• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021

It's time for Warner Bros. Discovery to talk about Ezra Miller, according to crisis management experts.

The actor, who portrays superhero The Flash in the studio's DC Extended Universe, including in an upcoming big-budget film, has come under scrutiny in recent months for a pattern of disturbing behavior and allegations of misconduct.

Miller, 29, made headlines in 2020 after a video surfaced showing them appearing to violently choke a fan. However, incidents of impropriety escalated in 2022 when they were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and harassment at a karaoke bar in Hawaii.

Hours before their court appearance in April for these charges, Miller was arrested again after an altercation in which they were accused of throwing a chair and injuring a woman.

Now, two orders of protection have been granted, one for a 12-year-old in Massachusetts and one for Gibson Iron Eyes, an 18-year-old Standing Rock activist, who was allegedly groomed by Miller, according to parents Chase Iron Eyes and Sara Jumping Eagle. Authorities have been unable to locate Miller in order to serve these orders. Gibson is believed to be traveling with Miller.

Miller notably deleted their Instagram account earlier this week after posting cryptic photos and messages that appeared to taunt police.

The allegations against Miller come almost a year before Warner Bros. is slated to release "The Flash," a $100 million film that is part of the studio's DC franchise.

"When you start to have a string of things, that's a worrying pattern," said Tony Freinberg, president at Edendale Strategies, a crisis management and strategic communications firm. "It's worrying about what it says about someone's well-being, and it's worrying about what it says about someone's suitability to be the face of a large Warner Bros. franchise."

"Any one thing could be a misunderstanding," he added. "But when you start getting into four, five, six things, you're starting to get into troubling territory."

Miller's talent agent and legal representatives did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.

"Silence is not an option," said Evan Nierman, author of "Crisis Averted" and CEO of crisis PR firm Red Banyan. "At a certain moment choosing to say nothing, you are communicating a message."

Warner Bros. had remained quiet during Miller's assault arrests earlier this year, but sources within the company said emergency meetings were held in April to discuss their recent controversies and how the studio would proceed going forward. At that time, it was determined that the film would remain on the slate, but Warner Bros. would pause future projects involving the actor.

The studio even teased "The Flash" during its presentation at CinemaCon in late April, suggesting that it still planned to proceed with the film's release next year.

Miller has been associated with the DCEU since the release of "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in 2016 and has been a key part of the Warner Bros.-produced "Fantastic Beasts" film series, which still has two movies left to film.

"If they are hoping that it's just going to go away or people are going to forget about this, I think they are mistaken," Nierman said.

Warner Bros. did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.

Fuck Ezra Miller, fuck Warner Bros. Discovery and fuck David Zaslav. They knew about a lot of this stuff, particularly the Gibson/ Tokata Iron Eyes situation for months now, according with their parents. They have not only not fired Ezra Miller on the spot, but refused to get them professional help so this could have been resolved privately.

Yeah, they will have to address this and fire Ezra, but it's not lost in me that they knew and all they did was that fluff piece on Variety about how this poor corporation had no choice but barrel through with the release of their shit film. The Discovery era of the Warner Bros. studio has started with them enabling a child abuser. Fuck them all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Zaslav is willing to slash and burn all kinds of shit the second he takes over, but he won't do a fucking thing about Ezra. It's amazingly transparent.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Warner Bros genuinely had the ability to stop this spiral had they went into action during the first big problematic Ezra Miller incident (when Ezra choked a woman in a store) prior to the merge with Discovery. Instead, at the time, they thought they could sit back and do absolutely nothing, not even put out a fucking statement which is the bare fucking minimum. It's ridiculous to be honest. I hope that DC Fans continue to call WBD out until their hands are forced to essentially do SOMETHING because the longer they stay quiet, the more they're enabling Ezra Miller which could lead to even more incidents.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They had all the opportunity to do so when Ezra was cruising around and tackling women to the ground for no reason. Now WB is truly fucked.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this film gets released staring them. They'll have to do a total reshoot of the entire film which would be astronomical in cost, or just scrap the entire thing which is crazy.

Last edited:

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The movie is so tainted at this point. I won't be seeing it, because Miller probably contractually gets $$ from box office. But I wont be surprised if its released still.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Shooting already wrapped on a $200 million project. Anyone expecting these massive unfeeling corporations to forgo a big payday because of this is setting themselves up for a serious wake-up call.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They just need to take the financial hit and reshoot all scenes they are in or just outright cancel the movie. You just can't release a movie when one of the main stars is doing this kinda fucked up shit.

