Status
Not open for further replies.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Like I said when it initially went viral; a place where its easy for a 25 year old to make 100k AND have rent under 900 bucks is boomer fiction with a soundtrack by the Eagles

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on your major, it's really not that hard. I know guys probably clearing north of $150k working at Amazon a year out of college.

That's the problem, though. Not everyone should be expected to go through a tech degree path just to make a decent amount of money. A lot of people aren't built for that shit, and there also aren't an infinite number of jobs that pay that kind of money.

This isn't typical in the slightest.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
Some of the numbers make sense if they have roommates to split the cost. The donations only make sense if this person is super religious and tithes.

edit: okay, actually read the article. He has 3 roommates. Cell phone is part of a family plan. He's donating to what seems like decent charities. His income is highly variable depending on the time of year so his budget makes a lot of sense.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So looking at that graph, he has a cheap ass cellphone and no car.

Cheap ass cellphone? You mean his monthly bill?

Me and my wife have a iPhone SE 2nd gen and pay only $50 a month...my parents have their phones for $20 a month to. If you look hard enough ,you can find good deals.

Edit: The dining out is too much yikes - at the most I pay probably $20 or $30 to dine out a month and thats for myself and 3 people in my household - buy it from a local restaurant or something once a month since most of our food we grow or cook.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That's the problem, though. Not everyone should be expected to go through a tech degree path just to make a decent amount of money. A lot of people aren't built for that shit, and there also aren't an infinite number of jobs that pay that kind of money.

This isn't typical in the slightest.
The company I'm working at, I'll probably make around 95k after two years roughly. I'll be 30 but that's because I got a 2nd degree. However if I joined the company straight out of college, I could have easily cracked 100k before hitting 25 and my company isn't a FAANG.

This isn't really that hard if you're a computer engineer or comp sci.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Rent $825?
Internet $20?
Cell phone $40?
Spending almost as much money on donations as they are on food?

This is laughable.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The company I'm working at, I'll probably make around 95k after two years roughly. I'll be 30 but that's because I got a 2nd degree. However if I joined the company straight out of college, I could have easily cracked 100k before hitting 25 and my company isn't a FAANG.

And that's not a typical career path. I'm making $50k and I'm 35 years old. This "just work in tech" mentality pisses me off.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
No one seems to ever read the articles, even when they are reposts.

He has four roommates, so he's only paying a 20% share of the rent, utilities, internet, and house cleaner. Also doesn't own a car and is on a family plan for his cell phone.

So as long as you're willing to make all those concessions it's easy to budget that way.

Professor Lich

Resettlement Advisor
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Missed it the first time, but I have to wonder. After they're done donating, getting groceries, and dining out, are they just staring at the wall in their apartment for the rest of the month?

Oct 25, 2017
I love that this is generating the exact same responses to the thread about this same breakdown from a year ago. Come on y'all, we already got outraged about this once.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
They must be sharing a house or a flat with three others to have this makes more sense.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe it isn't "hard" but I wouldn't position it as typical for a 25 year old

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing on that graph is priced normally. I can accept that a 25 year old can reach 6 figures. I can almost accept the amount for rent if he has a roommate. But the rest is some far fetched shit.

So, so, sooooo sick of these articles. It's like they know they're a joke and they've become parodies of themselves.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
As someone who is 25 and making +100k this is just bullshit. Rent is north of $1500 , who the fuck has $650 for donations laying around, how is that being excellent with money. Jesus Christ these people are out of touch. I am extremely lucky and seeing these things paint a Rosy picture when so many can't even approach that standard of living is just infuriating.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know we all like to react to titles, but the article clearly states how everything is calculated

CNBC is doing numerous articles on budgets of different households. Here's a mom making $48,000. But we don't share those stories here because then we can't get angry.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Why is all of this budget stuff never real? Why are we constantly telling people to do things that aren't real?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
$825 in rent is not possible in most major US cities. If you don't live in a major city, you're not making 100k at just 25 years old in almost any circumstance.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of that Wall Street journal struggling middle class graphic where the median household income they were describing was like 250k+ a year lol. Thanks for nothing CNBC

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We did this thread when it came out two years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.