Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I really, really, really, REALLY want this to happen. The X-Men and the Fantastic 4 need to return home.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I could see the X-Men thing going a whole bunch of ways. I know fans want it in the MCU, but it's a successful and long-standing franchise unto itself, with its own dedicated fanbase. I could see Disney/Marvel finding value in continuing the franchise as is. Plus, rebooting into the MCU would mean upping the number of MCU films by 1-2 films a year, which might be a bit much for them.

Fantastic Four on the other hand, that's instant no-brainer MCU material.

Logan might as well have been an ending

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Honestly, I could see the X-Men thing going a whole bunch of ways. I know fans want it in the MCU, but it's a successful and long-standing franchise unto itself, with its own dedicated fanbase. I could see Disney/Marvel finding value in continuing the franchise as is. Plus, rebooting into the MCU would mean upping the number of MCU films by 1-2 films a year, which might be a bit much for them.

Fantastic Four on the other hand, that's instant no-brainer MCU material.

There is literally zero chance that Disney doesn't put X-Men in the MCU if they buy Fox.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm guessing Dark Phoenix will still be released but it'll be the finale for the Fox X-Men universe.

It finished filming a few weeks back but I honestly, if Disney buys Fox before the end of the year, I could actually see them shelving the whole damn thing so that they can give X-Men movies a breather before rebooting in the MCU.

90% of what I just said in this post is actually just my personal hope.

Later that month, Kinberg stated that he wanted the film to be "human" and emotional like the previous X-Men films, and that he was looking to ground the "Dark Phoenix Saga" story for his adaptation "so it's not too intergalactic".

Because fuck that.

Ilovehotmoms

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fox having distribution rights to ANH had nothing to do with anything. There are no currently existing unedited masters for the OT, and Disney/Lucasfilm simply haven't gotten around to mounting the restoration efforts. And I'm not sure whether Disney has to share ANH profits with Fox has much to do with anything for us as consumers. That was never preventing us from getting anything in particular.

Star Wars fans need to move on because it's never gonna happen.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It finished filming a few weeks back but I honestly, if Disney buys Fox before the end of the year, I could actually see them shelving the whole damn thing so that they can give X-Men movies a breather before rebooting in the MCU.

90% of what I just said in this post is actually just my personal hope.

Because fuck that.
Don't they have other X-Men movies in the pipeline?

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, let's say that Disney buys Fox. What happens to Ryan Reynolds? Do they recast Deadpool? Do they just continue the current Deadpool movie series? Do they reboot but keep Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, maybe making jokes about Deadpool jumping from one continuity to another?

I can't see them incorporating Deadpool 1 and 2 in the MCU, the School for Gifted Youngsters is already established and seemingly publicly known in the first movie.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Don't they have other X-Men movies in the pipeline?

They do but I don't think any others are being filmed currently. If this deal happens by the end of the year, I could see them simply being canceled.

The only part of the X-Men franchise that would be a true issue in terms of, "What do we do with this?" is Deadpool. That will be interesting to see.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Okay, let's say that Disney buys Fox. What happens to Ryan Reynolds? Do they recast Deadpool? Do they just continue the current Deadpool movie series? Do they reboot but keep Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, maybe making jokes about Deadpool jumping from one continuity to another?

I can't see them incorporating Deadpool 1 and 2 in the MCU, the School for Gifted Youngsters is already established and seemingly publicly known in the first movie.

Still rated R, still Deadpool, still same timeline, only single character aware of the whole craziness and people still think he's bonkers. I can easily see Deadpool working in the MCU, hell the first one seems more like a rated R MCU film than anything Fox has ever pulled off.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
But what about the X-Men already being established?

In Deadpool? With Cable, Colossus and everyone else? Hell, they ARE the X-Men as far as I'm concerned. I don't see the rest of the Fox films as part of Deadpool's timeline or even something that belongs in the MCU. Now everything about Deadpool and everyone else introduced there? It just fits. Colossus and Negasonic can navigate between Rated R and PG-13 films, same as Deadpool: hard R solo films, team ups with the rest of the MCU as PG-13. Marvel Studios loves Deadpool as much as anyone that loves great superhero films. He doesn't need to be changed. He and the characters around him are perfect as/is.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If they decided to keep Reynolds, the only real option would be to do some wacky plot with Deadpool moving into the MCU universe with some multiverse story shenanigans.

