• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Washington (CNN)Newly obtained body camera footage shows the moment DC Metropolitan Police Officer Michael Fanone was brutally assaulted while defending the US Capitol during the January 6 insurrection.

The exclusive footage, which was broadcast on "CNN Tonight with Don Lemon" on Wednesday, was captured by Fanone's own body camera as he was outside on the Capitol steps and tased during a scuffle with the insurrectionists -- his screams audible throughout the early portion of the video as one rioter can be heard clearly saying, "I got one."
While it is difficult to see what happens next in the footage, another rioter seems to interject as Fanone continues to scream in pain.
"Don't hurt him," a voice in the crowd says. "We're better than this."

Fanone can then be heard pleading with the insurrectionists to let him go. "I have kids," Fanone says at one point in the video.
While that comment seemed to briefly get through to some people in the crowd who gave Fanone a moment of protection, he says he was ultimately knocked unconscious.

The footage offers a stark reminder of what really happened on January 6 despite the fact that Republican lawmakers spent several hours Wednesday denying basic facts about the insurrection during a hearing that was held inside the very building that had been attacked earlier this year.

During the House Oversight Committee hearing about "unexplained delays and unanswered questions" from January 6, some Republicans used their time to defend the rioters and cast them as the victims instead of the perpetrators of a deadly insurrection that included attacks on police officers like Fanone.

Among those lawmakers were Reps. Paul Gosar of Arizona and Jody Hice of Georgia, who had both voted to overturn election results from key states even after the attack.
Gosar said the crowd was full of "peaceful patriots," even though many had brought weapons, dozens had assaulted police and hundreds have been charged with federal crimes. Hice suggested the violence was on the part of outside agitators.
www.cnn.com

Exclusive: Newly obtained bodycam footage shows moment DC police officer attacked by pro-Trump rioters

Newly obtained body camera footage obtained by CNN shows the moment Washington DC police officer

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Borderline NSFL.

Fucking infuriating, it's scary to imagine what would have happened to him were it not for the small minority of rioters in that crowd who were pulling the attackers off of him towards the end there.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
"Just a visit by tourists."

The GOP has gone completely batshit insane.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Someone in the gop said they were just like a regular group tourists though or something like that

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It is super weird seeing a post on this forum expressing empathy towards a police officer. It seems like since this can be used against the right wing nut jobs, people suddenly like cops all of a sudden (well, at least this one for right now). I get the distinct impression there are a ton of people on this forum who fucking hate cops. How do all the ACAB posters feel about this?

I have a friend who is a cop in NYC and is gay. He always loves how right wingers that hate gays also have an innate respect for cops and they were absolutely torn when they met him as the two sides they believed in fought with one another. The story above would seem to have a similar internal struggle for people who hate cops but admire the ones that stood up to defend the Capitol from rioters. I would like to hear how people are dealing with that mental dichotomy.

I apologize for talking about the elephant in the room but this forum makes my head spin sometimes and I cannot help but feel like there is a more interesting discussion to be had here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It is super weird seeing a post on this forum expressing empathy towards a police officer. It seems like since this can be used against the right wing nut jobs, people suddenly like cops all of a sudden (well, at least this one for right now). I get the distinct impression there are a ton of people on this forum who fucking hate cops. How do all the ACAB posters feel about this?

I have a friend who is a cop in NYC and is gay. He always loves how right wingers that hate gays also have an innate respect for cops and they were absolutely torn when they met him as the two sides they believed in fought with one another. The story above would seem to have a similar internal struggle for people who hate cops but admire the ones that stood up to defend the Capitol from rioters. I would like to hear how people are dealing with that mental dichotomy.

I apologize for talking about the elephant in the room but this forum makes my head spin sometimes and I cannot help but feel like there is a more interesting discussion to be had here.

You can not be a fan of cops while simultaneously pointing out the hypocrisy of the right when their lunatics nearly kill one.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
And of course Trumpers will only acknowledge the part of the video where some step in to help the officer, and ignore the fact that if that hadn't happened, the other ones (i.e., the majority of them), would have put him in the hospital or in a coffin.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017

One can believe in ACAB and also believe that a cop shouldn't be physically attacked, especially by a bloodthirsty mob. They're not mutually exclusive positions.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

It's possible to think ACAB while not hating individual people or being happy when an individual is harmed.

ACAB has always been about the institution, not the individuals, for me at least.

Though who knows, that specific cop could be a POS and I'd have no way of knowing without more info. The default isn't going to be that I assume he IS a POS.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019

I'm firmly ACAB, but not pro violence. Simple as that, fuck those lunatics.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
ACAB has always been about the institution, not the individuals, for me at least.

The default isn't going to be that I assume he IS a POS.

This is a reasonable approach. Despite knowing a handful of friends and acquaintances who are police officers all around the country, I have always had an innate distrust of police. I do not hate people by default or wish ill upon them just because they are cops. I just do not trust the institution.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

You genuinely believe that people on this forum would be celebrating white supremacists attacking/killing police..? Like, honestly...?

Cops that do their job, are fine. Like my father. He is an ex police officer. The problem is the entire institution that makes that an optional task to do. As there is 0% accountability for not doing your job/executing minorities all the time.

This is something also echoed by My father, and most LEO that has sense outside of binary emotions. And well, most people with sense.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

Have you considered that people who don't support police institutions due to the senseless violence those organisations often perpetrate might also be against another act of senseless violence?

Thinking people who are anti-police (especially anti-American police) would celebrate some random cop almost getting beaten to death is a fucked up, myopic take. Jesus.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

You can still believe in ACAB and still not want a cop to be brutally attacked by right-wing terrorists.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone who saw the live streams of the attack on the capital saw violence, just amazing to see just how violent it actually was when you see even more detailed footage. When will this country start dealing with the current GOP and right wing propaganda as the terrorist threat it has actually manifested itself as? Fox News and Rupert Murdoch is out to destroy the English speaking world. Why can't we acknowledge that as well?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the TV footage of those who entered the Capitol and walked through Statuary Hall showed people in an orderly fashion staying between the stanchions and ropes taking videos and pictures. You know, if you didn't know the TV footage was a video from January the 6th, you would actually think it was a normal tourist visit.

- Rep. Andrew Clyde (R) GA

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
One on hand: it's infuriating to see this happen to someone who is suppose to be "the good guy" in these people's eyes. Really shows that they don't see them as allies, only pawns.

On the other hand: Given that he's a cop, I'm waiting for his inevitable milkshake ducking to remind us all that indeed ACAB.