Last edited:

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shooting already wrapped on a $200 million project. Anyone expecting these massive unfeeling corporations to forgo a big payday because of this is setting themselves up for a serious wake-up call.
Are they even going to make money from this considering this news?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Yup. Zaslav is willing to slash and burn all kinds of shit the second he takes over, but he won't do a fucking thing about Ezra. It's amazingly transparent.
Yeah, it's fucking sad to be honest. Zaslav is willing to cut all these projects without any sense of care really (or at least seemingly) and yet, Zaslav can't even put out a statement that WBD acknowledges what is going on and doing their own investigation (or at least something to that extent)? Like, come on man.

I know everyone says "just reshoot the movie!" but it's not that fucking simple. They literally can't just digitally alter every scene Ezra is in with another actor due to costs and tech limits.

With "The Flash," insiders say it would not be possible to replace Miller without reshooting the entire movie. They are in just about every scene, and there is not enough digital technology in existence to configure that magic without going back to square one. And redoing the entire film is not a realistic proposition for any movie — much less one that wrapped production months ago and already cost hundreds of millions.

This movie is either:
a) forcefully put out into the world and possibly does terrible due to it being boycotted or something
b) fully canned
c) sent out to HBO Max to die on a random die because it's not worth the negative press/reaction it will get simply due to Ezra Miller's drama.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Eh they still have to pay out for marketing, which they can save by shelving it. If the perceived hit to the brand gets too high then it's entirely possible.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this film gets released staring him. They'll have to do a total reshoot of the entire film which would be astronomical in cost, or just scrap the entire thing which is crazy.
They just need to take the financial hit and reshoot all scenes he's in or just outright cancel the movie. You just can't release a movie when one of the main stars is doing this kinda fucked up shit.
They/them.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I only know about Miller from threads on here. Each story about them seems to get worse and worse. I still don't see WB reshooting the scenes though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't until everyone is found safe and sound. Ezra is unhinged. Don't need anything to make them go off.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Warner Bros Discovery genuinely had the ability to stop this spiral had they went into action during the first big problematic Ezra Miller incident (when Ezra choked a woman in a store). Instead, they thought they could sit back and do absolutely nothing, not even put out a fucking statement which is the bare fucking minimum. It's ridiculous to be honest. I hope that DC Fans continue to call WBD out until their hands are forced to essentially do SOMETHING because the longer they stay quiet, the more they're enabling Ezra Miller which could lead to even more incidents.
That happened two years before Warner Bros Discovery. It was just WB then, as part of AT&T.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently for WB they'll go with the wait and sweep it under the rug approach no matter how bad the press will be as long as you're White and not Johnny Depp

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sorry but you can't budget crunch this away. If you want to release this film you reshoot and replace Miller.

If WB releases this movie as-is...yeesh.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

They are far from guaranteed a big payday on this one. What if Ezra fucking kills someone before the movie comes out?

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021

Depending on what Warner Bros. Discovery does with this whole fiasco, they better expect an wake up call. I'm sure that I won't be the only one boycotting not just this shitty waste of film if they released with Ezra starring it, but a lot of people will too and for very valid reasons. They acted as enablers and have been complicit with a child abuser that it's making the news for their reckless and criminal behavior for months now. If Ezra Miller gets to star this film, I will wait for the unavoidable next time actual responsible people purchase the studio and right their ship, they won't see a dime from me either with streaming or at the movies.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I agree that 200mil is a pretty massive figure to write off… but it's either that or spend a similarly massive amount on the film's marketing budget. They won't be making their money back by dumping this out with no promo

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They are far from guaranteed a big payday on this one. What if Ezra fucking kills someone before the movie comes out?

Seriously, Ezra is like speedrunning the Junior Cult Leader Manual. If they go even further and kill Tokata (or someone else), what then? Is WB just gonna put a warning at the beginning of the film?

Fucking cancel it. Give Sasha Calle another job and move on.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how money works, but I imagine there's some kind of insurance where WB would be able to recoup some of the cost of the film if they do choose to shelve it. That seems like the most logical decision.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if wb puts this movie out wouldn't it just bomb because of what they did? Also what movie is out first Aquaman 2 or the flash? Wb has done baggage with these two movies. I wonder if wb won't market these films as well as they would have

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Flash rapidly moves his face to blur it and prevent people from recognizing him.

Just blur Ezra's face the entire time.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, Ezra is like speedrunning the Junior Cult Leader Manual. If they go even further and kill Tokata (or someone else), what then? Is WB just gonna put a warning at the beginning of the film?

Fucking cancel it. Give Sasha Calle another job and move on.

Still amazing that WB blacklisted Ray Fischer and is mum on this.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Flash rapidly moves his face to blur it and prevent people from recognizing him.

Just blur Ezra's face the entire time.

