• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
They've since taken the page down after the Washington Post inquired about it.

Washington Post said:
Employees of the U.S. Coast Guard who are facing a long U.S. government shutdown just received a suggestion: To get by without pay, consider holding a garage sale, babysitting or serving as a "mystery shopper."

The suggestions were part of a five-page tip sheet published by the Coast Guard Support Program, an employee-assistance arm of the service often known as CG SUPRT. It is designated to offer Coast Guard members help with mental-health issues or other concerns about their lives, including financial wellness.

The Coast Guard receives funding from the Department of Homeland Security, and is subjected to the shuttering of parts of the government along with DHS's other agencies. That stands in contrast to other military services, which are part of the Defense Department and have funding.

The tip sheet, titled "Managing your finances during a furlough," applies to the Coast Guard's 8,500-person civilian work force. About 6,400 of them are on indefinite furlough, while 2,100 are working without pay after being identified as essential workers, said Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride, a service spokesman. They were last paid for the two-week period ending Dec. 22.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
im glad i was raised during Playstation 3 Era. Sony taught me to have more than 1 job to own a game console.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
im glad i was raised during Playstation 3 Era. Sony taught me to have more than 1 job to own a game console.
i paid for my ps3 by selling my WoW account after my guild broke up.

this is ridiculous, though from the thread title i thought this was the coast guard offering advice to general federal workers not coast guard employees.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I paid for my PS3 by being an idiot and getting a $1000 loan at 12% interest.

This is such crap on the Coast Guard's part lol.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Soon:

Are you broke because of the shutdown? Just join my pyramid scheme!

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: Despite the U.S. Coast Guard being a branch of the U.S Military, they are subject to the government shutdown because they receive their funding not from the Pentagon but from the Department of Homeland Security.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Garage sales are depressing and just a grim reminder how worthless your stuff is. It's desperation time when you have to resort to a garage sale.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Consider having a charity fund and raiding it constantly for personal expenses, no matter how small even if it's just $7 for your kids boy scouts membership, and without declaring any of it to the IRS. Not that it matters since they're closed too.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I seriously had to google mystery shopper lol

Consider having a charity fund and raiding it constantly for personal expenses, no matter how small even if it's just $7 for your kids boy scouts membership, and without declaring any of it to the IRS. Not that it matters since they're closed too.

[Huey]
You want to start a fundraiser with no cause?

[Riley]
Cause, n****?
I'm the cause
'Cause I wanna a house
'Cause I wanna a yacht
'Cause I wanna get this guap, n****
That's the cause

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...hutdown/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.40cbc2590e4c
Coast Guard families told they can have garage sales to cope with government shutdown

Employees of the U.S. Coast Guard who are facing a long U.S. government shutdown just received a suggestion: To get by without pay, consider holding a garage sale, babysitting or serving as a "mystery shopper."

The suggestions were part of a five-page tip sheet published by the Coast Guard Support Program, an employee-assistance arm of the service often known as CG SUPRT. It is designated to offer Coast Guard members help with mental-health issues or other concerns about their lives, including financial wellness.

The Coast Guard receives funding from the Department of Homeland Security, and is subjected to the shuttering of parts of the government along with DHS's other agencies. That stands in contrast to other military services, which are part of the Defense Department and have funding.

The tip sheet, titled "Managing your finances during a furlough," applies to the Coast Guard's 8,500-person civilian work force. About 6,400 of them are on indefinite furlough, while 2,100 are working without pay after being identified as essential workers, said Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride, a service spokesman. They were last paid for the two-week period ending Dec. 22.

We're not paying you so how about you meet us half way guys?
Listen, just hawk some gold, sell some organs, your kid doesn't need new pants.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
'A great source of income can be found right in your own home. Just reach down between the cushions in your couches and chairs and find loose change and go fuck yourself with it. Hope this helps our valued service members!'

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I had a garage sale when I moved last year, and I got all of $300 after selling basically everything I had. How is that supposed to make ends meet?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I had a garage sale when I moved last year, and I got all of $300 after selling basically everything I had. How is that supposed to make ends meet?
They're not worth the effort. Garage sales are insulting because the vultures expect everything for free or next to nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've seen inquiries by federal workers not being able to pay their heating bills. But apparently you might be able to get interest free Loans from a few federal employee credit unions or claim unemployment

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
"Have you tried spending more time away from family and friends, in order to survive through this bullshit temper tantrum the president is having?"

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017

Nah Garage sales are pretty much for pocket change and to get other people to get rid of your garbage for you so you're not just stuck trashing it. I would never expect to get actual value out of a garage sale.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
"We know you want to go without pay because you want a WALL. In case you are struggling, perhaps you can get a second job on top of the 40 hours you are working for this job?"

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Doesn't USAA cover their wages in the event of a shutdown? They did for me.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
"Have you tried sucking dick? There is endless demand for certain services."

Nah Garage sales are pretty much for pocket change and to get other people to get rid of your garbage for you so you're not just stuck trashing it. I would never expect to get actual value out of a garage sale.
Yep. The primary purpose of a garage sale is to scam others into hauling your garbage away.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Not sure what anyone expects the Coast Guard to do about this. They probably have regulations that a tip sheet has to be provided when employees haven't been paid in x amount of days. They're literally grasping at straws because they have no actual advice. The situation is fucked

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey I'm sure some don't mind. My coworker today told me that he expects TSA workers to continue working without pay because their job is too important. When asked what he thinks about those who live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to wait for the government to reopen, he said it doesn't matter, they should work and forego pay. Lots of people think this way.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
My wife and I have been selling things around the house we don't need since this shutdown began. We also had a cash offer for one of our two cars, but we were unable to complete the transaction because my wife was involved in an accident when she was on her way to find part-time work.

At the rate negotiations are going I guess I won't be able to buy her anything for her birthday in February nor have a party for my son when he turns 5 in March.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
yup.
had a night elf druid that i got field marshal gear with, plus one of the hammers from those random spawn dragons that we beat. Then i got some badass gloves or boots from the boss dragon in BWL. he was pretty decked out at the time.

I had some random guy offer me 1k for my Tier 2 Thunderfury Rogue in vanilla. Still kinda kicking myself for not doing so. Reading that you got $600 for that makes me think I could have gotton much more.

Oct 28, 2017
1. Shutdown Government.
2. Get a Job.
3. Shutdown Ends.
4. Government can no longer function because it has no employees.
5. ???
6. Profit!