Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
www.blu-ray.com

Collateral 4K Blu-ray

Paramount Home Media Distribution has officially announced that it will release on 4K Blu-ray Michael Mann's thriller Collateral (2004), starring Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, Jada Pinkett Smith, Eddie Diaz, and Mark Ruffalo. The release will be available for purchase on December 8.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • Audio Commentary by Director Michael Mann
  • City of Night: The Making of Collateral
  • Special Delivery
  • Deleted Scene with Commentary
  • Shooting on Location: Annie's Office
  • Tom Cruise & Jamie Foxx Rehearse
  • Visual FX: MTA Train

12245_tn.jpg

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Really curious how this transfer is going to look considering the source.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I love this film... riiggghht up until the point blank shoot out between Cruise and Fox.

Don't need to see that in 4K, no sire!

Wish Cruise would choose to play another baddie role ... 👮🏻‍♂️

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious how this transfer is going to look considering the source.

Exactly what I'm wondering.

I believe Collateral was only the second or third feature-length film to be shot entirely with digital cameras? The movie always looked kind of terrible - with a lot of that "noise" and weird soap-opera looking blur that early digital cameras were infamous for.

But still, it's one of my favorite films of all time, so I'll likely be picking this up even if it's only a marginal improvement over the bluray.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see how this one turns out. COLLATERAL is the only digital Mann joint that works for me (technically). Parts of MIAMI VICE look great but it's far more uneven.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
A few years ago, I took a trip to LA and was driving back to my hotel at night, and it immediately made me think of Collateral. LA is like a character itself in this movie, kinda like NYC in Ghostbusters.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Was the film even shot in 4K?

1080p. Here's an article about the cameras used:

American Cinematographer: Collateral

Director of photography Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC crafts an eerie atmosphere for the period thriller The Village.

A few years ago, I took a trip to LA and was driving back to my hotel at night, and it immediately made me think of Collateral. LA is like a character itself in this movie, kinda like NYC in Ghostbusters.

For sure.

"Using HD was something Michael had already settled on by the time I came aboard," recalls director of photography Paul Cameron (Man on Fire, Gone in 60 Seconds), who prepped Collateral and shot the first three weeks of principal photography. "He wanted to use the format to create a kind of glowing urban environment; the goal was to make the L.A. night as much of a character in the story as Vincent and Max were."

Was the film even shot in 4K?
The scenes inside the nightclub was shot on 35mm film due to some technical issues with the camera they were using not playing well with how bright the lights got in there, but the film was largely shot at 1080p otherwise. That being said, given how bold the color use in the film can be at times, HDR will likely be the real star of the show here, rather than native resolution. I've always really admired how much the film leaned into the digital aesthetic that would become Mann's go-to style from thereon, since it gave it a real live wire intensity that made it feel like everything that happened that night was entirely plausible.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how well Mann's digital era will translate to 4K but if its good then I'll buy them. If it benefits then I really want Miami Vice especially.

also best Cruise role for sure. defo think he should play more bad guys, once his MI stint is over hopefully he considers it.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the same camera as Attack Of the Clones. I wouldn't expect much.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes x1000. My favorite Mann film. He also gave an incredible commentary for it.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The most random and yet enthralling scene in a movie

Pretty sure Mann touches on this in his commentary. Its been over a decade so I may have it a bit wrong, but it a) is inspired by a real experience Mann had, and b) ties into Vincent's nihilism. Basically something like we are just on this planet for no reason and sooner or later nature will reclaim the asphalt jungles we've created as our existence fades away to nothingness.

He also explains the final shootout in great detail for those who don't like or don't believe that Max could ever beat Vincent.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Consider this purchased. Recently re-watched this movie, still incredible and one of my all-time favorites. Cruise really outdid himself in this one, dude was a fucking cold blooded maniac.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Easily Cruise's best role. It's a shame this movie is one of the rare instances in which he played a villain.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Pretty sure Mann touches on this in his commentary. Its been over a decade so I may have it a bit wrong, but it a) is inspired by a real experience Mann had, and b) ties into Vincent's nihilism. Basically something like we are just on this planet for no reason and sooner or later nature will reclaim the asphalt jungles we've created as our existence fades away to nothingness.

He also explains the final shootout in great detail for those who don't like or don't believe that Max could ever beat Vincent.
I thought it was plainly obvious that despite Vincent's talk about randomness and adapting, he fell back on the same technique he'd been using the entire film only to get taken out by a lucky shot from the normally rigid Max.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My GF and I rewatched it (or I should say I rewatched it, she had never seen it) maybe a month or two back and I still love it as much as ever. Its my favorite movie of 2004 and one of my favs of the decade. It's just so lean, mean and effortlessly cool.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
One of my top 10 best movies I've ever seen. Watching this in cinema was an awesome experience

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching this in theatres and absolutely falling in love with it. My favourite Mann movie.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
This will probably get a fair boost due to what it was shot with. It doesn't say anything about a new audio mix which is odd.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Cruise played one of the best villains in modern cinema in that movie. Love the music. I'll definitely get this for the collection.