Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we'd has a proper pandemic response the hundreds of thousands of movie theater and filmmaking industry employees would all be in a lot less danger of losing their jobs. Theaters would probably be open again at a higher capacity.

This is 100% the fault of federal, state, and local governments.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry, I know delaying movies is the best course of action but how long are we going to delay these movies to? I'm not going to the theaters any time soon, even after COVID cases drop here. I'll just wait for stuff to come to streaming services eventually, and I'm sure there are millions like myself as well. Are they really going to hold back movies by over a years to 2 years?

I mean so be it. I hope the planning works out in their favor and the actors, staff and production teams are properly compensated, (they likely won't be). Let's survive in the meantime instead of thinking of how to get masses into singular halls for entertainment.
Everyone is still kinda hoping they will be able to release these movies to a somewhat normal market next year. I think we all know chances to go back to normal next year are incredibly slim which could get some studios into trouble and force them to release digital and maybe a limited cinema release because they hey urgently need cash.

Normalization before 2022 even if all cinemas survive will be a lot different than pre covid

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
He figured that with as much as he stood to gain from being the one big blockbuster in theaters, it was worth pushing it out to have a chance of getting a really sweet payday with his first-dollar participation. That has obviously not happened, and now he gets to play out the worst case scenario for being behind the film that proved that no one was willing to risk their health to see in a theater, defining the film's legacy in just about the most damning way possible.
True but almost all infectious disease experts/institutions were predicting a second wave way back in March even, not to mention knowing the economy/unemployment would be in shambles by the time the movie would come out it made no sense to release it.

I don't think delaying it would work either though, all the hype/marketing would just be a waste of money by the time it came out. I understand they want to avoid losing money on their big projects but there's no realistic way to avoid it a hit. Almost every market has taken a hit except the teleworking area. Instead they should've just released the film on VOD and used it to promote their streaming platform (HBO max?), which at least would give a boost to their subscribers numbers.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Small independent theaters make up a huge part of the industry, and there's just no way they can survive losing money for the next 8 or more months.

Some of them could survive if there is no rollercoaster of opening and closing them every 4 weeks. A business _could_ survive closing down for many months (it happens often enough with reopenings, renovations, or repairs after a fire or something. As long as you can pay the rent and have a little nest-egg, you could survive.
But not when you open for a few weeks, have to close down again, can reopen again, have to close down again. The running costs, rehires, training of possibly new staff, destroying of food and drink stuff will ruin you.

Oct 25, 2017
The frustrating thing is these continual delays for movies that could have done "fine" on VOD.

I mean Ghostbusters Afterlife would have been a smash hit on VOD at Halloween time.

Now it's delayed to next summer along with everything else.

Everything is going to get buried ontop of each other next year because of delays.
Top Gun 2 probably would have done well on VOD as well.
but I honestly think it will go straight to the CBS All Access rebrand(Paramount+) next year as an big piece of exclusive content.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
We already saw this coming with Netflix and other streaming services becoming as big as they are. The pandemic temporarily accelerated the situation where people don't go to theaters, but I think this will be the future either way (in a positive way), where people will generally only go to theaters for very specific experiences and otherwise enjoy entertainment on their own privacy.
Studios will want to adapt to this as soon as posible, and not really blame the pandemic too much, since that excuse will only last so long.

Personally I'd like to see them come up with ways to engage the community in ways that online releases become an event like theater releases are. Kind of in the way things like Stranger Things managed, with online events both prior and past release, etc.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
If they were smart they'd sell the streaming rights ahead of Digital/Physical release to someone to recoup even more money

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Forgive me for the stupid question, but why are we expecting cinema and theaters to simply die ?
Won't they bounce back when this is all over ?

Cinemas themselves didn't have great profit before covid and now that covid has stopped people from going, there is not enough to keep the existing companies afloat. It has gotten to the point that movie productions are looking at ways to make money without cinemas and there is no reason production houses wouldn't just keep following this new business model and ignoring cinemas or them becoming more niche in terms of their bottom line.

Honestly, I doubt Cinemas will disappear and be gone forever but their business model will probably change.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
If we'd has a proper pandemic response the hundreds of thousands of movie theater and filmmaking industry employees would all be in a lot less danger of losing their jobs. Theaters would probably be open again at a higher capacity.

yep and it is not said enough..

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the business down side though? The movie still made a decent chunk of cash through theatrical, and now they can put it on VOD/streaming service and get the people who want to watch it but are unwilling to go to a theater.

If you wanted to watch it on VOD 4 months ago, what's really changed. You'll get to watch it soon and you can spend the $X amount to have it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
9LDuDlp.jpg

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming is the present.

Streaming however doesn't make sense for movies that cost over $200M .

Very few movies cost over that. Most costs come from marketing the movie, which can double it. Don't even MCU Movies cost around $120-150M?