Which could of course be fun in its own right. But I do think they would end up toning down the language and nudity in an MCU Deadpool, even if R-rated.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Them canceling all the side stuff Fox has planned would suck. X-Force, Doom, Multiple Man, and X-23 all have interesting people working on them.

Gambit can go in the trash though even if Verbinski is directing it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Also, while honestly I wouldn't mind the X-men remaining separate there have been versions where the initial teams were actually covert and out of public knowledge until the age of heroes(basically when a couple dozen active superheroes were a regular thing, they no longer felt a need to hide on that point)

Oct 25, 2017
Them canceling all the side stuff Fox has planned would suck. X-Force, Doom, Multiple Man, and X-23 all have interesting people working on them.

They could still potentially incorporate most of those into the MCU. X-23 is the big question there.

Also, while honestly I wouldn't mind the X-men remaining separate there have been versions where the initial teams were actually covert and out of public knowledge until the age of heroes(basically when a couple dozen active superheroes were a regular thing, they no longer felt a need to hide on that point)

I can't really see them hiding themselves when even freakin' Spider-Man is joining the fight against Thanos.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
If they decided to keep Reynolds, the only real option would be to do some wacky plot with Deadpool moving into the MCU universe with some multiverse story shenanigans.

Which could of course be fun in its own right. But I do think they would end up toning down the language and nudity in an MCU Deadpool, even if R-rated.

Deadpool's first film's third act happened in a freaking helicarrier. It's heavily implied in that film itself that this is a place where the rest of the MCU could inhabitate. I don't see them toning down his language in his own films. If anything, they'd go even harder on it, to prove the point that still is Deadpool. I don't see Deadpool getting his solos ateared at all. I expect beeps and crazy situations happening in other films though. The MCU will have a field day with him being officially part of the universe.

Kevin Feige on Deadpool last year:

"The thing that Deadpool shows is, when you present something unique to an audience, they will respond to it. When you present something as popular as a superhero character, in a different and unique and crazy way as they did in Deadpool, it demands attention and audiences went to it. They pulled it off. Tim Miller did a tremendous job. The other secret, and why it's still a secret, I don't know, but they just took what Deadpool is in the comics. He breaks the fourth wall. He talks into the camera. He doesn't give a sh*t about any of the other heroes. He doesn't take anything seriously.

"All of that is what made Deadpool so popular in the comics. Tim and his writers and Ryan Reynolds were able to get that and even magnify that up on the big screen. We've always said if there's any 'secret' it's respect the source material, understand the source material and then, any adaptation you make from the source material should be done only to enhance whatever the original pure spirit of the source material was. Deadpool hit on all cylinders with that."

Source: https://screenrant.com/kevin-feige-deadpool-marvel-success/

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They do but I don't think any others are being filmed currently. If this deal happens by the end of the year, I could see them simply being canceled.

The only part of the X-Men franchise that would be a true issue in terms of, "What do we do with this?" is Deadpool. That will be interesting to see.
Even if Disney does buy part of Fox, and even if the deal is made before the year ends, it won't close for a long time still, and until that point Fox would continue to run as an independent enterprise.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'll be blunt: no matter who is working on what, I don't want Doom or Multiple Man happening.

Doom especially is completely ridiculous. A solo Doom movie before they can even get a good Fantastic Four movie is just silly.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017

I really hope it doesn't happen.
They need to let them go with what is announced imho.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Doom and Galactus alone is worth this purchase. No more Loki and Thanos all the time.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
That was just a fun Easter egg. At absolutely no point in the film was it "heavily implied" that it was a place that could eventually become the MCU.

Close your eyes. Think that that place is the MCU. Why Deadpool's world looks any different than the MCU? Hell, if we get the deal done by the end of the year, Deadpool could address that in his film already. My point is that there's nothing about Deadpool that makes that place more like the Singerverse. If anything, it looks more like a rated R take in the MCU. I could completely buy that, and I'm hardcore with knowledge about this stuff. Casuals would buy it just as easily.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
They could still potentially incorporate most of those into the MCU. X-23 is the big question there.

