• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
A senior Sony vice president has been terminated from the electronics and entertainment giant after being caught up in an amateur pedophilia sting video.

George Cacioppo was allegedly trying to arrange a meeting with a 15-year-old boy, according to a video posted by the YouTube channel People vs. Preds. Cacioppo had been a senior vice president of engineering for Sony for the past eight years and worked on the PlayStation Store, according to his LinkedIn profile. He has since been fired after appearing in the video.

"We are aware of the situation and the employee in question has been terminated from employment," Sony said in an emailed statement Sunday.

www.cnet.com

Former Sony Playstation exec under investigation after appearing in pedo sting video

San Diego's Internet Crimes Against Children task force is looking into the matter.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned: (2 weeks) Inappropriate joke in sensitive thread.
Well at least they don't have to worry about the "PSN" brand name for too much longer.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh. Crazy how these predators can be anywhere.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Modwhining; History of the Same
Wonder why sony needs less information to terminate him than we do to discuss it.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Modwhining
wonder if the mods will deign to let this be discussed now or if it will get locked for the dozenth time

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (permanent): Inappropriate commentary and false accusations towards staff. Multiple prior severe bans for inappropriate commentary around race and representation.
This has been going around since yesterday and was posted multiple times. Each time it was locked and the proof expunged from the threads by the mods waiting for more concrete evidence. Seems like the people vs preds vid was concrete enough evidence to fire him but not have a discussion.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Why'd the original thread about outing his messages etc. get locked anyways? Seemed pretty clear what his intents were.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will this thread be allowed to stay open or do we have to wait for an even more legitimate source?

Hopefully George gets arrested soon. Surely if there is enough evidence to fire him a police investigation is under way?

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
not sure Sony should be basing their staffing decisions off of such a sketch source right

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Glad we got fast action. I was nervous given the dubious original source that it wouldn't be taken seriously, I know I was hoping for someone else to pick up the story at the very least, but this was a quick turnaround from the initial reports. Get all these creeps out

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
Sorry yo hear that the accusations were true, but at least he was fired and exposed.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
He was wearing a PS5 shirt...
Yup. Texts that where posted where disgusting.
Wonder why sony needs less information to terminate him than we do to discuss it.
I posted a thread this morning about it and it got locked quick because we were waiting on an official news source so here we are. SONY themselves took measures to terminate the guy asap. Crazy that he was wearing a PlayStation shirt, who knows if thinking it was going to make him seem cool to a 15 year old. Sick stuff.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Because the initial source was a Gamergater piece of shit? Now that Sony took official action and this is being reported on by credible news orgs, it is fine to talk about.
Initial source was People vs Preds, maybe not a 'reputable' source but not a gamergater. The person that referenced the video in a viral tweet was a gamergater.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Conspiracy Theorizing; History of Dismissive and Inappropriate Commentary
Lack of sourcing from a journalistic outlet.
Doesnt stop us from posting all cases of rapists/sex pests/ generally any other info that most people do want to hear about. (in the sense to stop supporting them) but this was a weird one. Like no credible news site posts about wesker's VA being a potential sex pest but that discussion was allowed, sony's case here wasnt . I wonder if this has to do with the new ownership the site has. (which if ya'll didnt know happened recently)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully these vigilante clout chasing "pedo hunter" groups didn't fuck up any chance of him facing actual punishment.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder if he ever used PSN to find potential victims.
That was my immediately thought. I was surprised to see that he was using Grindr in this case. In either case, I can't help but think back to when Sony was pushing back against crossplay while citing the safety of children using its network as one of its biggest concerns, and here we have one of the main people running PSN showing up in a pedophile sting video. On the one hand, I'm with anyone who talks about how rotten this industry is, but man, really, the world in general is just such trash.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt stop us from posting all cases of rapists/sex pests/ generally any other info that most people do want to hear about. (in the sense to stop supporting them) but this was a weird one. Like no credible news site posts about wesker's VA being a potential sex pest but that discussion was allow, sony's case here wasnt . I wonder if this has to do with the new ownership the site has. (which if ya'll didnt know happened recently)
That was a case where people he had targeted came forward to speak directly on what had happened to them.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Since when is that the requirement for a thread here?

When the thread is about something as serious as pedophilia accusations, I'm not sure that's such a bad policy. We're not talking about someone leaking Bloodborne for PC here. Either way, CNET has picked it up, Sony has taken action, the thread is here do you want to discuss the actual news story or just have some commentary about the moderation?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they cite the youtube channel lol
Does Cnet generally vet stories before posting or is thing going to be like a shitty case of 'oh lets copy that story quick" kinda like the dumb fuckery that msn did with that article of literally posting roms for metroit dread lol.