• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like what let them to brothers was tracing back who bought the rope. I don't see how that's burying a black man and not just the police doing their work
Let's face it, if this was a white person chances are the police wouldn't do as much digging. He's also a celebrity, but that won't make him immune from the system. Media, police, and society paint black victims are aggressors with things like, "He smoked marijuana" and shit to assassinate their character. It wouldn't shock me to learn that a big chunk of this investigation was driven by that same bias. Does that mean he shouldn't be punished? Naw, but I believe he thought he'd have an easier time when that's not how America works.

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Police released a statement (quoted in the same CBS article I linked earlier):

"We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We've reached out to the Empire cast member's attorney to request a follow-up interview."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie...k-source-says-2019-02-16/?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a

Ok, this is done. Confirmed hoax. I for one hope this leads to some productive introspection from the community on how we handle sensationalized media in a hypernormalized society. I might make a thread...

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This has literally nothing to do with due process.

When I say "victim blaming is not retroactively okay," I am referring to the many people online who saw the news immediately after it happened and decided the person was lying. It was a cesspool on social media.
Not talking about people saying he lied. I'm talking about those that questions about the alleged attack.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let's face it, if this was a white person chances are the police wouldn't do as much digging. He's also a celebrity, but that won't make him immune from the system. Media, police, and society paint black victims are aggressors with things like, "He smoked marijuana" and shit to assassinate their character. It wouldn't shock me to learn that a big chunk of this investigation was driven by that same bias.
What are you talking about? There would be digging into who the hell assaulted him and that's exactly what they did. The guys who did it then just flipped and spilled the whole story

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jussie probably thought that with the current climate in America that people would just believe him. Where he's wrong is police don't give black men the benefit of the doubt and will find ways to bury him. Like, did he think the entire country would unite? Naw. His big mistake was not realizing the actual climate of America.

Wait... what? No, I'm not going to bat for no cops, but that's how you're trying to spin this? That they went out of their way to get Smollett? Should they have not investigated the alleged attacks at all? Sounds very much like they found the only potential candidates, confirmed them with Smollett, and now they are telling a very different story.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
One correct : the two bothers brought the rope , but Smollett as per sources paid for it . I mistakenly said above sources said Smollett himself brought the rope

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
At least one of the two has appeared as an extra on the Chicago-filmed Empire and seems to know Smollett socially.

Well, that's a wrap.
CBS news

Nigerian brother were paid $3500 to partake and go to Nigeria and promised $500 on their return

Brothers brought their MAGA hat at a supply store and attack was originally planned before January 29

Smollett paid for the rope used in the attack

CBS Chicago: https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/0...d-bought-rope-used-in-jussie-smollett-attack/

That's actually an amazingly terrible plan. How the actual heck did he think he'd get away with that?

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's face it, if this was a white person chances are the police wouldn't do as much digging. He's also a celebrity, but that won't make him immune from the system. Media, police, and society paint black victims are aggressors with things like, "He smoked marijuana" and shit to assassinate their character. It wouldn't shock me to learn that a big chunk of this investigation was driven by that same bias.
Stop. Just stop. What he did is fucked up. Police did their job investigating the crime. Stop this "but if he was white" bullshit. It's embarrassing. Jussie didn't give a fuck about the kind of damage he was doing to minorities and lgbtq folk. Go watch that fake interview he gave and tell me that doesn't make you sick.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Does anybody care about the ramifications of Jussie potentially lying about a hate crime or do we just wanna dunk on the moderators for correctly banning a group of trolls?
Now all bigots and "centrists" have their one "both sides" talking point they can bandy about. Honestly anyone that would bring this incident up as a sign that "actually racism isn't a problem/it's just not as big as you think" is being disingenuous from step one. This is just another milstone added to the many minorities in this country have to now take on if we want to navigate and have honest and real conversations about the US's bigotry

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
If he goes the mental illness, insanity defense route this will also serve to further stigmatize those who are mentally ill and actively taking part of their treatment/maintenance. This is a bottomless pit of awful on so many levels.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let's face it, if this was a white person chances are the police wouldn't do as much digging. He's also a celebrity, but that won't make him immune from the system. Media, police, and society paint black victims are aggressors with things like, "He smoked marijuana" and shit to assassinate their character. It wouldn't shock me to learn that a big chunk of this investigation was driven by that same bias. Does that mean he shouldn't be punished? Naw, but I believe he thought he'd have an easier time when that's not how America works.
That's nonsense. A high-profile celebrity attack is always going to be investigated until a conclusion can be reached. Bias, obviously, exists in society and in the police departments, but this case is not really a good example of that.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
People do crazy shit, add this to the list.

He's spending all kinds of money on lawyers and PR firms. This guy.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This whole fucking thing
0is5d495hvl11.jpg

looprider

Oct 27, 2017

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Ignoring Staff Post
This has literally nothing to do with due process.

When I say "victim blaming is not retroactively okay," I am referring to the many people online who saw the news immediately after it happened and decided the person was lying. It was a cesspool on social media.
Being skeptical of the story isn't victim blaming.

Victim blaming is when you already know what happened, and for whatever reason, blame the victim for what happened to them.

Honestly, people should be unbanned.

Oct 25, 2017
People weren't playing detective. They were saying the events didn't add up. Huge, gulf chasm difference.

Yeah, they were. There are many other discussion forums on the internet that allow people to openly doubt and question the accounts and experience of gay black Americans and shift blame free of repercussion. The other 99% of the internet is good for that. Resetera doesn't need to make it 100.

