• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
You know I was thinking maybe we judged her too harshly for the pope thing with all the priest stuff that came out after.
I thought her tearing up a picture of the Pope decades ago was a rebellion against organized religion, but if it was just a rebellion against a single religion, it's less of a statement.
The Pope stuff was an specific attack against him because he basically kept enabling all those paedo priests infesting their churches.

By 1992 the child abuse has already reached the level of scandal with countless reports and documentaries but the Church only did some token acts to placate the masses
DuPJ0bU.png

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hasn't she been going through some mental health stuff recently?

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I respect her choice but she sounds a bit....arrogant?

Welcome to Sinead O'Connor. I've been a fan of her over the years, but there's always been moments where she'll make statements, even if what she's saying is right, and manage to sound smug and arrogant about it. Just got to roll with it.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
"This is the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian's journey. All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant."
I respect her belief and all but the quote above is so unnecessarily shitting on all the other religions, haha.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
isn't this unofficial stance of Islam, being the latest divine revelation, and making the others before it obsolete?

Mormonism is more recent

Not sure if that is considered a revelation though, not that it would matter because Islam obviously rejects it either way

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Mormonism is more recent

Not sure if that is considered a revelation though, not that it would matter because Islam obviously rejects it either way
plenty came after, but the only ones counting Mormonism as a divine revelation is Mormonism. lol certainly not Islam.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
And here I was thinking that common sense was enough to figure out how to be happy and how to be a decent person.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
"All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant"

So shitting on every other religion, nice.
That surprises you? Most religions believe every other religion is wrong. In fact, some of the most popular religions believe that anyone who doesn't follow their teachings will spend an enternity burning in hell. What she said is tame compared to what those scriptures actually teach.

On another note. When she says that they're going to give her a new name, people do realise that Arabic names aren't Islamic names right? This obsession in forcing converts to change their names is ridiculous. So long as the name doesn't translate to something offensive, and any all names are acceptable.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
If she finds peace good for her but given her history of mental illness jumping into a religion seems like a potentially bad idea that could be destructive in its own right.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
The Pope stuff was an specific attack against him because he basically kept enabling all those paedo priests infesting their churches.

By 1992 the child abuse has already reached the level of scandal with countless reports and documentaries but the Church only did some token acts to placate the masses
DuPJ0bU.png

Kind of odd then that she chose to follow a religion where the prophet had some questionable relations himself..

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
"All scripture study leads to Islam" is really odd. Not being a native speaker, I had to make sure it really can refer to holy texts of any religion, like I assumed, and it does...
So I take it she just chose to not include (for example) the Tripitaka, or the Vedas, or the Kojiki? Just to name some examples I can think of. Surely nobody can try to make a connection from those texts to Islam?

That surprises you? Most religions believe every other religion is wrong. In fact, some of the most popular religions believe that anyone who doesn't follow their teachings will spend an enternity burning in hell. What she said is tame compared to what those scriptures actually teach.
I think it's one thing to claim "my religion is true, others are false", but it's just especially arrogant to claim that all other religious scripture actually supports your faith.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Meh. I don't think any religious framework is worth living under. If it makes her happy and doesn't hurt others, who am I to judge.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Adult converts are prone to strong religious posturing. They tend to be a little EXTRA.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sinead's had her share of troubles in the past. I hope she's genuinely in a good place now. I can't say I wouldn't be a little worried for her, but I hope those worries are unfounded. (Nothing to do with the conversion to Islam per se, she could come out as a Buddhist monk or a Hindu priestess or whatever, and it would be the same)

For Islam, it has gained a beautiful voice. She's so talented. I'm by no means religious, but some of her renditions of christian songs (silent night, ave maria etc) could just floor you. I'm sure she'll do the same for Islamic songs.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
She has suffered heavily with mental health issues.

EDIT: BTW, I don't mean to imply this is why one would convert to Islam. I hope this conversion gives her what she was looking for.

Last edited:

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Intelligent theologians would arrive at the conclusion it was an imposter Jesus Christ that was crucified by the Romans? hooookay then

Nothing compares to Islam?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
isn't this unofficial stance of Islam, being the latest divine revelation, and making the others before it obsolete?

Nah, it's more like "The others fucked up their religion, don't fuck up your own, o noble Arab!" kinda thing.

Islam at first was "a religion only for Arab folks, we don't need that Roman shit" but tribal conflicts and rivalry with Byzantine during the Rashidun caliphate turned it into "we're powerful and rich enough to bring Islam and Arabic language to all over the world, so let's fucking do this!"