I can't really see them hiding themselves when even freakin' Spider-Man is joining the fight against Thanos.
Actually, there's a lot of reasons, Shia'ar, Mojoverse, heck arcade trapped them in a pocket dimension. There are tons of X-men stories with the team getting trapped, teleported or generally occupied during events.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Close your eyes. Think that that place is the MCU. Why Deadpool's world looks any different than the MCU? Hell, if we get the deal done by the end of the year, Deadpool could address that in his film already. My point is that there's nothing about Deadpool that makes that place more like the Singerverse. If anything, it looks more like a rated R take in the MCU. I could completely buy that, and I'm hardcore with knowledge about this stuff. Casuals would buy it just as easily.

It doesn't matter what we can imagine.

If Disney buys Fox, they are rebooting X-Men. It's that simple.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It doesn't matter what we can imagine.

If Disney buys Fox, they are rebooting X-Men. It's that simple.

The X-Men? Hell yes. Deadpool though? I don't see why they can't just keep going with him. Period. Feige is clever and knows an asset when he sees one. I'd be willing to bet on that: Deadpool, Domino, Negasonic and Cable will stay as is. The only character that I can see Marvel Studios tweaking is Colossus, and even that is a longshot. $10 for whatever charity you want. Deal?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The X-Men? Hell yes. Deadpool though? I don't see why they can't just keep going with him. Period. Feige is clever and knows an asset when he sees one. I'd be willing to bet on that: Deadpool, Domino, Negasonic and Cable will stay as is. The only character that I can see Marvel Studios tweaking is Colossus, and even that is a longshot.

Possibly. But I doubt it.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

Yep.

The mainline X-films have had a ton of issues, but the recent spinoffs (Logan, Deadpool, Legion) have all turned out really well. Losing X-force, Laura's film, and Hawley's Doom is going to be really disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly. But I doubt it.

We'd be in an interesting position with Deadpool. With everyone else that Marvel Studios has acquired, it had been a while since the character's last decent film adaptation, or previous adaptions may have been straight-up crap. Even in Spidey's case, Amazing Spider-Man 2 pretty killed any goodwill that the first Amazing Spider-Man had accrued. Deadpool, though? There's already an actor perfecting the part in an on-going film series. I dunno, I can't see Feige taking the character away from Reynolds, especially with how hard he campaigned to get that film made.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this goes through I think they'll just wait later to reboot Deadpool a little while after they reboot the X-Men. If the deal happens ASAP, I'd expect Dark Phoenix to be the last X-Men movie before it gets rebooted into the MCU but for Deadpool they'll keeping going with a Deadpool 3 and then wait a couple of years after that to bring him in.

Oct 25, 2017
Disney better not take Gambit from me.

CV9p38NWIAIGM75.png

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I could see the solo Doctor Doom movie & maybe X-Force being carried over if the deal happens.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Constantin and Fox got into an exclusive distribution rights post 1992, but they otherwise retain the overall IP rights.

The basest of evidence is Constantin still producing the films up to and including Fantastic Four (2015), whereas Fox only gets credited as Distributor.

Look it up. Marvel is even listed as a producer, but not Fox.

Your evidence would only be circumstancial at best (like Feige not mentioning Constantin when asked about getting the rights back 6 months ago, but it's merely a case of not wanting to go in the details).
The evidence is here, and there is none of Constantin having sold the IP rights to Fox.
If you are basing this on Wikipedia, it also doesn't list Fox as a producer on the X-Men films (including Deadpool). The credited producers are linked to Fox, though.

I don't think being listed as a production company on Wikipedia is indicative. As you point out yourself, Marvel is listed as a production company for the FF and X-Men films, but evidence points out that Fox has a greater role in the production.

Finally, we have Marvel and James Gunn themselves stating in interviews that Fox is the one that allowed them to use Ego, a FF character, in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of having Fantastic Four and the X-Men if we don't have Namor, the missing link between the two franchises?

Bengraven