The takeaway from this story as it stands now is the same as it was before - minorities are treated as a monolith that need to be perfect at all times or else everything they fight for falls apart in an instant.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
I swear this place is filled with the most stubborn people, why is it so hard for some people to admit they were wrong? No one is currently nor was in the previous thread saying racism is not a significant issue in this country nor are they saying that hate crimes against people of color do not happen regularly.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't think it's tough to figure out why. He figured the cops and public would just believe him and then his name is everywhere for a week which can skyrocket an actor's career if played right.
He may have figured that but that wouldn't be very smart, he should have anticipated the skepticism from the police force of all places. Maybe he just thought his celebrity would overcome that.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
What an all around shitty thing to do. Moron set back the cause.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
So now the question is: Why?

Why would you even want to be thought of as a hate crime victim in the first place.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Being skeptical of the story isn't victim blaming.

Victim blaming is when you already know what happened, and for whatever reason, blame the victim for what happened to them.

Honestly, people should be unbanned.
Victim blaming also includes things like police asking rape victims if they were drunk or wearing revealing clothes as a means to ignore a reported crime or insinuate the victim was "asking for it". So your definition doesn't fit, since an officer taking a victim statement wouldn't know what happened, since they're just being told.

Just to clarify.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Orchestrating a fraud.
Filing false police report.
Reporting false hate crime.
Falsifying evidence.
Lying to police.
Paying accomplices.

-He is going to jail.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He may have figured that but that wouldn't be very smart, he should have anticipated the skepticism from the police force of all places. Maybe he just thought his celebrity would overcome that.
But it wasn't skepticism that led them to uncovering this, it was finding the guys on the security footage...

Oct 25, 2017
So were his ribs broken or not? I remember the original story reporting that his ribs were broken, if anything he has proven how easy it is to play the media.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Why would you even want to be thought of as a hate crime victim in the first place.

There was a case of a hijab laden woman a year or so ago who did the same. I think it's a case of some people so much into the cause that they are willing to fabricate events to bring more awareness. It's a shitty thing to do

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, thanks for giving the right fuel for its shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I swear this place is filled with the most stubborn people, why is it so hard for some people to admit they were wrong? No one is currently nor was in the previous thread saying racism is not a significant issue in this country nor are they saying that hate crimes against people of color do not happen regularly.

So y'all bitch about a lack of nuance in the discussion and then refuse to acknowledge when we change our stances on a topic in the face of new evidence.

Seems to me like everybody here is acknowledging that Jussie fucked up, so which thread are you reading?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There was one poster calling the description of the attack "cartoonish," when it really wouldn't have been that outlandish if in another part of the country (and possibly time of day).

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, they were. There are many other discussion forums on the internet that allow people to openly doubt and question the accounts and experience of gay black Americans and shift blame free of repercussion. The other 99% of the internet is good for that. Resetera doesn't need to make it 100.

The takeaway from this story as it stands now is the same as it was before - minorities are treated as a monolith that need to be perfect at all times or else everything they fight for falls apart in an instant.
I don't think the doubts where because of his identity but due to the circumstances of the events.

Did racists use this to cast doubt more because of his identity? No doubt about it.

But you had many posters from the Chicago area voicing the bizarreness of the situation without attacking the credibility of the accused. Read the old thread. There were many believing Jussie but being baffled by the events.

If this is a fake accusation, it will be unfortunate, but even that is not verified yet. Even this thread is basically mostly questioning on new evidence, although it's not looking for good Jussie.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
CBS news

Nigerian brother were paid $3500 to partake and go to Nigeria and promised $500 on their return

Brothers brought their MAGA hat at a supply store and attack was originally planned before January 29

Smollett paid for the rope used in the attack

CBS Chicago: https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/0...d-bought-rope-used-in-jussie-smollett-attack/

This is getting me mad. These Nigerian brothers look to have a good hustle as fitness models/designers on IG and getting regular acting gigs. No way they needed $3500. Jussie is a provable fuckhead, I bet there was pressure on them to do this for their career.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Wow fuck him if this ends up being the real story. Makes life a lot worse for real victims.

Jussie probably thought that with the current climate in America that people would just believe him. Where he's wrong is police don't give black men the benefit of the doubt and will find ways to bury him. Like, did he think the entire country would unite? Naw. His big mistake was not realizing the actual climate of America.

Um, they did believe him, that was literally the flaw in his plan . Everything hinged on the police either being incompetent, or not giving a shit that he was attacked.

Deleted member 15848

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude called himself the "gay Tupac" off of this. Clown shoes.

FR, this also should give you some insight as to why he did this.

So were his ribs broken or not? I remember the original story reporting that his ribs were broken, if anything he has proven how easy it is to play the media.

Nope, they were just "bruised" and he only had a small scratch on his face after allegedly being beat down by two men...C'mon son.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There was a case of a hijab laden woman a year or so ago who did the same. I think it's a case of some people so much into the cause that they are willing to fabricate events to bring more awareness. It's a shitty thing to do
There are very few people who hurt their own kids for the sympathy it entails (Munchausen syndrome by proxy). This type of, also super rare, victimization hoax strikes me as similar.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assuming all these new facts are true and he orchestrated the attack, the interview Jussie did is mind blowing especially since at that time the police were already closing in on the two brothers and Jussie knew it.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

Maybe he is mentally ill and needs help. I only know of him because of this attack as I don't watch Empire so his name did get out there but so that could be it but not sure what he was expecting from this. Movie roles, book deals, talk shows? Just seems insane that he would set this all up and really sloppy too, so bad that many were questioning it the moment it happened. Hope we get the truth from him or the brothers soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.