards to the whole marvel character licenses, Marvel Studios will take what they want (FF4) and let the ones they don't really need right now (Deadpool) at Fox, they can crossover how and whenever they want.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Mega Disney is the dark future Verhoeven has been warning us about the whole time.
Come on Paramount, make an offer! I'm sure they still have like 200 bucks lying around somewhere.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Why would they scrap everything, especially Deadpool? If this Deal goes through, I think they'll just have another production studio and let them be. In regards to the whole marvel character licenses, Marvel Studios will take what they want (FF4) and let the ones they don't really need right now (Deadpool) at Fox, they can crossover how and whenever they want.
Pretty much... This doesn't mean everything just gets folded into Disney with Disney labels of "restrictions", if anything they'd just use Touchstone (if not 21 Century Fox if they can) as the distributor of more adult stuff just as they have for over 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.