• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. I'm loving the paradoxical nature of some of the late game puzzles. For example:

At one point I was carrying the world that I was inside of on my back with another world nested within it.

That's so fuggin' cool.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. I'm loving the paradoxical nature of some of the late game puzzles. For example:

At one point I was carrying the world that I was inside of on my back with another world nested within it.

That's so fuggin' cool.

At that point, my brain started to hurt, and I felt like I broke the game. 🤣

There were several times throughout my playthrough that I felt I was soft locked, but no… I'm just an idiot.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game and it's really good.
Got 100% achievements first time getting that on an xbox game. It took me less than 4 hours and I didn't have to look up anything.
The bosses were genuinely good. The artstyle and music are top notch. The puzzles were easy but that made them more on the fun and creative side.

Only disappointment is
No Final boss. Cause I enjoyed the bosses in this game so much I was looking forward to a final one.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
Ended up powering through this in a couple of sittings. It's a really slick game and well worth playing if you're into the sort of atmospheric puzzle thing, but as polished as it is it kind of left me feeling empty. I think going full abstract like they do here ends up distancing me more from the experience. I need a pinky toe at least grounding it in something real. Inside remains the king of this type of game. Starting out as just a boy on the run and descending into the weirdness that you experience in that game just makes it resonate so much better. I think that's why I liked Somerville as much as I did in spite of how janky that game could be at times.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Ended up powering through this in a couple of sittings. It's a really slick game and well worth playing if you're into the sort of atmospheric puzzle thing, but as polished as it is it kind of left me feeling empty. I think going full abstract like they do here ends up distancing me more from the experience. I need a pinky toe at least grounding it in something real. Inside remains the king of this type of game. Starting out as just a boy on the run and descending into the weirdness that you experience in that game just makes it resonate so much better. I think that's why I liked Somerville as much as I did in spite of how janky that game could be at times.
Somerville is genuinely good and the puzzle mechanic they use is fun it's just a shame some of the solutions do feel kinda janky and in these types of games confusion whether you're executing the sequence wrong or if that's not the correct sequence at all can be really devastating.

Inside and Little Nightmares are still my favorites when it comes to "vibes" but I did enjoy the abstract nature of Cocoon as well just at more of a distance.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to confirm, I can sweep the missing achievements just by loading? I can load anywhere I want?

ResetEraUser

Jun 9, 2022
Patrick's Parabox for sure. Takes the "nesting worlds" idea from this game to the absolute max. Repeatedly made me laugh as the dev wordlessly guides you through the many ridiculous implications, which happened in Cocoon as well.
I've heard that PP is like this game taken to the max, will have to check it out!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The save system in this is grand. It's quite incremental with the percentages, is it based on different levels or when it autosaves?

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Does this run well on Switch? Or does it make more sense on PC? Thinking of pausing other games to get this tonight :) Going in blind.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The save system in this is grand. It's quite incremental with the percentages, is it based on different levels or when it autosaves?
I think it just keeps checkpoint saves whenever there's an autosave. The save system is basically identical to the one in Inside. It works well for on-rails games like this.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. So is there a secret/true ending if you find all the ancestors or not? I'm pretty sure I did, but I can't find anything about a different ending online.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Does this run well on Switch? Or does it make more sense on PC? Thinking of pausing other games to get this tonight :) Going in blind.

Finished it on Switch. Fantastic game, but the framerate was never really smooth for me. Lots a little hiccups. If your going to play this on Switch, my advice would be: wait for a patch.

Tbh, wished I played it on my SteamDeck

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
What an excellent game. The atmosphere, art direction and difficulty were all pitch perfect. A few times I was just giggling at how the ideas were implemented. It all ramps up so easily. The solutions feel second nature by the end without ever explaining itself, even when just guessing and hoping. Definitely high on my list for this year!

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely perfect game game for me to cleanse the palette between Shadow Gambit and diving into Baldur's Gate 3 co-op. But 'palate cleanser' doesn't quite do it justice. Puzzle design is up there with Portal 1 and 2. I do prefer INSIDE's atmosphere (Cocoon is no slouch in this respect but a little more of an abstract experience), but this is certainly a much, much better game than the disappointment that was Somerville. What a year, eh?

gdiss

Banned
Jun 21, 2023
The game was excellent, I just wish that it had more to tell without it being too abstract. It could give us something for finding the different moon ancestors too, like a new cutscene or something like that.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The game was excellent, I just wish that it had more to tell without it being too abstract. It could give us something for finding the different moon ancestors too, like a new cutscene or something like that.