Streaming and VOD are the only choices for the next years, theaters won't be back for at least 1-2 years and may never reach the same level of revenue from before pandemic. Adjust the movies budgets and go for the new market.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

While I agree that it is the case in US, theaters are one of the worst places to be in a pandemic (indoor, lot of people packed in, closed air circulation). No matter the response theaters would remain closed for a long time, and people wouldn't be back watching movies on them in mass sooner.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie theatres are dead, gone, they will not survive and they will never come back. The streaming future IS here

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Very few movies cost over that. Most costs come from marketing the movie, which can double it. Don't even MCU Movies cost around $120-150M?

Streaming and VOD are the only choices for the next years, theaters won't be back for at least 1-2 years and may never reach the same level of revenue from before pandemic. Adjust the movies budgets and go for the new market.
You're a tad mistaken. Production budgets only cover the production budget. The cost for prints and advertising is separate and rarely brought up when studios reveal the budgets of their movies.

p.s. Endgame cost over 350M, advertising not included. Black Panther, 200M. The budgets for MCU movies are consistently over 150M.

Like I said, movies of this scale don't make sense on streaming. Indeed studios will have to adjust what kind of stuff they greenlight going forward for the foreseeable future.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
A film released during a fucking pandemic didn't do well?

Who could have possibly seen this coming?

Oct 25, 2017
If only somebody could've predicted this like, I don't know, everybody on Earth outside of WB leadership and dumbass Chris Nolan.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Probably didn't help that the movie was okay at best, and pretentious dogshit at worst.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So lets say Movie Theaters die for good.

What do major movie releases look like? Do they release on streaming services day 1? Do blockbuster movie budgets shrink drastically?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't get why they don't think people will come back, but maybe I'm just old school. I can't wait for movie theaters.

its not like in 2022 every movie theater will be bankrupt but attendance has consistency been dwindling for the past two decades. Movie theaters will still exist but will be considered more premium entertainment like music concerts. This was inevitable but COVID accelerated it.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
You're a tad mistaken. Production budgets only cover the production budget. The cost for prints and advertising is separate and rarely brought up when studios reveal the budgets of their movies.

p.s. Endgame cost over 350M, advertising not included. Black Panther, 200M. The budgets for MCU movies are consistently over 150M.

Like I said, movies of this scale don't make sense on streaming. Indeed studios will have to adjust what kind of stuff they greenlight going forward for the foreseeable future.

I think I may did not myself clear. I meant exactly that, that there is a production budget and a marketing budget and the later usually is as high as the former, which may be scaled down considerable for streaming. Yes, Endgame has the highest budget but the average MCU production budget is around 180-190M, the lowest budget Wars $120M for ant-man I believe. I also meant the it is possible to scale down those numbers and make possible to such movies to find a home in streaming/VOD. The near future path is to release the movies same day theaters + VOD/streaming and learn from that.

You should not expect that the plan to delay all movies for 1 or 1 1/2 years will work. They will canibalize themselves in a smaller market and never reach the former numbers.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the one thing people are definitely taking from this pandemic is that they love to keep isolating themselves.

Funny thing that the main reason for me to go the theaters before this was that it was an excuse to get out and do other stuff (go out, have a meal, watch s movie). Not because the watching experience was better (it was not). I don't miss the theaters, I miss watching the movies.

Jul 18, 2018
Haha, Nolan wants to preserve the cinema experience but at the same time is a part of one of the reasons for its collapse. Well done Nolan lol

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I would love to look into a crystal ball and find out when we get the next $1 billion movie. The last one was The Rise of Skywalker and I'm curious when general audience confidence in cinemas will return. I could see $500-600 million grosses being the top end for hugely successful films through even late 2021 and into early 2022. We'll see I guess.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No shit. Everyone needs to get their head out their ass and stop wanting to be the "savior of cinema" put your shit digitally and call it a day

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's not even going to be movie theaters left to show new releases once this pandemic is over .

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Oh you mean movies can't pack audiences into theaters in the middle of a pandemic? Ah nuh uh

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
So what about all those people who are out of a Job?

The world constantly changes and jobs become irrelevant. That was not the first time and will not be the last a type of job no longer exists. Yeah, it sucks for those people but what is needed is to support them to find another type of job/qualification, not trying to reanimate a corpse.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'm expecting some blockbusters to just release to streaming given that the box office will be anemic through 2021. And we just heard bond was shopped. Netflix, Apple or another major player will end up buying something big. Not at $600m but it'll be a lot!

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Nolan was so drunk in his own magnificence that he was convinced he could get the masses to risk their lives just ot see his movie. Love to see his ego get checked.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While movie theatres are not completely dead, we are never going back to pre pandemic movie theatres

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Drive-ins can probably still do decently well. Except for that one in England with the bathrooms in Wales.