Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Cool. Game is almost great? Hope they give it another shot.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
I found the story and music in this game super cool, just found the actual gameplay and level design insanely boring. They could make something great with a sequel, I think.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
By shipped I'm guessing it's counting the PS+ Essentials release

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of what Shift is is currently working on, so I would assume it would be a sequel.

As for the game, it's like a 7/10, but it's pretty alright for a Soulsborne not made by FromSoft. Think Bloodborne but with worse combat and way worse level design.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I found the story and music in this game super cool, just found the actual gameplay and level design insanely boring. They could make something great with a sequel, I think.
Yeah, art direction, character design (aside from the fanservice / gratuitous boobs) and a few other things like the main hub were great, which had me hyped. As soon as I played the game, and actually dove into the combat and levels... hoo boy. It was a stinker. Combat was super floaty, no feedback to your attacks, got lost in levels because every corridor looked the same, and I literally dozed off during one boss battle (some mermaid lady in a swamp) and then woke back up and still beat the boss.

I... am happy that something most consider a "soulslike" has found success, especially as it's a new IP, but I found out that this game was unfortunately not for me.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
Harada keeps winning. Wonder what other big games Bandai Namco Studios is working on beside Tekken 8 and Blue Protocol.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff. Really enjoyed the game got all the trophies on PS4. Waiting on that sequel!

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Code Vein 2 When? From that 'leak' last year, it was easily the game I wanted to be real the most. Code Vein was like a better version of Dark Souls 2, which is my favorite of the 3 DaSouls games.

I'd like it if they eased up on the gratuitous booba, but considering that's consistent with both Code Vein and God Eater, that's not likely. Scarlet Vein is much more my speed as far as designs go and here, since there's no uniforms, they'd be able to do more diverse outfits too.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I loved Code Vein and would love a sequel in the same vein. On the other hand, God Eater 3 without Shift was terrible so I want them to do GE4 as well. :/

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The most mid souls like. I enjoyed and completed it though. Hope they improve on the story, characters and bosses because it was a snorefest in that department.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this one got by purely by being "anime souls". Just a real mess of a story littered with truly arbitrary gameplay nonsense to try and eek out avenues for different endings.

Neat character creator though.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear. Lots of potential for a sequel that improves and expands on existing systems

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
Well deserved. And yet it continues to be an expensive God Eater advertisement. Just make a damned sequel already!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I could not get into this game. I thought it played pretty bad.

Congrats to them for those numbers. I hope a sequel polishes what was in this one.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of what Shift is is currently working on, so I would assume it would be a sequel.

As for the game, it's like a 7/10, but it's pretty alright for a Soulsborne not made by FromSoft. Think Bloodborne but with worse combat and way worse level design.

Level design is something the Souls likes tend to fumble. I don't think people expect From tier level design but often it's pretty woeful with these titles.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Enjoyed this game overall. I feel it scratched that Souls itch for me with the satisfaction of 'learning a level' with dying, learning enemy placements and how to deal with them, finding shortcuts, etc. I thought the companion system was neat, but found the AI was way too unpredictable for my liking (felt like one run they'd die to a boss in under 10 seconds, and in another they'd hold their own like a champ), which was probably my main knock against it. Otherwise really liked the anime look of it.

Genuinely surprised a sequel hasn't been formally announced yet (if it weren't for the pandemic, I would have fully expected one to have already been released by now). But then again, I don't have enough insight in sales data/budgets to know if 'over 3 million' is considered good or underperforming for this (though seems the former if they're drawing attention to it).

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed this game overall. I feel it scratched that Souls itch for me with the satisfaction of 'learning a level' with dying, learning enemy placements and how to deal with them, finding shortcuts, etc. I thought the companion system was neat, but found the AI was way too unpredictable for my liking (felt like one run they'd die to a boss in under 10 seconds, and in another they'd hold their own like a champ), which was probably my main knock against it. Otherwise really liked the anime look of it.

Genuinely surprised a sequel hasn't been formally announced yet (if it weren't for the pandemic, I would have fully expected one to have already been released by now). But then again, I don't have enough insight in sales data/budgets to know if 'over 3 million' is considered good or underperforming for this.
They'll be successful with these numbers for sure, but development was rocky. Started 2014, announced 2017, release date set for Sept 2018 in June 2018, and then delayed slightly over a year only a month later.

I figured this would be a bomba based on demo quality + finding the look hideous, but I learned a very important lesson. Never bet against anime.

... That said, curious to see if sales tank with the inevitable sequel.

EDIT: Also, the cost of this may have been comparable or maybe even higher than every From game except Elden Ring going by the credits (742 credited on Dark Souls 3, 1108 on Code Vein - though there's a fair bit of double counting, so probably in the 900 range or something).

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Same team that did Scarlet Nexus, right?

Haven't played Code Vein (despite owning it), but I played and really enjoyed Scarlet Nexus.

At any rate, good to hear it did well. Happy for the devs.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Same team that did Scarlet Nexus, right?

Haven't played Code Vein (despite owning it), but I played and really enjoyed Scarlet Nexus.

At any rate, good to hear it did well. Happy for the devs.
Nope, zero development crossover outside of one producer and two general producers (came from their division, but not the project specific producers). That was Tose + Bamco (decent amount of Tales and Smash people). This is Shift + other Bamco folks (mostly who worked with Shift on God Eater).

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I really, really disliked this game when I played it. But I finished it and would probably get a sequel if they at least kept the character creator.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
both are in PS+ right now, if I want to play just one, which one do you recommend? I'm more of a story/characters first before gameplay. don't have to be great story, but I like and need that wanting to know what happen next as motivation to keep playing until the end.

Scarlet Nexus would be the one you'd want to go with based on that description.

Dec 23, 2017
Graphically, it looked great. Game play wise? Not so great.

I was growing fatigued from constant booba being thrown my way, whether it was from NPC's or enemies too.

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
both are in PS+ right now, if I want to play just one, which one do you recommend? I'm more of a story/characters first before gameplay. don't have to be great story, but I like and need that wanting to know what happen next as motivation to keep playing until the end.

Yeah SN for sure, has a decent story and cast of characters.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, zero development crossover outside of one producer and two general producers (came from their division, but not the project specific producers). That was Tose + Bamco (decent amount of Tales and Smash people). This is Shift + other Bamco folks (mostly who worked with Shift on God Eater).
Huh, I see. For some reason I thought they were the same team. Hearing that this is from the God Eater team makes me a bit more excited since I've heard good things about that series too.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this game, would definitely play a sequel

As an aside interestingly I think it ticks the box for an "easy" soulslike

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
I was more or less enjoying the game, got to the white palace place and just quit... trying to copy Anor Londo is no easy feat.