Agreed. It's a solid 9/10 for me and would've been 10/10 with just a little bit of added context for its world.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. It's a solid 9/10 for me and would've been 10/10 with just a little bit of added context for its world.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you guys here, I love the fact that this game offers the same experience to anyone in the world, you don't need to know a specific language to play it, you don't even need to know how to read. Any added story, context, lore or explanation would kinda ruin its alien worlds with any form of written language. But that's just me :)

sheeldz

Jun 8, 2021
I gotta say, the purple globe level boss is a disaster of boss design. Changing the rules mid fight is a bannable offense pal. We learned this a long time ago.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's very impressive that you seemingly can't soft lock yourself on any of the puzzles. Must have been a nightmare to design and test

I can only imagine the headache you'd get trying to visualize these logic puzzles during development. Programmers be like 🤔🤔🤔🤔🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What other games like this would you recommend playing? I've beaten it and want something similar. I've played the likes of Tunic, Baba Is You, Portal. Never touched inside or limbo.
"Recursed" is one of the hardest puzzle games I've ever played, and is a pure distillation of this concept. Cheap and excellent.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Finished it on Switch. Fantastic game, but the framerate was never really smooth for me. Lots a little hiccups. If your going to play this on Switch, my advice would be: wait for a patch.

Tbh, wished I played it on my SteamDeck

Thanks for the advice!

I actually got it on Steam when I heard "30fps on Switch" lol. Having a good time with it playing on the laptop connected to the TV!

What other games like this would you recommend playing? I've beaten it and want something similar. I've played the likes of Tunic, Baba Is You, Portal. Never touched inside or limbo.

Patrick's Parabox has a bit more of a recursive nature, and a traditional puzzle structure, but this game reminded me of it for some of its "inside the box" mechanics lol

Last edited:

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
It's very impressive that you seemingly can't soft lock yourself on any of the puzzles. Must have been a nightmare to design and test
If you take a step back and observe, the game follows a very linear progression and strictly limits what you have access to for a given puzzle, it's just very good at disguising it.

Last edited:

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I finished this game yesterday and it was possibly one of the most magical gaming experiences I can remember having. It took me less than 4 hours to finish but that time was close to gaming perfection.

You know that amazing feeling you get when you solve a puzzle which really blows your mind? This game was basically that constantly for the whole playtime for me, without any of the frustration of getting stuck beforehand. I really vibed with the world they'd created too, it was a fun adventure going through and seeing all of the weird stuff they'd designed, the game has a really fantastic atmosphere.

I think it is absolutely masterful design with how they guide you and somewhat limit your options in a way that prevents you from getting confused or wasting your time considering things which aren't relevant to the current puzzle. And everything being so intuitive with excellent visual language, there's no words in the game to teach you anything but it's always super clear what everything does.

I do wish it was a bit longer and had some kind of climactic moment, it was basically just steady build-up getting a bit crazier all the time until it just ends. Not a real problem but nailing an end section that ties it all together would have probably elevated this to GOAT territory for me.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I think this was the best boss battles I've ever played in a game. Absolute perfection.

Oct 25, 2017
Completed it yesterday and it's definitely in the conversation for me as a Game of the Year. Just a wonderfully atmospheric and creative game.

Sgt_Cream

Sep 20, 2023
Really enjoyed this game. Moved at a brisk pace and boss battles were great, felt 3d Mario influence in those battles.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
You could only wish for these types of puzzles in triple a games. The type of puzzles I'd thought I'd see in Zelda TotK. Hopefully the next Metroid Prime has some moments like this.

I'm only 33% in and this is probably my favorite game of the year

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
I really loved the game. Super clever puzzles, yet such a simple interaction scheme. A perfect example of games with non-verbal communication that easy you into new mechanics and concepts with visual cues.

Perfectly paced and not too long. Probably my favourite indie title this year.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I have so many conflicting feelings on the boss battles.

On the one hand, the visuals/designs were great. Mechanically and conceptually, they were well designed.

On the other hand, I know they tried to make retries as seamless as possible, but it was still annoying to get to the last phase of a boss, make a stupid mistake and get thrown back to the beginning. I found myself sweating and worrying about making a mistake when the rest of that game doesn't have that feeling at all, so tonally it was a little out of place.

But they look so cool. And some of their gameplay mechanics were cool. I don't love them but I don't hate them? I wish they weren't in the game but I'm glad they are? I dont know how to explain my feelings. Regardless they were my least favorite part gameplay-wise.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
The atmosphere created by the abstract nature and art direction puts this game way above Inside for me. I did not need context, the game never made me question what was happening. I was fine going along with it and my mind being blown at multiple points.

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the camp of peple who dug the boss fights. Each one was different, visually cool and mechanically surprising.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it, great game! Loved how trippy it got towards the end