What makes it all the more difficult is that Ezra plays multiple characters that share the same screen. The first trailer has two different Barry Allens being introduced to Keaton's Batman at once.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Warner Bros genuinely had the ability to stop this spiral had they went into action during the first big problematic Ezra Miller incident (when Ezra choked a woman in a store) prior to the merge with Discovery. Instead, at the time, they thought they could sit back and do absolutely nothing, not even put out a fucking statement which is the bare fucking minimum. It's ridiculous to be honest. I hope that DC Fans continue to call WBD out until their hands are forced to essentially do SOMETHING because the longer they stay quiet, the more they're enabling Ezra Miller which could lead to even more incidents.

I didn't think it would get this bad. From problematic, to literally dangerous to society.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they can use an AI to rejig the face and retune the voice so that it doesn't look or sound like that perverted fuckface.
Disown the fucker and their actions completely...

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
If they do anything, I'd just expect them to dump it to HBO Max.
If that's what they end up doing, good luck for those staying with their streaming service. I will wait until some other big corporation buy them out after their inevitable doom. Doing that would not just be cynical and wrong, but hurt them in the long run. It's time to take the loss, suck it up and replace Ezra Miller out of this film.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Depending on what Warner Bros. Discovery does with this whole fiasco, they better expect an wake up call. I'm sure that I won't be the only one boycotting not just this shitty waste of film if they released with Ezra starring it, but a lot of people will too and for very valid reasons. They acted as enablers and have been complicit with a child abuser that it's making the news for their reckless and criminal behavior for months now. If Ezra Miller gets to star this film, I will wait for the unavoidable next time actual responsible people purchase the studio and right their ship, they won't see a dime from me either with streaming or at the movies.

I agree that 200mil is a pretty massive figure to write off… but it's either that or spend a similarly massive amount on the film's marketing budget. They won't be making their money back by dumping this out with no promo

I'd be feeling differently about this (from WB's perspective, not personally) if this movie was coming out this year. But the fact that it's still a year away makes me think that WB is fine just sitting on it and pretending all the horrific shit Ezra has done and keeps doing will just magically go away by next summer.

Of course Ezra seems intent on continuing to be a terrible person and in that stead, things may well change. I think it would at least take a very public criminal charge before WB even bothers, honestly.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I fully expect them to release it as normal because fuck doing the right thing when money's on the line, but the right thing to do is to reshoot the movie. This Ezra shit has gone from "they're a bit of a weirdo" to "they're a complete lunatic who probably needs to be arrested" in record time and it's not going away. Yeah it's going to be a financial fuckup considering how much work that is but with what's going on that should be what they do. But like I say, I expect them to fight against that scenario tooth and nail.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If that's what they end up doing, good luck for those staying with their streaming service. I will wait until some other big corporation buy them out after their inevitable doom. Doing that would not just be cynical and wrong, but hurt them in the long run. It's time to take the loss, suck it up and replace Ezra Miller out of this film.

Cancel the movie outright and reuse the FX shots that don't show Barry's face in another project.

Jun 17, 2019
What might be worse is that they probably have contracts with the likes of Hot topic and other clothing groups and toy makers to make products for this movie. So I'm guessing if they do send it out, which they will because Discovery sucks, we will have to deal with teens wearing Ezra's face on their outfits.

ForlornFate

Jun 12, 2019
WB will act like a soulless corporation and release it as is. They probably just hope that general audiences will forget about the scandals. The movie isn't out for another year.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
WB is dumb for not dropping Ezra when they had the chance. They had a pretty good window to scrap this Flash movie. I like the Flashpoint story but this movie never seemed like it was worth it. Base on the other movies they stared in the trouble just isn't worth it from a business or PR perspective.

The way they treated Ray but sticking with Ezra tells me WB needs to do a lot of house cleaning.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Blur out the face in every shot and pitch-shift the voice.
a2fa6106d88aae6785a6d679db17bd0b.gif

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Cancel the movie outright and reuse the FX shots that don't show Barry's face in another project.
That could work. Batman: Infinite Crisis, Justice League: Infinite Crisis, I don't care. Batman Returns Again. Anything would be good enough, just don't have Ezra Miller staining their characters mythology and their studio ever again. Discover who knew about this shit for months and fire them, and if that's David Zaslav's decision, then I'm sure that a board would not be pleased with that. As long as they disavow Ezra Miller and they don't get to use this as a vehicle to hurt children ever again, I'm good.

What might be worse is that they probably have contracts with the likes of Hot topic and other clothing groups and toy makers to make products for this movie. So I'm guessing if they do send it out, which they will because Discovery sucks, we will have to deal with teens wearing Ezra's face on their outfits.
What partners would even want to be in business featuring a child abuser? That's not happening, no one will want to be associated with this.